Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:30 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Pennsylvania Wants To Plug "Loophole" 
 Post subject: Re: Pennsylvania Wants To Plug "Loophole"
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:04 am 
The Man

Traveler wrote:
Thank you Dismal.

While I am not exactly exonerated, I have had occasion to cancel my appointment for a hearing check. :roll:

I really hope I didn't come across as doubting that you heard what you said you heard, as I wasn't.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:44 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
I really hope I didn't come across as doubting that you heard what you said you heard, as I wasn't.

Not at all. It is just that the quick reply made me question what I had heard.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:53 am 
The Man

We're cool. Good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

I may well lhave been that instructor as it is quite true....

Cut and pasted from Denny Nau's website:

This new statewide system will change the method of completing the application and the manner the Sheriff issues the newly developed identification type license to carry a firearm.
Once implemented the applicant will have to appear at the Sheriff’s Office where their driver’s license will be electronically scanned to capture needed data. The applicant will also have to be photographed and sign the electronic signature pad to complete the process. The system need be compatible with the Commonwealth’s Information Technology Standard.
By law the new system must be implemented no later than May 2011, however it is expected that all Sheriffs will have the new system in place by the end of 2010. A pilot type program is scheduled to start in one county within the next month or two. If the system works as expected, more sheriffs will start implementing the system shortly.
Once we have a date as to when Centre County will start the new system it will be posted on this site.

I cannot find the cite this moment, but my memory says that the fee also is going up substantially. This will kill the Pennsylvania permit as a go-to-must-have-easy-to-get-cheap option.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:03 pm 

so what will all this mean for those of us with current non-resident pa permits?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

jmw55018 wrote:
so what will all this mean for those of us with current non-resident pa permits?

I can't imagine it would effect you until your permit expires and it's time to renew.

My New Hampshire permit expired and I chose to not renew because the cost went up ten fold. I haven't bothered to get a PA permit because I just haven't needed it because I don't go anywhere.

This impending change has prompted by to get my application in before the change. I imagine the change won't affect me until my PA permit expires.

Then I will finally be forced to choose between FL and UT. I will probably choose FL because I don't need to take a class and the permit is good for 7 years. Although I would still have to give my fingerprints to "the man" which I have so far avoided in my lifetime.

Of course, between then and now, a miracle could happen and we could elect a governor who directs his public safety commissioner to actually follow the law and pursue reciprocity with the many other states who have "substantially similar" laws as ours.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.