Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Rainier Ballistics Bullets 
 Post subject: Rainier Ballistics Bullets
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:45 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I just got done making some 124 gr. NATO Duplication Loads with the Rainer Bullets.

I have noticed a couple of things - Very inconsistent velocities and pressures - tons of failures to feed (they seem to be really soft.)

Slide often does not pick up the next round - I dont think that they make a good gas seal or create enough pressure in the bbl to operate the gun properly.

These are assumptions.

HOWEVER

I just got done loading a ton of 40 - with Rainer 165's - they seem to work absolutely flawlessly in any gun I choose to shoot them in. Thy seem to be plenty accurate for practice - clean and well for the $$$ a good value.

I will no longer load the 124 9mm's

I miced some up and they vary in dimms by more than 0.003" and the plating is somewhat inconsistent on the batch that I got. Perhaps I will try again.

Has anyone else had these problems?

I have 2000 of the 200 gr 45's to load - we will see how they work.... I am assuming they will shoot similar to the 40's.

________

While we are at it - what are your favorite Clibers to reload?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle,

You may find the lack of pressure is as you guessed a poor gas seal, slug your barrel and mic the bullet to ensure a minimum interference fit. Also a failure to feed can actually be a failure in extraction which could be due to the above problem, or it could simply be your recoil spring is too powerful for your load or the load is too light for the spring, you call it. Another question I would ask is have you chronoed your loads to see what you have for MV this is another good trouble shooting tool!

Just my $0.02

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject: Rainier 45's
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:38 am 

I will buy your 45's if you dont want to load them.... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:26 am 
Forum Moderator

I loaded some for .45 ACP (I can't remember if they were 200gr or 185s).

They shot OK, but I was unimpressed with them in the loading process. The lead is quite soft and the plating is quite thin -- only 4 mils -- so a number of them got mangled in seating. Once I slowed down and took more care in seating them, that problem largely went away, but it makes them slower to load than jacketed.

John @ Gunstop tried to talk me out of buying them, but I had to give them a try. I think I still have a couple of hundred that will see the press this week, but that's all I will ever buy.

I wouldn't touch them in 10mm, Rainier says 1200 fps max velocity to prevent plating seperation, for that I will stick with jacketed.

I'd like to see them use a hard-cast lead or increase the plating thickness to 8 or 16 mils to make them a little sturdier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:46 pm 

I will load the 45's

And see how they go. I am not at all happy with the 9mm's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:58 pm 

I've loaded 10's of thousands of Rainier 230 gr plated RN for my .45 and have rarely, if ever had a problem. I load them on a Dillon 650 and have not noticed them being any "slower" or harder to seat. Are you belling the case mouth enough? They shoot just fine for me in IDPA/USPSA matches.

YMMV

MADFI Certified Instructor (#60)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

mpthole wrote:
I've loaded 10's of thousands of Rainier 230 gr plated RN for my .45 and have rarely, if ever had a problem. I load them on a Dillon 650 and have not noticed them being any "slower" or harder to seat. Are you belling the case mouth enough? They shoot just fine for me in IDPA/USPSA matches.

YMMV

Well my Dillon press was setup at Dillon for 45 ACP lead bullets, so it's hard to believe the case belling setup isn't right.

When I say slower, I just have to take more care when placing the bullets before seating them. Jacketed seem to respond to the seating die and straighten more easily, the plated just seem more inclined to crush, although I see where more belling would make placement and seating smoother.

At this point it doesn't really matter, I'll load what I have left and shoot Remington 185 gr jacketed flat points. I shot some today, nice with 5.7gr of VV N320.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:40 am 

I just have had it with the plated bullets in 9mm - in 40 they seem fine. I miced some of the 9mm's and they vary by as much as 0.003" undersized - I think this is just as i suspected - not sufficient pressure to properly run the gun even with top loads.

Out of a bbl with cut rifling they seem to work fine. BUT the majority e shooting that I do is with a Glock - so therefore - we are back at square one.

I just got my Black Hills Shooters Supply Catalogue - bullets seem reasonable considering shipping is included in pricing.

I also called ATF about applying for my 06 license - I was simply told - don't bother - we will not approve you anyhow - if it is for personal consumption - pay the extra money and avoid our scrutiny and BS.

That was right from the ATF - they also told me that there would be a premisis inspection and an Environmental impact study that would have to be done on my property and insurance requirements that make this a money losing proposition.

I guess that my dreams of the 0 discount is gone - shame....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

After loading 397 Rainier .45 ACP 185gr flat nose bullets, I am again convinced that I will never buy them again.

(1) Three .40/10mm in the batch. Yay, they drop into the case, requiring removing the case from station 3.

(2) After boxing, I had *22* with various seating problems. Torn plating, squished bullets, cockeyed seating, etc. That's way too many, almost a 6% failure rate.

All of this was despite my best effort to place the bullets carefully. I think these bullets have less of a taper to their nose than the seat die, which doesn't help, but the fact that the plating is so thin and the lead so soft you end up with the bullet losing, every time.

I never have these problems with jacketed bullets or even the 2-300 JSPs I've loaded for .44 special. Fortunately Gunstop should have more 185 gr jacketed TCs in on Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:03 am 

I stopped using Rainier a while back. Based on my own and some trusted friend's experiences, they can be just too irregular, with some bullets being very different from others in the same box. I decided that I was willing to pay more to load Winchester FMJs from then on.

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:42 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm about to try my first reloading project ever. I bought 500 qty of 230gr Red River lead bullets. My reloading guru is donating 500 pcs of 45 acp brass to my cause.

The GS was out of 200 gr bullets, but 230 gr white box Win seem to shoot to point of aim anyhow so we'll see how it goes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Rainiers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:54 am 

In the last 3 years I have loaded over 20,000 9mm Rainiers... They have been shot in different Glocks and only had 2 problems, NO PRIMERS, thats do to my loading :( I have reloaded some 185 gr HP (rainier) and shot them in my Colt 1911 5" had a lot of problems! FTF,same with the 200 gr ball. but they do work good in my Kimber and my Glocks. Yes the Rainier is soft, and they were cheap to buy......... NOT NOW! you can spend just a few more dollars and get Remington's. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:43 am 

I am off to GS to buy some winchester 9mm's and other assorted goodies.

I think that I will buy some power pistol this time and try that again.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:40 pm 

I really like Power Pistol. It's what I use for higher pressure cartridges like .40 s&w and when I've loaded 9mm. I enjoy the pronounced muzzle flash at the range. :D For .45acp I prefer titegroup, and I've used Blue Dot in .357 and .44 Magnum loads and like it.

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:12 pm 

Pinnacle wrote:
I am off to GS to buy some winchester 9mm's and other assorted goodies.

I think that I will buy some power pistol this time and try that again.......

Good choice. Lots of flash, but that is no biggie for practice ammo. It burns clean and meters well in my Dillon 550B.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.