Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:27 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Trooper shoots motorist in Sherburne Co. 
 Post subject: Trooper shoots motorist in Sherburne Co.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:19 pm 
Delicate Flower

Quote:
(WCCO) Elk River, Minn. A state trooper shot and killed a motorist near Becker, Minn. on Saturday after the trooper was dragged by the suspect's vehicle during a traffic stop, authorities said.

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_077094746.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

It is unfortunate that the trooper needed to shoot the idiot but he had to do what he needed to do.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:59 pm 
Delicate Flower

Some real idiots out there.
I feel sorry for the trooper ............he/she has to live with it. :(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:23 am 

Decent article, I thought. I hope the trooper doesn't get dragged into civil court over this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:05 am 
Longtime Regular

"Motorist"? Was this a guy in a hat taking the family for a Sunday drive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Seems like a lot of cops are getting dragged around. What in their procedures causes this? Are they reaching inside the window for the keys and getting caught when the crook closes the window?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:51 pm 

DeanC wrote:
Seems like a lot of cops are getting dragged around. What in their procedures causes this? Are they reaching inside the window for the keys and getting caught when the crook closes the window?

This is my question as well, although I don't know if means the use-of-force is less justifiable (not that you suggested that is was). Personally, I think it's too big of a safety risk for an officer to attempt to remove the keys by diving into the car, but I understand the strong desire to stop a high-speed chase before it starts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:33 pm 

DeanC wrote:

Every situation is unique. I don't think you can attribute this particular method of assault on an officer to a procedure. Regardless of the unique situation or the procedure the cause of this type of assault is the action of the offending driver, not the officer. In other words the cause of this is bad guys assaulting police officers utilizing deadly force. That said, one could certainly argue against reaching inside a vehicle occupied by a loony tune in an attempt to take control of it in some manner.

Consider also that the bad guy could have, and in past incidents has, physically grabbed the officer and held on as they drove away.

Best wishes to the Trooper involved, he has a lot to deal with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:33 pm 
Delicate Flower

I have in the past communicated in writing and by phone with various LEO depts. regarding incidents like this...........I think it is important that they hear from average joes/janes in support of their actions in cases such as this.

Unfortunately they often only hear the negative remarks. You would be amazed at the responses you get back from them.......mostly they are some what surprised to hear positive/supportive statements.

On tomorrows list.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:01 am 
Longtime Regular

Those who like to have hissy fits every time a cop has to use lethal force never seem to realize that the entire incident could have been prevented in the first place if the "victim :roll: " were to be law abing or at least able to follow a few simple instructions by the arresting officer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:15 am 
Longtime Regular

ttousi wrote:
I have in the past communicated in writing and by phone with various LEO depts. regarding incidents like this...........I think it is important that they hear from average joes/janes in support of their actions in cases such as this.

Unfortunately they often only hear the negative remarks. You would be amazed at the responses you get back from them.......mostly they are some what surprised to hear positive/supportive statements.

On tomorrows list.

Absolutely. I sent my email to the Sherburne Co. Sheriff. Hopefully it will get to the trooper.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:18 am 
Delicate Flower

Spoke with Lt. Pederson(article spelling incorrect) of the St. Cloud MSP office this morning.

Expressed my thoughts and support for Trooper Thelen in attempting to do a difficult job. There was silence for a few seconds and I actually asked if I had taken him by surprise..........he said yes. Evidentally the have received some not too kind phone calls and e-mails.

Followed up with a quick e-mail (which is not as polished as it could be) that hopefully reinforces what our conversation entailed.

Quote:
Lt Bruce Pederson
MN. State Patrol
St. Cloud MN.

Lieutenant,

Thank you for the time you spent speaking with me on the phone Friday March 23rd 07.

I would like to put in writing for you some of the comments that I made regarding Trooper Thelen and the recent incident in Sherburne County.

I feel that Law Enforcement Officers in general have a very difficult job which is made worse in many cases by less than law abiding individuals. Without knowing all the specifics in the recent tragic incident my assumption is that the suspect was attempting to flee from the officer which resulted in the officers life being put in jeopardy.

This being the case, Trooper Thelen really had no alternative but to use deadly force to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself. This could have been avoided has the suspect not attempted to flee. Instead, Trooper Thelen is placed in a no win situation.

I feel that is important to express my thoughts because unfortunately, Law Enforcement very seldom receives support from the general public in cases like this. In this case Trooper Thelen is a victim and will have to live with this the rest of his life. Please give my best to the trooper.

Please share my thoughts as you see fit, and Thank You again for your time.

Sincerely,
Tom XXXXX etc

Lt Bruce Pederson can be reached @ 320-255-2916 or Bruce.Pederson@state.mn.us (make sure you cap the "B" and "P")

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:28 pm 

http://www.startribune.com/467/story/1083132.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Kare11 showed the dash cam footage............wow the guy took off in a hurry!! with the trooper hanging on for dear life......very justified shooting in my humble opinion!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Not to mention a .28 BAC (post mortem). Hanging onto the trooper through the window at speeds around 55-60 mph?? I think I would have shot him, too, under those circumstances.

The video can be viewed here:
Video & Story

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.