Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:29 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 [CNN.com] Woman in wheelchair on way to gun practice shoots 
 Post subject: [CNN.com] Woman in wheelchair on way to gun practice shoots
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

From the front page of the site!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/09/wheelc ... index.html

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Margaret Johnson might have looked like an easy target.

But when a mugger tried to grab a chain off her neck Friday, the 56-year-old Johnson, while riding in her wheelchair, pulled out her licensed .357 pistol and shot him, police said.

Johnson said she was in Manhattan's Harlem neighborhood on her way to a shooting range when the man, identified by police as 45-year-old Deron Johnson, came up from behind and went for the chain.

"There's not much to it," she said in a brief interview. "Somebody tried to mug me, and I shot him."

Deron Johnson was taken to Harlem Hospital with a single bullet wound in the elbow, police said. He faces a robbery charge, said Lt. John Grimpel, a police spokesman.

Margaret Johnson, who lives in Harlem, has a permit for the weapon and does not face charges, Grimpel said. She also was taken to the hospital with minor injuries and later released.

1. How did she get a permit in NY?
2. It does not sound like her life was in danger.
3. Glad she shot the scum bag that was picking on physically handicap people.
4. This showed up on CNN. An interns fairwell? Editor was drunk? Or they are trying to be fair and balanced?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Good questions!

The NYPD's carry license web page offers very little help:

http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/nypd/html/dclm/ldinfo.html
Quote:
TYPES OF LICENSES

PREMISES LICENSE: IS A RESTRICTED TYPE OF LICENSE. It is issued for your RESIDENCE or BUSINESS. The Licensee may possess a handgun ONLY on the premises of the address indicated on the front of the license. Licensees may also transport their handguns and ammunition in SEPARATE LOCKED CONTAINERS, DIRECTLY to and from an authorized range, or hunting location. HANDGUNS MUST BE UNLOADED WHEN TRANSPORTING.

CARRY BUSINESS LICENSE: Is valid for the business name, address, and handguns listed on the front of the license. It is not transferable to any other person, business, occupation, or address, without the written approval of the commanding officer, license division.

LIMITED CARRY BUSINESS LICENSE: IS A RESTRICTED TYPE OF LICENSE. The licensee may only carry handguns indicated on the license in accordance with the specific limitations listed thereon. At all other times the handgun may be possessed only within the confines of the business address listed on the front of the license.

SPECIAL CARRY LICENSE: Is valid for the business name, address and handguns listed on the front of this license, only while the licensee has in his possession a valid basic county license issued according to the provisions of article 400 of the N.Y.S. Penal law. Upon the revocation, suspension, or cancellation of the basic license, the special license is rendered void and must be immediately returned to the license division.

CARRY GUARD LICENSE: (SECURITY GUARDS, ETC.) Applications for this type of license must be made with the documentation provided by a company's "Gun Custodian." It is issued only for the handgun listed on the license. The handgun may be carried only while the licensee is actively engaged in employment for the company whose name appears on the license, and/or while licensee is in transit directly to or from residence and place of employment. At all other times the handgun must be stored unloaded in a locked container, at either the address on the license, or at the employee's legal residence (within the State of New York).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

I lived in New York state (not city) for a couple of years on assignment with the company I was with. A NY State license was fairly easy to get if you didn't mind spending quite a bit of money and waiting a long time. I knew several people that had them. They were good everywhere except New York City. My understanding is you either had to be somebody or know somebody to get a NYC permit. They are very rare and normally only issued to judges and politicians. If that woman has a permit there is more to the story I'm sure.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:52 pm 
The Man

It's very unlikely she has a carry permit; few law-abiding Harlem residents have either the political connections or the bribe money available. If she has a carry permit, it would be very unlikely, all things considered, that she just happened to be going to the range when the mugger tried to perp on her.

My guess: she has a premises permit (much easier to get, although not easy) routinely carries (how often are the cops going to frisk a nice litle old lady in a wheelchair?) and when she was mugged, she either came up with a good story or -- more likely; most people don't improvise well under stress -- something like this happened:

"I was going home when he tried to rob -- "

"Yes, Ma'am, you were on your way to the range to practice when he tried to rob you."

"No, but -- "

"I'm sure that's what I heard you say, Ma'am, because your premises permit doesn't let you carry, except when you're going to the range. So, because his threats before the attack put you in fear of your life, you unlocked the gun case, unlocked your ammo case, loaded your registered firearm, and when he attacked you, you -- feeling that you were in immediate danger of being killed -- shot him with the gun that you were only taking to the range. Got it."

"Young man, you're not listening to me -- "

"Yes, Ma'am, I am. I understand that, having voluntarily cooperated and given this statement to me, you're now quite properly refusing to talk further until you consult with your attorney, and it would be very inappropriate for an NYPD police officer to attempt to question you further, and, of course, we won't."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Joel would that be great every time! :wink:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:33 pm 
Delicate Flower

Can you tell Joel is a writer? :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

joelr wrote:
My guess: she has a premises permit (much easier to get, although not easy) routinely carries (how often are the cops going to frisk a nice litle old lady in a wheelchair?) and when she was mugged, she either came up with a good story or -- more likely; most people don't improvise well under stress -- something like this happened:

My guess is she just told the truth (or said nothing); in New York, DA is an elected office.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:03 pm 
The Man

See this.

It's pretty clear from the reporting that she has a premises permit, although she carries "often." The police are carefully not thinking about the requirement that she have it unloaded, llocked, etc. on her way "to the range."

With the facts as given and implied (premises rather than carry permit), she could be charged, but it's vanishingly unlikely to happen. She'll probably still be "going to the range" the next time she leaves her house.

I'm not going to defend NYC's idiotic gun laws, but I really do like the way the authorities are carefully not enforcing them in this case.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

Outrageous. New York City needs a Republican mayor, forthwith. And New York State a Republican Governor, too. Maybe THEN they will get good gun laws...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
See this.

It's pretty clear from the reporting that she has a premises permit, although she carries "often." The police are carefully not thinking about the requirement that she have it unloaded, llocked, etc. on her way "to the range."

Here's the relevant "this" from the article:
Quote:
The police said that Ms. Johnson did not have a criminal record and was not facing any charges. The permit she has for her gun allows her to have it in her home and to transport it to a range, which is what she was doing, they said.

Yup, sounds like a premises permit.

I'm glad that the cops had a heart; I'd rather the system explicitly give law-abiding 21-year-old males, for example, the same respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

chunkstyle wrote:
Outrageous. New York City needs a Republican mayor, forthwith.

I've got some news for you. . . .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

joelr wrote:
I'm not going to defend NYC's idiotic gun laws, but I really do like the way the authorities are carefully not enforcing them in this case.

In reality, they have no choice. The DA wants to be re-elected, and what jury would convict? (In fact, I suspect the last thing the gun-controllers want is a precedent of jury nullification of NYC's gun laws.)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.