Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:03 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 New effort to allow carrying concealed weapons is compromise 
 Post subject: New effort to allow carrying concealed weapons is compromise
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Background checks are mandatory at all gun shows in WI. IF you buy from a dealer. If you buy from an unlicensed individual, legal ftf no check required, per existing feral law.

Flynn is a recent political police chief from MASS, street cops had him pegged as a 'dress for success' phony Dembuttkisser libtard from day one.

Barret, (dem political stooge) wants to get a headline by making straw purchases illegal? As if the Feral law didn't exist?

Just switch Chicago for 'M'walkee' and you know all you need to know about the politics there. :bang:
Quote:
http://www.piercecountyherald.com/ev...icle/id/21798/

Published October 15 2009
New effort to allow carrying concealed weapons is compromise for more gun control
Wisconsin News

There’s a new effort to let Wisconsinites carry concealed weapons.

But this time, Milwaukee’s police chief and district attorney are floating the idea, as part of a compromise to create tougher gun control laws.

Chief Ed Flynn and District Attorney John Chisholm say they want to require background checks for the buyers of all guns in Wisconsin including those at gun shows.

And if they have to cut a deal by allowing concealed carry, so be it.

Right now, background checks are only required at federally-licensed gun shops and carrying a concealed weapon is a misdemeanor.

Flynn says there should be a tough process for granting concealed-carry permits and those caught without permits should be slapped with felonies.

Wisconsin is one of only two states that do not allow concealed weapons. Gov. Jim Doyle has vetoed previous Republican bills for it.

Doyle has long said he doesn’t want people carrying hidden guns in shopping malls.

Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett has also been a long-time opponent.

But Wednesday, chief of staff Pat Curley said the mayor urged the police chief and DA to keep talking to him about it.

They discussed the idea at a hearing held by Milwaukee’s Public Safety Committee.

Mayor Barrett supports background checks for all gun purchases in the state.

But until now, he’s been pushing a more modest package of reforms which include making it a felony to buy a gun for a criminal who cannot legally do so.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject: Re: New effort to allow carrying concealed weapons is compromise
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

By backing down at all, and asking for compromise, I believe they have admitted defeat. They know a carry law is invevitable, and are trying to, in effect, get something for nothing.

Don't back down, don't give in.

Just my .02

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's already a felony to buy a gun for someone who cannot legally possess one.

But as for the deal, I don't live in Wisconsin, so it's not my say, but ...

If someone were to say that outlawing private sales were a reasonable price to pay for obtaining a shall-issue law, I could understand their reasoning. But I'd really worry about how far the other side could be trusted on the details.

Will the law outlawing private sales contain reasonable exceptions, like gifts to family members?

Will the shall-issue law be truly non-discretionary? Preempt local regulation? Allow for carry in the places that are most needful, like parks, schools, and employee parking lots?

I could easily the gun rights crowd agreeing to the "compromise", and getting:

* instead of a law banning private sales at gun shows, getting a de-facto licensing and registration system like Massachusetts, and,
* instead of a shall-issue law, a discretionary law that allows the state to not actually issue permits, like Hawaii.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:10 pm 

I'd rather not have a carry law than fold on any of those issues. We can't give up any ground.

MADFI Certified Instructor (#60)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Milwaukee is a shithole, plain and simple. It's the city in Wisconsin where you most need a carry permit, and they have a history of letting fucking idiots run their PD.

I'm allowed to call the place a shithole. I grew up there. Never. Fucking. Again. I don't even like visiting.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.