Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Newb questions 
 Post subject: Newb questions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Is $251.97 a good price for <a href=http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=506874 target=new>this</a> rig? Is there something less expensive that isn't cheaper?

What more will I need to start reloading (besides dies, shellholders, brass and bullets).

Are all .22s really .224 so if I were to want to reload a (just as an example) 5.7x28mm I would want .22 bullets?

Help me Obi-wan . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:42 am 
Raving Moderate

That's the rig I have, and a not bad price at all. It works well for me; I just need more time to do it more often...

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:17 am 
Longtime Regular

Bruce, if you are going to reload 5.7 x 28 you really must get thee to the the FiveseveNforum.

Just read and re-read the reloading forums before you ask a question. These guys have done a bunch of load development and can recommend the best dies (which in 5.7x28 are not RCBS).

Yes - .224 bullets are what you want. Read up on which ones they have had the best results with.

I haven't started reloading the 5.7 yet, but will someday.

Two things missing from that kit you will want someday - a case trimmer and a powder measure.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:22 am 
Longtime Regular

RCBS make an Ultimate Rock Chucker kit that has the electronic scale/powder dispenser. That alone will keep you from pulling your beard out. Single stage with a beam scale will make you scream.

Get the Lee case trimmers, you can chuck them up in a lathe or drill press. The rcbs trimer has been a pain in the ass for me from day one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:25 am 
Longtime Regular

I guess I'll put it this way, the pad luber is a joke, as is quick powder measurements with the scale, I can't count on the powder dropper being precision enough to trust for loading pistol cartridges, the kit is missing a powder trickler, case trimming tools, it is a joke to try to manufacture any quanity of cartridges over a count of 50 in an hour and a half with this kit.

I know, I have it. I've spent a ton of $$$$ geting the stuff that makes you productive, because face it, if it takes you an hour and a half to stamp out 50 .223, that rock chucker will gather dust in the corner.

Go down to GunStop, trick one of us into going along, or check the classifieds at the other site. Buy the stuff you need not in a kit for the most part, because the RCBS RC Master Supreme kit is mising allot of the things you need, and they're charging you for alot of crap you don't need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Bruce, if you are going to reload 5.7 x 28

Oh, no no no, of course not! This was purely a set of hypothetical questions submitted as an intellectual exercise. I have not, do not now, and of course never will have such an eevil black high capacity vest-busting gun as a FN FiveseveN, nor would I ever attempt to bypass possible ammo microstamping legislation or repressive taxation schemes by loading my own.

NoSireeBob, not me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:55 pm 

Bruce, Bruce, Bruce: YOU, among all other people, are the ONE person that I have doubts about that I could stop with a single clip of 50 GI ammo loaded with Gold Dots. If I had a 5.7, even with the AP ammo which you cannot get, and you were coming at me like a runaway train, I would chose to NOT pull the gun and either try to:
a: run away (Seeing as I'm 80 pounds lighter than you at 260, it's a definite possibility)
b: Seeing if my rabidly bad temper from an abusive childhood could make up for those 80 pounds.
c: Give you a big sloppy kiss on the lips and hope to hell you're homophobic!!!

Seriously, I think you're a nice guy and I have time on my hands, seeing as I'm retired. You want to come out to my place and learn about reloading, I'm available. PM me for my my cell phone number.

P.S. I got some very old Norma 104 grain AP bullets, and with a 38 Super gun with 9x23 Winchester brass, people I know have gotten bullets of this caliber and weight to over 2,000 FPS, and the mag capacity is only two less....

SamNetherly@aol.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:38 am 
Longtime Regular

You need a reloading manual first.

Buy from Jon at Gunstop if you want to save money reloading. Buying a couple of the "wrong" items for what you want to do will wipe out any "savings" you get buy shopping around.

I think he'll have the exact same package you propose, and probably the same price. But everyone loads different stuff and he'll be able to asssemble a better package for you, which will in fact save you money. In 30 days, you'll be money ahead with Jon.

He refuses to sell me stuff I read about if he thinks I don't need it. Aggravating to be treated that way, but he's always been correct and it's saved some money and a lot of time.

I've wasted a lot of money and time with good stuff from Cabela's, which was not "quite right" for my specific application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:45 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Are all .22s really .224

NO.

Some 22 Hornets were .223 some were .224. You can get bullets for each. I think the 221 Fireball was different too but not sure.

Most, not all, 22's are .224.

Post subject: Reloading
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:44 am 

First I'd pick up a reloading Manual, a good one is "The ABC's of Reloading" by Bill Chevalier. They use Lee products in that book but the basics are the same and they cover slot of ground in the book.

Second if your looking at starting reloading but don't want to spend to much look into the Lee products. Here are some single stage press kits, the lee stuff is good except for there powder scale I'd get an electronic on from Frankforn Arsenal, or a RCBS scale.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=423081
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=121744

Turret Press kit, the one I started with. A nice kit, you can take the top plate off so you can swich die sets easy. The tolerances are not super tight and you have to "click" it to the next step sometimes but alot cheaper than other presses and IMO a good place to start for not much cash.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=622290

Lastly I'd sugest this if you just want a manual and a single press. The press goes for 27-28 and I like the load data from the book. But you can never have to many load data books.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=480380

I know those presses are cast aluminum they do make cast iron presses also. If you want to see some Lee and RCBS presses first hand go to the Cabellas in Rogers MN they have some set up so you can check them out they also have alot of reloading stuff there.

I know some people do not like the Lee branb but I do. In my opinion you get a good deal for the cash spent and like i said it's good entry lvl stuff you can always buy a more expensive press and gear after you find what you like beast. Well my .02 hpe it helped.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:35 am 
Longtime Regular

I bought that last item and use that press pretty much exclusively with a universal decapper.

I sort and decap brass while watching TV before I tumble it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Last item
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:31 pm 

hehehe... I do the same with that item but I let my daughter do all the decapping she wants to help alkl the time and she does a good job dosen;t mess up any of the brass either 80)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.