Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:15 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 40 S&W Loads 
 Post subject: 40 S&W Loads
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:38 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I just got done cranking out some nice loads for 40 - qty 5000 / 180 gr Sierra JHP with X.XX grains of Blue Dot (I will not give out load data)

Nice Loads - very accurate and Blue Dot is really Clean burning.

Anyone out there got a favorite caliber to reload? I happen to ove loading 40 - like throwing a basketball into a garbage can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:48 am 
Longtime Regular

I reload .40, too, but not in such huge batches! I just have a single-stage, and 150-200 rounds is plenty for an outing. I used cast 175gr SWC's this time, and AA #7 powder.

For a challenge, I reload 7.62x25. (aka .30 Tokarev.) Short bottle neck, huge variety of bullets and loads available, somewhat obscure, and a blast to shoot out of a CZ-52! What's not to love?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:46 am 
Forum Moderator

I've been loading some .44 Specials into some new Starline nickel brass lately and it's been like using a weight machine at the gym resizing the new cases. I only managed 200 in like an hour and a half on my Dillon SDB to due the heavy sizing and priming effort on those new nickel cases.

Bought a new toolhead and dies for .44 Magnum (too lazy to change settings on the .44 Special setup). Going to start out with some 200gr JHPs from Speer over Unique or Blue Dot.

After that it's time to replenish my 10mm supply. I have 500 Winchester Silvertips I'll load over a max load of Power Pistol. I've run over 2000 180 JFPs over Power Pistol in the past, and Power Pistol is great. I've used Blue Dot, too, but I think the Power Pistol has a little more oomph and requires about 4 grains less powder.

I usually try to load 1000 of any one caliber at a time once I have a load I like. Saves switching around the toolhead all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:50 am 
Longtime Regular

mobocracy wrote:
I've been loading some .44 Specials into some new Starline nickel brass lately and it's been like using a weight machine at the gym resizing the new cases. I only managed 200 in like an hour and a half on my Dillon SDB to due the heavy sizing and priming effort on those new nickel cases.

Bought a new toolhead and dies for .44 Magnum (too lazy to change settings on the .44 Special setup). Going to start out with some 200gr JHPs from Speer over Unique or Blue Dot.

After that it's time to replenish my 10mm supply. I have 500 Winchester Silvertips I'll load over a max load of Power Pistol. I've run over 2000 180 JFPs over Power Pistol in the past, and Power Pistol is great. I've used Blue Dot, too, but I think the Power Pistol has a little more oomph and requires about 4 grains less powder.

I usually try to load 1000 of any one caliber at a time once I have a load I like. Saves switching around the toolhead all the time.

Mobo,

The nickle plating on the case is harder that brass so it can create more resistance in the die (especially if the dies are dirty), but the usual problem is a slightly oversize chamber and (1 thou over even though it is within spec will cause the problem) (you can cast your chambers with cerrosafe and check to see if this is the source) , or very close tolerance dies. Or, you can get around this most easily by using Dillon's or Midway's spray case lube, that is unless you need the workout.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:13 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I recommend the Hornady one shot - it dries and leaves a film - does not attract dirt or other crap to ruin your day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:47 am 
Forum Moderator

Past new nickel brass I've used has been stiff when initially resizing and priming. It's never noticable by the 2nd reload; the initial sizing and firing seems to either soften or weaken the "shell" that seems to be created by the nickel plating process.

I almost never load yellow brass; I think the 200 peices of .44 special yello brass I bought has seen more loading than any other yellow stuff. EVerything else I've loaded has been nickel (45 auto and 10mm).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

G&A article on reloading the 40 S&W: http://www.gunsandammomag.com/reloads/40_smith_wesson/

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.