Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:53 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Robbinsdale Home Invasion 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Note to self: Leave cell phone at friend's house prior to committing a crime in order to better establish an alibi.

Quote:
......obtained one man's cell phone records. The records show his phone was in the area of the home invasion shortly after the slaying, but no calls were made during the time of the forced entry and robbery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Not sure why my GPS enabled cell phone records would ever come into play but man does that level of tracking availability scare me. Especially with the administrative warrant recently used for a REPORTER'S call log from his Cell phone provider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:19 am 
Longtime Regular

So, the guy comes home and somewhere in the course of setteling in he discovers the two perps. He goes for his rifle and is killed in the process. I can't help but wonder if the outcome would have been different if, instead of having to travel and to the rifle, load it or whatever, he had only but to draw from the hip ... would the outcome have been different?

One thing is for sure - a loaded gun on your hip is faster than the unloaded gun in the closet 40 feet away. The perp killed the man with a .22 but I wonder how the perp would have fared with a few .45's in his chest.

Regarding the perps - today on WCCO:

http://wcco.com/crime/robbinsdale.home. ... 36661.html

Exerp:

According to the warrant application, a tipster told Hennepin County Sheriff's deputies about overhearing two men "brag" about "robbing houses." One man was also overheard "bragging about committing physical violence towards any victims" that he would encounter during these crimes.

Detectives found that one suspect was arrested twice for robbing people, twice for weapons possession, and once for robbing a business.

They believe one suspect is a member of the "Emerson Murder Boys Gang," according to the application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think you might be reading the news story wrong. It sounds as if he tried to grab a rifle away from the rifle-toting criminal.

That said, I agree that a gun on the hip might have helped the victim.

lance22 wrote:
So, the guy comes home and somewhere in the course of setteling in he discovers the two perps. He goes for his rifle and is killed in the process. I can't help but wonder if the outcome would have been different if, instead of having to travel and to the rifle, load it or whatever, he had only but to draw from the hip ... would the outcome have been different?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

lance22 wrote:

One thing is for sure - a loaded gun on your hip is faster than the unloaded gun in the closet 40 feet away. The perp killed the man with a .22 but I wonder how the perp would have fared with a few .45's in his chest.

Regarding the perps - today on WCCO:

http://wcco.com/crime/robbinsdale.home. ... 36661.html

Exerp:

According to the warrant application, a tipster told Hennepin County Sheriff's deputies about overhearing two men "brag" about "robbing houses." One man was also overheard "bragging about committing physical violence towards any victims" that he would encounter during these crimes.

Detectives found that one suspect was arrested twice for robbing people, twice for weapons possession, and once for robbing a business.

They believe one suspect is a member of the "Emerson Murder Boys Gang," according to the application.

My understanding of what transpired was the homeowner; his wife and two friends arrived home from being out on New Years Eve. There was a knock on their unlocked front door and it sounded like they simply opened it without knowing who was on the other side. One of the BG’s was knocking the homeowner’s wife around and the owner tried to defend her apparently by grabbing the BG’s rifle. That’s when he was shot. When BG's left they finally locked the front door. A little late by then.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:09 pm 

plblark wrote:
Not sure why my GPS enabled cell phone records would ever come into play but man does that level of tracking availability scare me. Especially with the administrative warrant recently used for a REPORTER'S call log from his Cell phone provider.

Most of them you can turn the GPS off in the menu if you want. Mine is off unless I call 911 then it turns itself back on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Burnsville Guy wrote:
plblark wrote:

Most of them you can turn the GPS off in the menu if you want. Mine is off unless I call 911 then it turns itself back on.

If, however, it's powered on, you can track the general location of the phone by which cell towers it hits.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:54 pm 

princewally wrote:
Burnsville Guy wrote:
plblark wrote:

If, however, it's powered on, you can track the general location of the phone by which cell towers it hits.

If you turn off the GPS and are not making a call you should be ok. Atleast that is what my friend of mine that is a cell tech for Sprint tells me. Some phones however you can not turn the GPS off at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Burnsville Guy wrote:
If you turn off the GPS and are not making a call you should be ok. Atleast that is what my friend of mine that is a cell tech for Sprint tells me. Some phones however you can not turn the GPS off at all.

I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Even when you're not making a call, your phone registers itself with the network so it'll know what cell you are in. When someone calls you, the network knows what cell you're in and sends out signals on a common channel to your phone that tell it to answer the call on some frequency not currently in use in that cell. And as princewally says, they can still know your general location regardless of whether your phone is GPS equipped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:28 am 
Longtime Regular

Also, courts have rules that it's legal for law enforcement to turn your cel phone (it was the OnStar device) into a listening device that beams your every word back to the FBI whether you're on a call or not.

Do you think such a court would bat an eyelid at having the GPS tell you it's off when in fact it's on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Also, courts have rules that it's legal for law enforcement to turn your cel phone (it was the OnStar device) into a listening device that beams your every word back to the FBI whether you're on a call or not.

Do you think such a court would bat an eyelid at having the GPS tell you it's off when in fact it's on?

I have a solution to the problem! Shut off the phone and yank the battery :D :D :D

But wait... I like to make and receive calls... Dam it anyhow! :x :lol: :wink:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Update: Both of the thugs are in jail.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/3 ... page=1&c=y

Quote:
A 27-year-old Minneapolis man has been arrested in a shocking New Year's Day home invasion and murder in Robbinsdale that stymied investigators for months, and a second man is in custody on another, possibly connected, shooting that night.

More details in this story. They weren't just smacking Mrs. Marks around, they were attempting to rape her, when Jamis Marks decided he'd had enough.

Don't take that to mean he should have sat back and watch her being beaten. I have heard that argument made regarding this incident. He died doing something everyone should be prepared to do: protecting his family.

Quote:
The man attempted to remove her clothing as he continued to threaten her. Hearing his wife under attack, Marks jumped up and attempted to disarm the other suspect, the two other witnesses, said. One suspect then fired multiple times, shooting Marks in the chest. The two men, armed with long guns, then fled, the witnesses said.

Lesson to learn for the thugs in the world: If you use your girlfriend as the getaway driver, don't ever dump her.

Quote:
A woman identified only as J.H. told investigators she was with Watkins the night of Dec. 31 and she drove him and Hemphill to the victim's house. She said it was Watkins' idea to rob the people in the house. The woman said the two men came running out of the house after the robbery and she drove them away. She said she learned of the shooting when she saw the defendant and his friend cleaning blood out of her car.

Requiescat in pace, Mr. Marks.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject: Re: Robbinsdale Home Invasion
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Suspect #2 George Watkins not guilty on all counts: http://kstp.com/news/stories/S1127271.shtml?cat=1

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Suspect #2 George Watkins not guilty on all counts: http://kstp.com/news/stories/S1127271.shtml?cat=1

WTF?!??!!??

His girlfriend was wearing the woman's jewelry, and they still think this guy wasn't involved!?!?!? :bang:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:12 pm 
The Man

mrokern wrote:
DeanC wrote:

WTF?!??!!??

His girlfriend was wearing the woman's jewelry, and they still think this guy wasn't involved!?!?!? :bang:

-Mark

Sounds to me like the prosecutors a: did a lousy job, and b: had a credibility problem for their cops.

Expect to see a lot of that, until there's a cleanup in the badged set. And sometime after.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.