Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 new ruger 10 22 vs. older 10 22s 
 Post subject: new ruger 10 22 vs. older 10 22s
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:24 am 

I read on another gun site that Ruger is making new Rugers with plastic sights, plastic internal parts etc.

I guess if you want an older one with metal parts you have to find one made before Jan. of 2008.

Anyone have newer 10 22s? What do you think of them etc.

I'm also wondering what are the best mags the 10 22-- Internet reviews lean towards Butler Creek steel lip mags.

Post subject: Re: new ruger 10 22 vs. older 10 22s
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:04 am 

The newer built 1022s have plastic trigger housing, plastic trigger, poorly/roughly sanded receivers with soft crinkle paint to cover up the machining marks, and a redesigned hammer that doesn't use hammer bushings. The stainless models have these same new parts but also use silver/gray paint on the barrel and receiver to imitate stainless. There's an ongoing debate about whether the plastic trigger housing will stand up to repeated use -- e.g., whether the pin holes will elongate, etc. --, but I haven't seen hard data to show failures. The redesigned hammer and lack of hammer bushings can cause some inconvenience if you're trying to upgrade to an aftermarket hammer because you often need the stock hammer bushings with the aftermarket hammer. The bushings can be bought from Ruger, Midway, etc., though. The new paint isn't very strong, and most of it that is on the inside of the receiver will flake off as the bolt slides back and forth, causing the gun to jam as the paint and lube you've used create a gunk. After shooting and cleaning the first few times you use the new gun -- BTW, only with a synthetic safe cleaner because anything harsher will remove the paint from the outside of the receiver as well -- most of the paint is rubbed off from the inside of the receiver and this initial problem goes away. Bottom line is that if you buy a new one, you can buy aftermarket metal parts to replace all of the plastic and you just need to break the gun in via cleaning, etc. to get it to run 100%. Spend many, many hours reading posts over at rimfirecentral.com and you'll learn everything you could ever want to know about 1022s.

As for aftermarket 25 round mags, the best ones are the Tactical Innovations version. They come in a hard plastic that is virtually indestructible. (Note that they used to make a metal bodied one but they are very expensive and really overkill in light of how strong the composite is that TI uses now.) The best part of their design is that you can tune at what angle they feed the round into your chamber via four set screws in their top frame. They may also be completely disassembled for cleaning. Don't ever waste your money on the Ramline mags, and the Butler Creek are hit or miss. Some folks have success with the BC ones with the metal lips, but again, the TI are better -- although more money. When it comes right down to it, having a bunch of 10 round factory mags is the best option. If you keep your eyes open, Midway will have them on sale for around $12.00 each at times.

Good luck,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:19 am 
Longtime Regular

Very nice summary Onebo. That is pretty much what I have seen on the new ones too.

The factory mags can also be had for, IIRC, $12.99 or $13.99 at Fleet Farm. CDNN also has free shipping deals once in a while and has them for that same price range when they are in stock.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:52 am 

I got one for my birthday as a kid (probably ~10 years ago), it was the black synthetic stock and the stainless barrel. Really nice, but then I looked at one the other day at gander, looked just like mine, but when I picked it up, it felt and looked so cheap. definitely not making them like they used to.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:24 am 
Longtime Regular

I believe mine is the newer version as Onebohemian described. It got better the more used and cleaned. I did get a crappy extractor with it, which has since been replaced with a Volquartzen extractor. That made all the difference in the world ($11.00 fix).

As far as the rest goes, I'm not real worried about it. 10/22's are the aftermarket paradise of .22 LR's. Besides if you are unlucky and it does fail some day, its about as cheap to buy another rifle as it is to fix yours. (How many tens of thousands of rounds will that take? Who knows.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think that the basic design is as sound as ever. The finishing of the newer firearms is what sucks.

The factory mags are pretty much foolproof. I bought my 10/22 almost 25 years ago and it always runs, feeds anything and is accurate. I also have a 25 round RamLine mag that I bought in the late '80 and have never had a problem with it. It will always feed whether I'm shooting slowly or doing a full mag dump. Lately, I have heard a lot of complaints about the RamLine mags though. I don't know if they have changed the design or the materials since then.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:38 am 

Thanks for all the info.

I think I'll keep my eye out for a used one and see what happens.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:24 am 

Regarding the 10-22 mags.....My stock Ruger original mag has been flawless (I will buy more of these). I also have a Butler Creek 25 round banana mag with metal feed lips, it has never worked well. Very inconsistant feeder and will not feed at all if you load more than 20 rounds. My 10-22 is a couple year old Stainless model with synthetic stock. I like the rifle fine but am looking to make several upgrades.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:27 pm 

Perhaps newer aftermarket mags are not made as well as they used to be. I got my 10/22 back in the early/mid 80's. I shot thousands and thousands of rounds through it in my youth, mainly using 30 and 50 round Ramline mags. For the most part things worked very well. Sure, I've had my share of misfeeds, but I bet it is down around 1/500 rounds. I did just get another pair of new Ramline 50 round mags at a great deal so we'll see if the new ones are worse than the old ones.

BB

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.