Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:28 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 my father is anti pistol and anti carry 
 Post subject: my father is anti pistol and anti carry
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:48 am 

so how do i fix this?
here is some info....
he seems to think there is no valid reason for a handgun other then a 22 for trapping or some such.

we have alwasy been a family of shooters and hunters (just with rifles)

my first experience with my father and ccw was when he found my carry rig while looking for a pair of pants to borrow one day at the family country house up north, (i was completely leagle as well) very long story short the result was well very much less then positive

any how our relationship has improved and i would very much like to see him get into more of the shooting sports, he has asked me to teach him to become better with a rifle, and has made noticable strides twords shooting and hunting, so i am trying to figure a way into getting him into centerfire pistol.

the options i have come up with would be

1. just get him to the woods or range a few times with one
2. take him to my uncles and we all go shoot pistols
3. askhim to join a carry class with me and hopefully he will realize that the people at these classes are normal people just like him, not some crazy group of wild cowboys looking for trouble ( risky option i think, but with great risk comes great reward)

my ultimate goals are
A. get him like hand guns or at the least not think they are the worst thing out there

B. get him to get a permit of his own

C. Remind him of the fact that the US is not the same world he left 20 years ago when he went overseas to work and that he is now the man of the house and has mother to take care of, and with the animals running loose out there it is really a sound choice to make.

any ways i think he is starting to soften on it a bit, he called me the other day and told me he bought a 45 magnum (this odd caliber kind of jumped at me, but i do know a guy up north taht converted a s&w to 45 win mag, so it is not an impossible gun)
my first reaction was :D
then a half a second later was :? :?: :?
the he reminded me April fools :(
but i guess joking is the first step

any thoughts?

Last edited by DTDK on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:18 am 

Similar issue with my Father-in-Law...he loves guns/pistols but is anti-carry. We were shooting at an outdoor range this weekend and trying out his new CZ 9mm Police - (Nice gun) and he made a point of saying that guys at Gander told him that carry permits are more hassle than they are worth and you will be knee deep in legal fee if you ever use it...with the heaviest of sighs I said, "well, I guess if I ever had to use it, I would rather take my changes with the legal fee then have to live with the guilt of not being in a position to protect someone that I loved, like your daughter and grandchildren"

His response..."huh, good point"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:34 am 
Longtime Regular

Is he a Fudd or a Quigley?

Fudd - term used to describe hunting only type gun owners. Typically pro-NRA but completely oblivious to broader 2nd amendment issues (beyond the specific types of game they like to pursue).

Quigley - a movie reference to describe a rifleman who believes anything worth shooting is worth shooting at a distance. After winning an "old west" style gun fight, quoted as saying regarding pistols "I said I never had much use for one, not that I didn't know how to use it".

But then I re-read your post and the
Quote:
he has asked me to teach him to become better with a rifle
jumped out at me, making him sound clearly Fudd.

I'd say buy him a
Quote:
carry class with me and hopefully he will realize that the people at these classes are normal people just like him, not some crazy group of wild cowboys looking for trouble ( risky option i think, but with great risk comes great reward)
as a Father's Day gift. You picking up the tab & putting it in the "gift" context is a solid move to communicate to him that it is something you believe in. You'd be putting your money where your mouth is. At the same time it is hard to say "no" to a gift gracefully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:52 am 

fudd is definately the right term, as in additon to pistols he has a clear dislike of EBRs, this one though i am successfully changing by building an AR that does not look like standard military, some of the details are magpul prs stock with monopod, atn 6-24x75 scope, 24 inch fluted bull barrel, and i plan to get him shooting coyotes with it

after he gets at ease with that i will move him into an ak,

i am liking this gift idea, and think i will run with it
if i could come across one i would pick him up a reasonably priced 1911 such as a norinco ( when i bought mine 8 years ago it was 250 dollars for a used one, no idea what they cost now) and maybe some tune up parts for it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:13 am 
The Man

Sheesh. I can't say I've got no skin in the game, but I've been through this before, and really love it when a guy brings his father | mother | girlfriend with that sort of orientation to class.

No guarantees, but I got a pretty good batting average on this, once somebody gets into a seat.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:29 am 

I remember when I came out of the gun safe to my parents. My mom was worried more than my dad, naturally. My whole family are farmers ( we had dairy ). The most my dad had was a .22 revolver and a 12 gauge, after a while he was interested in learning about my pistols. (He was amazed at the shear size of my .45 diameter :lol: but you have to understand he's never even shot anything bigger than the .22 revolver).

I have hopes that one day I can get my dad to go and shoot with me. My mom actually became fairly understanding after the shock wore off 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

My father died before the personal protection act was written, but I don't think he would have been crazy about his boys carrying. Not that a parent's dissaproval every stops a kid :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:12 am 

No doubt he's a Fudd.

Is he a member of the American Hunters and Shooters Association?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:10 am 

the only thing i think he ever was a member of was DU a long time ago.

but on the other hand i had a conversation with him over the phone last night straight out of the twilight zone.
we got on to gun statistics some how talking about how many new gun owners there are and what not and i took the chance to press the envelope and thew in the when i carried a gun there was only 10 thousand carry permits in minnesota, now it is 60 thousand, his responce was wow really? so i started in sighting a few recent sensless violent crimes in minnesota and said that now the law allowed open carry so people have been hoping that will deter criminals, and that when i carried i never dreamed of open carry, i was told it would be charged as brandishing a firearm and i would go to jail. but even now i would not want to carry open as people would get bent out of shape about it (now this is where it gets interesting) his respones was well rightfully so ( at this point i cringed and thought ok i pushed to far here comes the wild cowboy gunslinger speach) but to my suprise the next thing he said was " most people just dont understand about guns "

WOW seems like something has happened that is making him re think some things or something
just kind of a positive change of attitudes i think

just thought i'd share, sorry about it being drawn out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:55 am 
Longtime Regular

Baby steps man, Baby steps :-)

When I got into this, someone close to me said "We don't need armed civilians everywhere. It will be like downtown Baghdad"

I still don't know if he was being serious or just overstating his case. We're ~3 years in and he has a couple permits as does his wife.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:16 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
Baby steps man, Baby steps :-)

Yep.

The first step is the recognition that there is one individual, somewhere, for whom keeping a gun for self-protection is a rational and reasonable thing to do.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:18 am 
Longtime Regular

1 % of MN residents is a permit holder

1/5 th of 1 % is an active LEO in MN

Chances of an LEO being in the right place at the right time to save your butt from a mass shooter (just picking the easy, where a criminal suddenly decides to be a threat to everyone) Vs. The chances of a permit holder being in the right place at the right time. Of course those odds spike even more sharply if you are a permit holder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:40 am 
Longtime Regular

Macx wrote:
1 % of MN residents is a permit holder

1/5 th of 1 % is an active LEO in MN

Chances of an LEO being in the right place at the right time to save your butt from a mass shooter (just picking the easy, where a criminal suddenly decides to be a threat to everyone) Vs. The chances of a permit holder being in the right place at the right time. Of course those odds spike even more sharply if you are a permit holder.

All of that is true, but it isn't personal. The first recognition is that there is one specific individual, for whom carrying a gun is a reasonable option.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:54 am 

well at the time of his finding my rig, i had already had 2 DGU's , but that made no difference to him at the time i am not sure why, but he used the rational of one happened at our home where i had to run some folks off and the other happened while i was out shooting already, i i guess his rational is i didnt need a permit those times so why carry a gun, maybe now that he has been back in the US for about a year now he is starting to really belive what goes on goes on in minnesota just as well as new york, la or chicago.

what ever the reason is, i am glad he is turning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:08 am 

interesting update,

he just called me and asked if i wanted to take a carry class with him when i get home........ just out of the clear blue sky

apperently my uncle is taking one so it got him thinking, also he needs a permit from the US that shows he is allowed to own guns for a hunting trip to NZ next february.

so while the motives are not the most ideal, hopefully he will see that carrying is not a bad idea, i am trying to talk him into one of joels classes, but we may not be able to becasue he does not have room in one while i am home

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.