Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Is this really true? Gun racks now legal in MN? 
 Post subject: Re: Is this really true? Gun racks now legal in MN?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

JimC wrote:
Now wait- others said with a permit you can carry a long gun.

DeanC wrote:
Your carry permit does nothing for you while transporting long guns other than take up space in your wallet.

Carry vs. transport. Different legal meanings...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:57 pm 
The Man

JimC wrote:
Now wait- others said with a permit you can carry a long gun.

DeanC wrote:
Your carry permit does nothing for you while transporting long guns other than take up space in your wallet.

Yup. "Carry" and "transport" are different words, and different concepts. 624.7181 makes it legally impossible for you to "carry" a long gun in public; it doesn't affect the legal requirements to "transport" it in a car.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
624.7181 makes it legally impossible for you to "carry" a long gun in public; it doesn't affect the legal requirements to "transport" it in a car.

That depends on the definition of "carry," which is untested. A plain reading would suggest any form of conveyance, but we don't have any case law, or assurance that Minnesota courts could find their asses with both hands when it comes to gun laws.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:41 pm 

Just to clarify, gun racks, are not now, and never were, illegal in Mn. You could always have a cased long gun in a gun rack. It is the uncased part that has changed [for most of the state anyway].

I have a regular cab pickup and when travelling to go hunting in Montana, I routinely put my large rifle with large scope in a thin "gun sock" and transported it in a rear window gun rack. I needed all the cab space I had and didn't want my expensive rifle riding in back.

As long as the gun was unloaded and cased, everything was legal.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.