Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Florida Gun Range "Mishap" 
 Post subject: Florida Gun Range "Mishap"
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:13 pm 
Journeyman Member

LAKELAND, Fla. — A Tampa couple and an Irish tourist were shot at a Lakeland gun range after a handgun accidentally fired.

Polk County sheriff's deputies say it's not entirely clear how many times Michael and Sherri Thourot's 9mm accidentally went off Saturday, or what caused the handgun to fire. The pistol was a Jennings make.

The man in an adjacent stall, 29-year-old Gary Flynn, of Ireland, was most seriously injured. He underwent surgery after being hit in the shoulder and throat, and was listed in stable condition.

Michael Thourot was shot in the left hand, and Sherri Thourot was hit in the left arm. Both were also listed in stable condition.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,559 ... latestnews

Don't you just hate it when your gun accidentally goes off? :roll:

Post subject: Re: Florida Gun Range "Mishap"
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

More detailed story...whole lot of fail in this one (bold is mine, emphasizing the fail):

http://www.theledger.com/article/20091003/NEWS/910039958/1410?Title=Three-Hurt-in-Gun-Range-Accident

Quote:
Three Hurt in Gun Range Accident

By Shoshana Walter
THE LEDGER

LAKELAND | A Tampa man’s gun accidentally fired Saturday at a Lakeland gun range, wounding him and two others, authorities said.

Michael Patrick Thourot, 47, had just set down his Jennings 9mm handgun at the Saddle Creek Shooting Range when the gun went off, striking Thourot in the left hand, his wife Sherri, 46, in the left arm, and 29-year-old Gary Flynn in the shoulder and throat, the Polk County Sheriff’s Office said.

The incident happened about 10:30 a.m. By Saturday evening, all three were in stable condition at Lakeland Regional Medical Center. Flynn was awake and talking after he had surgery.

“According to them, they set the gun down and it just went off and started spewing rounds,” Sgt. Ken Hall said Saturday at the scene.

The gun may have been altered, leading to the malfunction. Hall said detectives will know more once they take the gun apart and inspect it.

Flynn, who is from Ireland, was at the range with a friend who lives in Davenport. The Thourots were visiting the range from Tampa.

Flynn was standing in the shooting stall next to the Thourots.

Detectives say the gun fired at least three times after Thourot set it down facing his wife, rather than downrange, which is considered a proper safety procedure. The gun began to spin, striking Flynn, who stood next to a bench a few feet away.

At least 16 others were using the range at the time. One person helped Michael Thourot to the bathroom to clean up his hand while Flynn lay on the ground, awaiting the arrival of EMS. No others were injured.

The range at 3716 Morgan Combee Road is owned by the county and frequently receives visitors from neighboring counties. Saturday afternoon, the range closed early.

The incident is still under investigation.

Get. :bang: Off. :bang: My. :bang: Side. :bang:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:11 am 

I don't even know where to begin!! If that gun has been altered (which I doubt) someone needs some serious jail time. If the gun hasn't been altered someone still needs some serious jail time. He set the gun down and it just started spewing bullets, please! He set the gun down facing his wife! What an idiot! :bang: I feel for all who got injured but I really feel for the guy one lane over who got shot while minding his own business. Wow! Major lawsuit coming from that guy.

Edit: Misread one sentence in the article and had to edit accordingly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:06 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
The pistol was a Jennings make

Their first mistake...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:53 am 
Longtime Regular

For the sake of debate, it's a Jennings pistol, and they didn't say what kind of alteration was made. There are a few points in there. To start, it's a pistol that's not really such high quality. That in itself is an issue, but alterations often have to be made to not so high quality guns in order to get them working in a halfway decent way. Alterations don't necessarily mean grinding stuff down, but could mean swapping out for aftermarket parts. Get a low quality pistol and aftermarket parts that don't fit as well into a gun that probably doesn't have the tight tolerances that some others do and who knows what you could brew up.

Pointing the gun at something was stupid, but I'm going to withhold judgment on the alteration issue. I know I've altered several of my guns. Just depends what you consider to be an alteration.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:56 pm 

I investigated an incident where the subject shot himself multiple times with a pistol, claiming that recoil from his first shot caused the gun to "bump". Further investigation revealed he was spinning it on his finger Old-West style and accidentally fired it several times in rapid succession.

FWIW, he is no longer a cop.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.