Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:24 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Far-Sighted Problem - 
 Post subject: Far-Sighted Problem -
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

- not necessarily a play on words.

In the not so distant past, I arrived back at MSP from a 3 week jaunt overseas. When I got to my car and started to drive I had a dickens of a time seeing clearly. I went to the optometrist for a check-up and told him I felt like I was going blind. After a cursory examination he replied "You are going blind." - ba rump bump bump

Anyhow, I had fast-moving cataracts in both eyes. I have since had surgery on both eyes and I now have 20:20 vision.

Here is my problem - My eyesight, while being perfect from 6 feet out to infinity, needs correction for close-up work. I use reading glasses (0.75 power). However, reading glasses do not cut it when shooting. Now, if my arms were about 7 feet in length things would be dandy. They are not. While the target is crystal clear at any distance, my sight picture is fuzzy.

Does anyone else have a similar problem? If so, how did you correct it?

Post subject: Re: Far-Sighted Problem -
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:38 pm 
The Man

Traveler wrote:
- not necessarily a play on words.

In the not so distant past, I arrived back at MSP from a 3 week jaunt overseas. When I got to my car and started to drive I had a dickens of a time seeing clearly. I went to the optometrist for a check-up and told him I felt like I was going blind. After a cursory examination he replied "You are going blind." - ba rump bump bump

Anyhow, I had fast-moving cataracts in both eyes. I have since had surgery on both eyes and I now have 20:20 vision.

Here is my problem - My eyesight, while being perfect from 6 feet out to infinity, needs correction for close-up work. I use reading glasses (0.75 power). However, reading glasses do not cut it when shooting. Now, if my arms were about 7 feet in length things would be dandy. They are not. While the target is crystal clear at any distance, my sight picture is fuzzy.

Does anyone else have a similar problem? If so, how did you correct it?
My simple solution is that I use my reading glasses when I want to do sighted shooting, and my safety glasses when I want to point shoot. Mostly, I want to point shoot.

There are other, better, more expensive options, so I hear, but I don't know enough about them to comment.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:19 pm 

This last go-around with a prescription change, I finally went with a set of prescription shooting glasses. I have a set of Wiley-X's from framesdirect.com with prescription inserts -- I have a clear, yellow, and a smoked lens set and they've worked well for me so far. Recommendation came from a guy I met in one of DonL's classes -- think I paid just under $200 for the 3 lens set + prescription inserts...

b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:28 pm 

We have both computer and RD(room distance) lenses one of thes might help.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:59 am 
Longtime Regular

Thank you gentlemen. I will look at all of the suggestions.

It is not a debilitating problem, as I still shoot relatively well. :roll: However, it is annoying to have the sights look as if they have fuzz growing on them.

Thank you again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:40 pm 

As we get older that's what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:03 pm 

Have you discussed this with your optometrist? He may have some ideas.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.