Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:47 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Shreveport Citizens Disarmed By Police For 2A Bumper sticker 
 Post subject: Shreveport Citizens Disarmed By Police For 2A Bumper sticker
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

[There are over 250 comments just today and still coming in]

Quote:
Shreveport Citizens Disarmed By Police For 2nd Amendment Bumper Stickers

http://www.infowars.com/shreveport-c...mper-stickers/

July 7, 2009

Welcome to Shreveport: Your rights are now suspended. According to Cedric Glover, mayor of Shreveport, Louisiana, his cops “have a power that [. . .] the President of these Unites States does not have”: His cops can take away your rights.

Cedric Glover, mayor of Shreveport, Louisiana, claims to have the authority to suspend the Constitution. And would you like to guess which rights he has in mind? Just ask Shreveport resident Robert Baillio, who got pulled over for having two pro-gun bumper stickers on the back of his truck — and had his gun confiscated.

While the officer who pulled him over says Baillio failed to use his turn signal, the only questions he had for Baillio concerned guns: Whether he had a gun, where the gun was, and if he was a member of the NRA. No requests for a driver’s license, proof of insurance, or vehicle registration — and no discussion of a turn signal.

Accordingly, Baillio told the officer the truth, which led the police officer to search his car without permission and confiscate his gun.

However, not only does Louisiana law allow resident to drive with loaded weapons in their vehicles, but Mr. Baillio possessed a concealed carry license!

What does such behavior demonstrate, other than transparent political profiling — going so far as to use the infamous Department of Homeland Security report on “Americans of a rightwing persuasion” as a how-to guidebook, no less?

Mr. Baillio made no secret of his political affiliations: An American flag centers a wide flourish of pro-freedom stickers and decals on his back windshield.

In fact, when Baillio asked the officer if everyone he pulls over gets the same treatment, the officer said no and pointed to the back of his truck.

Baillio phoned Mayor Glover to complain about this “suspension of rights” only to find that his city’s morbidly obese “commander in chief” was elated at the story: According to Glover, Baillio got “served well, protected well, and even got a consideration that maybe [he] should not have gotten.”

Thankfully, Mr. Baillio recorded a good bit of that phone call. You can watch a video with the transcriptions here. I’ve reproduced a chunk of the call below:

Baillio: (in the context of being asked about the presence of a gun) Well, I answered that question honestly, and he disarmed me.

Glover: Which would be an appropriate and proper action, sir. The fact that you gave the correct answer — it simply means that you did what it is you were supposed to have done, and that is to give that weapon to the police officer so he could appropriately place it in a place where it would not be a threat to you, to him, or to anyone in the general public.

Glover: My direction to you is that, had you chosen not to properly identify the fact that you had a weapon and directed that officer to where that weapon was located; had you been taken from the vehicle, and the officer, in the interest of his safety, chose to secure you in a safe position, and then looked, found, and determined that you did, in fact, have a weapon…then, sir, you would have faced additional, [inaudible], and more severe criminal sanctions.

Baillio: So what you’re saying is: I give up all my rights to keep and bear arms if I’m stopped by the police: Is that correct?

Glover: Sir, you have no right, when you have been pulled over by a police officer for a potential criminal offense [which would be what?! - DB] to stand there with your weapon at your side in your hand [Baillio's weapon was nowhere near his side or his hand, and Glover knew that. -- DB] because of your second amendment rights, sir. That does not mean at that point your second amendment right has been taken away; it means at that particular point in time, it has been suspended.

——————————————————————————————-

Will Grigg from ProLibertate, an excellent freedom blog, has this to say:

According to Glover, a police officer may properly disarm any civilian at any time, and the civilian’s duty is to surrender his gun — willingly, readily, cheerfully, without cavil or question.

From Glover’s perspective, it is only when firearms are in the hands of people other than the state’s uniformed enforcers/oppressors that they constitute a threat, not only to the public and those in charge of exercising official violence but also to the private gun owner himself.

NAGR spoke with Mr. Baillio, and he told us that he’s in the process of securing the official procedures and codes for firearm handling and private property confiscation for the Shreveport police department.

So far, the city has been half-heartedly cooperating with him.

“I felt sick,” Baillio told NAGR. “My uncles didn’t die for this country so I could surrender my rights like a wimp. I felt terrible. I was just thinking of all that my family has done for freedom in this nation — including dying — and here they are disarming me at a traffic stop.”

What to do?

1. Read Luke’s commentary here, and participate in the discussion by leaving a comment.
2. Send this around. This kind of behavior cannot go unchecked.
3. Call Mayor Glover’s office to complain: (318) 673-5050.

I’ll leave you with one last consideration. As a licensed firearms instructor in charge of a hundred different students every month, I’m often asked if citizens should voluntarily inform police officers of the presence of a firearm during a routine traffic stop.

While different states have different laws, my answer for Colorado citizens is an emphatic “No”: Colorado law doesn’t require you to volunteer that kind of information, and this case in Louisiana proves why, if at all possible, you should never invite trouble by doing so.

In liberty,
Dudley Brown
Executive Director
National Association for Gun Rights

I concur, do not offer any information that is not pertenent to the traffic stop. What say you? What does your local/state laws say?

Here's the video of the phone conversation with the Mayor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa_G5NvfyVU (part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGMe1av1vDE&NR=1 (part 2)

MODERATOR MESSAGE:
Edited subject line

- DeanC, Forum Moderator

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject: Re: Shreveport Citizens Disarmed By Police For 2A Bumper sticker
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:01 am 

Okay . . . based on this story, I have a couple questions being a relative newcomer to CC:

1. My PtC instructor highly recommended that in any traffic stop that you inform the officer that you have a permit to carry and that you are presently armed. He did a great job with the class, but he is also a Chief of Police. Is this good advice or not?

2. If there is no criminal offense (or nothing that would warrant disarming or arrest), are you required to relinquish your firearm if an officer tells you to (practical issues aside)?

3. More practically, how would one go about giving the firearm over if that was the right/safest course of action? I can't imagine the the LEO wants anyone drawing a loaded weapon. . . Do you just raise your hands and tell them to take it themselves?

It is sad that we even have to consider these scenarios. . .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:13 am 
Longtime Regular

Prhyme wrote:
1. My PtC instructor highly recommended that in any traffic stop that you inform the officer that you have a permit to carry and that you are presently armed. [...]

1) you're required to inform them truthfully when asked. Opinions vary on why / when / how to do this.
What I teach: It's up to you whether to inform preemptively when the gun is not an issue. My opinion is if the gun is not involved, not an issue, and not likely to become part of the issue, it's just muddying the waters.

That said, IF they're going to encounter it or see it then YOU want to calmly inform them ahead of time. Saves the surprise, adrenaline, panic, and possible aftermath.
ex: they ask you to step out of the car, it's visible from outside the car, you're going to open the console or glove box where the gun is to get insurance papers or something.

How to do the informing: DON'T use the word Gun.
Quote:
"Officer, I have a carry permit and am carrying today. How would you like to proceed?"

Prhyme wrote:
2. If there is no criminal offense (or nothing that would warrant disarming or arrest), are you required to relinquish your firearm if an officer tells you to [...]?

2) The side of the road is not the place to ague with an officer. If it's a traffic stop or a Terry Stop (They have Probable Cause to stop you) they may disarm you for officer safety. If they've stopped you, they've probably given thought to the Probable Cause anyway and will be able to articulate it.

Prhyme wrote:
3. [...]how would one go about giving the firearm over if that was the right/safest course of action? I can't imagine the the LEO wants anyone drawing a loaded weapon. . . Do you just raise your hands and tell them to take it themselves?

3) "Sure, officer, no problem, how would you like to proceed, what would you like me to do?" Clear, concise, obvious compliance while making notes of how they handle it in case you need to complain later through your attorney - Don't worry, they'll be VERY specific. You might offer a helpful hint if you think it will make things safer. ex: Officer, the holster snaps over the belt. If you unsnap those two snaps on either side, the whole thing will come out / off without unholstering the firearm. (Don't sound condescending but then again, I don't want to have my gun manipulated / unloaded while pointed at my back either)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:46 am 
Forum Moderator

Two things....

Infowars and Alex Jones seem to be the home of every conspiracy nut (especially the NWO bunch) on the planet, you need a great BS detector to read anything over there.

Way too many of the 400+ comments are inane religious arguments about the bible and hunting, talk about thread drift!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:52 am 
The Man

Prhyme wrote:
Okay . . . based on this story, I have a couple questions being a relative newcomer to CC:

1. My PtC instructor highly recommended that in any traffic stop that you inform the officer that you have a permit to carry and that you are presently armed. He did a great job with the class, but he is also a Chief of Police. Is this good advice or not?

No. I wonder what else he got wrong, and why. What did he tell you with regard to talking to the police in the wake of the use or threat of lethal force?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:14 am 

Is this the same guy who got pulled over for the "don't tread on me" bumper sticker? I believe that was also in Louisiana if I'm not mistaken. The bumper sticker was considered to be 'subversive' by the officer. In that case I don't believe the officer articulated ANY other reason for pulling him over other than the bumper sticker.
'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
Prhyme wrote:

No. I wonder what else he got wrong, and why. What did he tell you with regard to talking to the police in the wake of the use or threat of lethal force?

That's a good question...I'm not looking to bash, but I do think there can too easily be a conflict of interest here if the instructor doesn't make a concerted effort to remove their LEO hat and put on their PTC Instructor hat.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:14 pm 

mrokern wrote:
joelr wrote:
Prhyme wrote:

That's a good question...I'm not looking to bash, but I do think there can too easily be a conflict of interest here if the instructor doesn't make a concerted effort to remove their LEO hat and put on their PTC Instructor hat.

-Mark

I agree about the potential for conflict of interest whether intentional or not. My class was also taught be a LEO so I'm sure there was some LEO bias on some concepts. But, I've read Joel's book and gotten lots of different viewpoints on things from this forum so personally I think I've gotten a good well rounded bit of information on the subject. I plan to take my class from a non LEO instructor next time so as to get yet another viewpoint without (hopefully) any LEO bias.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:06 pm 

Yeah, I suppose there could be some LEO bias if trained by a MALEFI, etc., but if you want inside the mind of a LEO on a traffic stop, you might need to solicit this info from a LEO who does (or has done) traffic stops. But of course, that has been covered extensively on here in other threads.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:44 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

Lots more information from a non-loony source here.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Long Ago LEO wrote:
Yeah, I suppose there could be some LEO bias if trained by a MALEFI, etc., but if you want inside the mind of a LEO on a traffic stop, you might need to solicit this info from a LEO who does (or has done) traffic stops. But of course, that has been covered extensively on here in other threads.

Yup, I agree in entirety. I was just hypothesizing that what may be seen as a legal exercise of a right by a good LEO may be used against someone by another.

I happen to err on the side of telling the LEO during a stop, unless I'm deeply concealed. I don't want to make their job any more stressful than it needs to be. Do I take the specific LEO into account? Yup. I'm a lot more likely to voluntarily disclose to say, Eden Prairie, than I am to Minneapolis.

ETA - That's just me. It's worked in my favor a couple of times. I thank EP and St. Louis Park for that.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:45 am 
1911 tainted

Depending on the situation, but if the LEO does not ask, you are not required to inform, it is your call if you want to volunteer this information. Based on some of my past experience with LEO's, I will not voluntarily inform, I do not want to introduce anymore stress in a situation than needed. If there was a chance of the LEO seeing my carry weapon, then I would inform, again to avoid a stressful situation with a LEO. The two times I was pulled over and carrying, I did not inform and they did not ask, even though it was reasonable to believe they knew I was carrying.

2. If there is no criminal offense (or nothing that would warrant disarming or arrest), are you required to relinquish your firearm if an officer tells you to (practical issues aside)?
If the officer ask for it, surrender it in a safe and proper manner, or as instructed by the LEO. I tell my students that no matter how many of your rights are being infringed on, no matter how legally wrong a LEO is, do not resist, you will loose, so comply. If that LEO did violated your legal rights, get an attorney and take legal actions, his department just may pay for your world tour vacation.

3. More practically, how would one go about giving the firearm over if that was the right/safest course of action? I can't imagine the the LEO wants anyone drawing a loaded weapon. . . Do you just raise your hands and tell them to take it themselves?
Ask the officer how he would like to proceed. At that point pray that he has a clue as to what he is doing, how your handgun operates and exercises the basic safety rules.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:32 am 

mrokern wrote:
joelr wrote:
Prhyme wrote:

-Mark

Being as I have never had another instructor, I can't really compare, but I do have say that I was impressed with the job he did. The LEO hat never really seemed to come on, with the exception of the above and when he explained some incidents when he was legally justified to use lethal force and what the alternative was that he chose. He did not share any over-glorified gunfight stories or talk about the time he did use lethal force, except for mentioning the emotional toll it took. He also was adamant that after a use or threat of lethal force a cop is not your friend and that you keep your mouth shut until you have an attorney present.

Also, thank you guys for all the input. No matter how good a class is, there is only so much that one can fit into (or remember) in six hours.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:50 am 
Longtime Regular

Thanks Reaver-
Quote:
After the stop was completed, and my gun was was returned, I thought about the events that had happened.
puts a whole different spin on it. Cops playing with firearms during traffic stops (unloading just for the sake of it . . . unless you are in NJ and checking to see it isn't loaded with HP's there is no benefit to this action, removing from holsters where holsters can be removed enbloc, that kind of macho - cowboy B.S.) is an unfortunate reality & perhaps 100% the responsibility of the show "cops" most of the episodes of which were filmed before several states had carry laws & a loaded gun would be an additional charge-able offense . . .. However stupid and backwards that "tradition" by cops of fondling and unloading lawfully owned guns, this was not a "confinscation" as the first article never mentioned the gun being returned at the end of the stop.

Also
Quote:
Right after I stopped, I got out of my truck and walked toward the tailgate.
. . .
Quote:
Right there I was directly in his headlights, and I wanted to be sure he could see that I wasn’t carrying any kind of weapon . . .
JEEZ! ya wanna make a cop nervous at a traffic stop, just get out of your car without being asked & do the "I'm taking the lead in the felony stop dance" and start holding your hands up, turning around with your overshirt up so the officer can see your waistband and blah, blah, blah.. . . act like a felon. . . get treated like a felon :bang: Dang it, I almost started siding with the cop when I read that!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:29 pm 

Related question:
I often see print-outs in packet of police reports - one sheet of which has basic DL info, but also says something like "Carry Permit:" then No or Yes.

Is this information available to police officers in Minnesota on their MDTs (mobile data terminals) in their squad cars? Or, is it something the dispatch radio operator would have to inform them?

I'm curious in relation to the FAQ: "Should I bring up carrying to an officer after being stopped in traffic?" Perhaps, they already know?

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.