Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Out of State Carry 
 Post subject: Out of State Carry
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:15 pm 

I just got back from a road trip that took me to, or through, 5 other states. I hold a MN and UT carry permit, and decided to carry when/where I could, but it got confusing to the point I wasn't sure what to do.

I stopped in the Chicago area for 3 days. This was a headache. I know I can't carry, and wanted to stay legal, so I did my best. The gun was unloaded, broken down, and put in a locked case while in the car. When I got to my hotel, which was in a western suburb, not in Cook county (Oakbrook Terrace), I locked the case to the frame of the hide-a-bed in my hotel room, under the cushions, since they didn't have in-room safes. Then I piled my luggage on top to hopefully keep hotel staff from finding the box and asking questions. I didn't want it in my car, since it would be going into Chicago, where possession is illegal, even locked in a case in the car (they don't think the Heller decision applies to them). I didn't have any problems, and think I was legal at all times anyway.

After Chicago, I went to Cincinnati. My MN permit is good in Indiana and Kentucky (where I was actually staying), and UT is good in Ohio. It got confusing as to where I could go that was off-limits though. I had lunch one day at a place in Newport, Kentucky that has a bar in it. I feared that I was breaking KY law at the time, but later reviewed my material and it was a little ambiguous. The way I read it, the bar itself is off-limits, but the booths where meals are served are ok. In Ohio, there is controversy over Fountain Square in Cinci, which has a "rules" sign that includes a weapons ban, but that sign is as illegal there as it would be if the park (and sign) were in Minneapolis. They also ban in restaurants with a "class D liquor license." Who is that? Does the rib place I ate at that has a bar upstairs have a class D license? I also noticed some places with small gun ban signs on the door, which I had to assume were sufficient under OH & KY law, though they are easier to miss than MN. In one place I went, I didn't carry, and was glad I didn't because I didn't notice the sign until I was leaving.

I guess the point of this post isn't so much to ask the nuances of the laws in other states, but what do you all do when going out of state? It can be especially confusing in places like Cincinnati, where the state line borders the city, so you have to know 2 (or 3) states laws. Having the UT permit, I didn't want to leave my gun in the car all the time while in OH, as the point of getting UT was to be able to carry in states that honor UT but not MN.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Out of State Carry
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:40 am 
Journeyman Member

I now live in UT, and drive back and forth to MN semi-regular.

Two good sources of info are-

www.handgunlaw.us
www.opencarrry.org

Going to read through some of the forums that are state specific before you go is a good idea. Gives you a general idea what the gun attitude is in each state and also any updates to state law. Nevada recently dropped UT and it was posted quickly, way before news organizations picked it up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:20 am 

Thanks for the advice. I was aware of handgunlaw.us, and also like http://www.usacarry.com/ They have a cool interactive map that takes into account whether you are a resident of the state your permit is from, for a little more accurate representation of where you can carry. For example, I can't carry in CO because they don't honor MN, and only honor UT if you are a UT resident.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:35 pm 
1911 tainted

Onesimus wrote:
I can't carry in CO because they don't honor MN, and only honor UT if you are a UT resident.
Good catch, most that I talk to never catch that about Colorado, I have to argue with them to pay attention to the "color" or the "*", Those are a hint that there is more specific info, usually at the bottom of the chart or page.

The other thing on Handgunlaw.us, move your curser over the gray bar near the top where is says -
Law Links : Law Links 2 : Travel Links : Travel Links 2 : Indian Nations : Knife Law Links : Statistics
There are links to state laws and codes, this might be a better source for some information if you want a print out of a specific state law for future rference.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.