Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How to shoot a lock off. 
 Post subject: How to shoot a lock off.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

I found this floating about the web. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot5.htm Thought I would share it.

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

As a follow up, look around this site. Some of this is downright spooky and made me really think about muzzle control while in the house. Safety rounds anyone?

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:59 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Very nice piece.

That type of lock looks to be a rugged lock. I'm not surprised by his results. What would have happened if he used the cheapest combination lock he could find?

Actually, he probably should have shot higher on the lock (on the rounds that penetrated). The locking 'pin' is higher up on the lock.

Of course he didn't speak about the successful ways to take off a padlock... That would have been more fun.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:13 pm 

Always remember that more often than not, the lock is secured to something that is not as strong as the lock itself.

For example, a metal padlock secured to a metal hasp on a wooden door.

Going through an obstacle sometimes may seem like the best course of action, but you can often go around much more easily.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

And picking those locks is child's play.

....I've heard. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

I remember that advertising from a while back- shooting one of those locks to show how tough the lock was. IIRC, whatever they shot the lock with put a hole right thru the middle, but the shackle held. Had to have been some type of rifle, but I don't remember if they ever said in the add what caliber, distance, etc. was used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

I remember those ads. It was a rifle, but nothing was said about distance, caliber, etc. It would have been totally confusing to most people who have only a vague idea about which end of the gun is the dangerous end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

It's too bad the .44 Mag round wasn't a FMJ. I'd guess that HP round is just going to flatten not much differently than a lead round. Of course *I* would have liked to have seen something like a 180gr 10mm FMJ round used as well.

Lock shooting trivia: The original Master lock commercial where the guy shoots a lock was done by Minnesota's own Campbell Mithun advertising.

Lock Urban Legends:
I seem to remember hearing that at one point breeching the U-shaped bike locks (whose popular brand name escapes me at the moment) was being done by dumping an entire automotive refill can of freon on the lock and hitting it with a sledgehammer. The idea being that the sudden exposure to freon will freeze the metal and make it brittle enough that it could be broken with a sledgehammer.

Somebody needs to get "Mythbusters" on that one. Freon I'm dubious about (you can't buy it anymore, anyway), but liquid nitrogen seems plausable. Are there any other commonly available liquids or gasses capable of freezing something that cold? Maybe letting out a ton of helium at once or racing nitrous?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

I heard the same thing about the Kryptonite locks. There are probably web sites devoted to defeating these locks. Just by doing a quick google search, I found several sites which explain how to open the master combination dial locks with a bit of practice and a suprisingly small amount of trial and error.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:00 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Padlock shims work in seconds every time....

Compressed air, if you flip it upsidedown and spray, you get the freezing (CO2?). I don't know if this is cold enough to freeze metal.

In Junior High, shop class, we made little tack hammers. But, the design allowed the hammer to get up under a padlock. You just push down and it would pry the lock open with very little force. We were warned not to do this, and of course some knuckle head did it. So, our class had to redesign the hammer so it would not be able to accomplish this. I still have my hammer. Even if I didn't, I remember how it was made.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

Most locks under hundreds of dollars are not hard to defeat.

I have a friend who plays with locks for fun. He showed me how to make lock picks and how to use them. He rediscovered the lost combo for a Master lock I had. He opened my old (Kwikset and Schlage) doorknob and deadbolt locks, and taught me to do so as well.

But neither of us could defeat the Kwikset Titan deadbolt. More pins, more variation in height.

Kryptonite locks, it was widely shown last year, could be picked with a Bic pen. Kryptonite offered free rekeying of EVERY cylinder lock they have ever sold, at their own expense, including shipping.

Freezing locks does work (I don't remember the freezing agent either, but the U of M got hit hard when I was there in the late 80s).

Locks are deterrents. The goal is to be at least a bit harder of a target than your neighbor. Crime is not often thwarted, but it is often displaced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

A common phrase I recall from the past is , "A lock only keeps an honest person honest" No matter what, IF someone wants your stuff, they'll figure a way to get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Kryptonite locks, it was widely shown last year, could be picked with a Bic pen. Kryptonite offered free rekeying of EVERY cylinder lock they have ever sold, at their own expense, including shipping.

ALL of them? I thought it was a fairly specific and recent line of locks. I still have my 1989-vintage model, I should give it a try.

Quote:
Freezing locks does work (I don't remember the freezing agent either, but the U of M got hit hard when I was there in the late 80s).

I was there at the same time (85-90), must have been when I heard the same story.

I wonder what all this says about the relative safety of our gun safes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:34 pm 

My dad says "locks only keep out honest people"
last monday I cut a padlock,with permission,with a cutoff wheel on my 4.5 " angle grinder. It took about 5 seconds.
I see DeWalt now make an 18 volt cordless version of this same tool[insert Tim Allen envious grunting noise here]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:33 am 
Forum Moderator

dcwn.45 wrote:
My dad says "locks only keep out honest people"
last monday I cut a padlock,with permission,with a cutoff wheel on my 4.5 " angle grinder. It took about 5 seconds.
I see DeWalt now make an 18 volt cordless version of this same tool[insert Tim Allen envious grunting noise here]

DeWalt 18V cordless angle grinder: $300
Cutoff wheel for angle grinder: $50
Time spent cutting off parking lot boot: 15 minutes

Expression on parking lot guys face when he finds boot cut off: priceless.

For everything else, there's MasterCard.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.