Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:56 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 It isn't illegal...do you want them to leave? 
 Post subject: It isn't illegal...do you want them to leave?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:36 am 
Forum Moderator

So, a few weeks ago I am doing a class in Iowa for their new law that takes effect in January. I do a lot of these sessions in the "meeting rooms" of Holiday Inn/Express locations. I always bring a handful of firearms to the class for various demonstrations, and I also carry as I do have an unrestricted Iowa permit. If I am asked by hotel management what the purpose of the meeting is, I typically say it is a firearms safety lecture.

So, we are getting the class set up. I was expecting about 20 people. I am open carrying in the meeting room, but am carrying a blue training gun, not a "real" gun. On my table that I teach from I had laid out about a half dozen handguns.

An employee from the hotel comes to the room and brings some water and coffee, and, I assume, sees the guns.

About 15 minutes later two uniformed police officers enter the room and come up to me and ask about the guns and what I was doing. I believe the hotel manager was also in the room at the back ...by the door.

I explained what was being done and the officers asked questions about the new law...curiosity questions. When that was finished, they asked if I could come to the back of the room when they went to talk to the manager. They told the manager that I was doing nothing illegal, in fact it was quite legal. They asked the manager if he wanted us to leave, and the manager said "no".

About 15 minutes later, class starts and a lady comes in and asks if she could take the class too, as she had just heard about it. I said, "sure". Later, when we are ending the class and checking everyone out with paperwork etc., she tells me that she is the wife of one of the police officers and that he encouraged her to come. Isn't life interesting.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: It isn't illegal...do you want them to leave?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:45 pm 

Thank you for sharing. Glad it was a positive outcome.

Post subject: Re: It isn't illegal...do you want them to leave?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

An almost identical thing happened about 2 years ago down near St. Louis. It was a nice coincidence. It does offset a few really crappy things that have happened...

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.