Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Nurse questions me about firearms in my house.... 
 Post subject: Re: Nurse questions me about firearms in my house....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:28 pm 

Inebrius wrote:
Any doctors in the house know exactly what happens with that information? Is that a personal medical history question only kept in a file for my physician and my or is this some government survey they will be turning into some health authorities like that non-politically biased center for disease control? And now that leaves me wondering if and who I should contact to raise hell with over this.

Haha, doctors know? Seriously though, I'd ask the MA or some of the nurses if you really would like to know, they generally are the ones who actually handle records management, and very few doctors are actually aware of where the chart info may end up (not their fault, they can't be expected to do everything, they're busy people). And specific chart info is sent to different places, depending on where the info is needed, and the laws surrounding it (for example, any info on chemical dependency is extremely controlled).

Most of the generally chart questions were designed with a specific situation in mind, and generally don't apply to the patient population at large. But if you were wearing full camo gear, the staff might think you're a gun-nut.

And Congrats!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wow. It was over four years ago that I blogged about looking at the wrong dangers.

http://andrew-rothman.livejournal.com/4108.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:07 am 
Longtime Regular

I have a GP that we love. He has a very small practice (one doc, nurse is also his wife/ secretary). He was helpful in getting the guns back for me, that MPD unlawfully seized a while back. The questions are on his forms for my little girl's checkups. It wouldn't surprise me if it is required by some law. He gives me zero hassles. I figure the gov't already knows about my guns (yeah 4473 data gets destroyed . . . right . . . :roll: ) so any data they get from my doc (not that he'd cooperate) is just stuff they already know. If it comes down to the gov't knowing I have guns = brown shirts kicking in the door to seize, no amount of "it fell in a lake" is going to satisfy, until the brown shirts have destroyed some antiques, done structural damage to the joint, killed a pet, and seized stuff neither listed on the warrant nor criminal to posess. . . anyway. Not like I have any experience :wink: dealing with that kind of stuff.

Of course the county may kidnap your child and hold your child hostage unless you release your medical records & upon releasing your medical records, decided that the fact that you keep guns in your house or the like poses a risk to your child justifying more extortion. Not like I have any experience :wink: dealing with that kind of stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Congrats to you both!

Cat is out of the bag... so do you trust that your provider will not give that info to government types tied to your name. You missed the opportunity to cut it off but I don't believe trying to fix it will get you anything other than more notes in the file.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:40 am 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
It is part of the medicalization of safety practices and domestic violence. Yes, the answer will stay in your chart. It will probably go no farther.

Doctors and nurses are not priests, and the hospital is not a confessional.

At least it will stay in your chart until the government takes over the healthcare system anyway.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:28 am 
Journeyman Member

If I ever get asked that, I will ask about the sexual practices of the inquisitor. I have just as much right to that information as they do of what they ask me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:24 pm 

Got asked the two gun questions at my newborn's two month check up.

1.Do you have guns in the house?

Of course I do.

2. Are they all locked?

All but one. But I doubt she can rack the slide on the old 870 just yet.

Got some funny looks, but the Dr. understood where I was going with it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.