Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:58 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Looking to get into reloading 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:35 am 

Reloading will *not* save money.

I compare it to homebrewing beer.

You'll end up spending the same amount of money but shooting/drinking either more or a better quality product, maybe both.

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:27 am 
Forum Moderator

JonnyB wrote:
Reloading will *not* save money.

I compare it to homebrewing beer.

You'll end up spending the same amount of money but shooting/drinking either more or a better quality product, maybe both.

jb

Reloaded .45 ACP 230gr FMJ at current market prices is $6 a box. Blazers are $10 a box. How is that not saving $4?

Yes, you won't save money if you shoot 5 boxes of reloads and you normally only shoot 2 boxes of factory. But that's an apples/oranges comparison.

I think what you mean is that you'll end up shooting more because it is cheaper, and in the long run you'll pay more. I can't disagree with this logic, although I've found that reloading doesn't unfortunately create more range time, which is really what's necessary to shoot more..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:32 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

The whole deal here is that - the more you shoot the better you get.....

And if you can shoot mroe for less and acquire some good skills in teh process - you are way ahead of the "game"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:51 pm 

plblark wrote:
So, Goalie's numbers give us $70/1000 = $0.07 per round.
Winchester White Box at Wally world is $12 for 100 9mm target rounds
Assuming $400 in initial investment, the break even point is:

$0.12-$0.07 = $0.05 savings per round. $400.00/$0.05 = 8000 rounds to break even.

Brewman doesn't state caliber but let's asusme 9mm for the sake of comparison. $2.00/50 = $0.04 per round.
$0.12-$0.04 - $0.08 savings per round. $400 / $0.05 - 2500 rounds to break even.

My ammo shoots a lot better and cleaner than WWB. Ask Andrew or Pinnacle, they've shot it.

They key is that you are comparing the bottom-of-the-barrel, cheapest, skunk-crap ammo you can buy to accurate, tailored-to-your gun handloads, and the handloads are going to be cheaper.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:46 pm 

YUP

That is the whole point - I dont like the idea of someone else telling me how the gun should act - I can control that - I can control the whole thing - Basically - reloading places you in control....

Admittedly - this sounds freaky - but control is everything when you really get into it - POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:05 pm 

Pinnacle, I assume from other posts you have written that you are some type of officer? Or at least a public servant of some variety.
If this is so, do you currently carry self-loaded ammo?
I was told in my carry class to NEVER carry self-loaded ammo.
If my suspicions are correct, and you are an officer, What is your opinion of carrying self loaded?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:18 pm 

I am not an officer - I however used to be a public servant of sorts in another life....

I shoot a lot and work for a company that mainly deals with Police and Military - basically it works like this - I travel all over the place shooting demonstrations. Kind of fun when you get right down to it sometimes.

I have shot all over the place.

IMHO - I don't carry handloads but don't see any evidence that it would be a bad thing I think that we covered this somewhere else on this board.- I practice with loads that VERY closely approximate the loads that I shoot for carry -

There is one load that I cannot figure out for the life of me though - then I just call Winchester and order a case of it direct and shoot the hell out of it.

I was told the same thing a long time ago when I started to carry a handgun in 1992 - but I cannot find out the rationale why.... Pre programming I suppose.

I do alot of shooting and basically my life revolves around guns - both work and socially - ask Rothman or Goalie about my "Crew"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

Tito Jackson wrote:
Pinnacle, I assume from other posts you have written that you are some type of officer? Or at least a public servant of some variety.
If this is so, do you currently carry self-loaded ammo?
If my suspicions are correct, and you are an officer, What is your opinion of carrying self loaded?

Never carrying handloaded ammo is a good warning for people without reloading experience, but there's really no reason not to if you know what you're doing when reloading. From what I've read, there's never been a documented case where reloaded ammo was "blamed" in a self-defense shooting.

The risk from carrying handloads is poorly loaded ammo that doesn't go bang when it should. This can be avoided by using only quality components, including new cases, following known loads from reputable loading manuals and doing a lot of reliability testing with the gun you plan to carry the ammo in -- in other words, load and shoot a lot more than 20 rounds for carry.

In fact, with the availability of well-known bullets like Winchester Silvertips and Remington Golden Saber as reloading components, ammo can be handloaded to virtually replicate the performance of more expensive personal defense loads at a fraction of the cost, enabling you to practice extensively with the load you actually carry.

The notion that handloads will be labeled "mankiller" by some prosecutors just doesn't stand up to reason. If I shoot somebody with a handloaded .380 round, why is that more of a "mankiller" than if I had shot him with a factory-made .44 Magnum round?

But again, you should only do this if YOU loaded the ammo (or the person who loaded it for you signs a blood oath to support your wife and children) and if you have reasonable experience loading ammo. Don't run out and buy a Lee Classic and carry your first 20 rounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:35 pm 

WELL SAID....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:56 pm 

Tito Jackson wrote:

I sure as heck do. You were either legally justified in using deadly force, or you were not.

I have yet to see a case presented for public consumption that documents reloads being a factor in a CRIMINAL case. Civil is different, and, in MN, there are some reasons to not be as concerned as in most other states.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:54 am 
Forum Moderator

goalie wrote:
Tito Jackson wrote:

I sure as heck do. You were either legally justified in using deadly force, or you were not.

I have yet to see a case presented for public consumption that documents reloads being a factor in a CRIMINAL case. Civil is different, and, in MN, there are some reasons to not be as concerned as in most other states.

What civil cases have you heard of? I wouldn't be surprised if a plaintiff tried to make an issue of it, but it seems like such a trivial thing to dispute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:39 am 
Longtime Regular

goalie wrote:

My ammo shoots a lot better and cleaner than WWB. Ask Andrew or Pinnacle, they've shot it.

They key is that you are comparing the bottom-of-the-barrel, cheapest, skunk-crap ammo you can buy to accurate, tailored-to-your gun handloads, and the handloads are going to be cheaper.

Aha! There is the key. That's what you're ghetting for your time invested. Quality.

That's the element I was just plain missing. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:20 am 
Longtime Regular

mobocracy wrote:
If I shoot somebody with a handloaded .380 round, why is that more of a "mankiller" than if I had shot him with a factory-made .44 Magnum round?

Exactly - if you are doing your job right he's not going to be any more dead with a handload versus a factory load.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, if Mr. Dean had used factory ammo my client would only be dead in the 4th degree instead of dead in the 10th degree."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: What do you pay?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:00 am 

What do you pay for your supply's?????

I pay....

Rainier, 9mm 115gr HP's 1000,$50.99/+ship @Midway
Remington, 9mm 115gr JHP's 2000, $99.45/with ship @ B.H.S.S.

Rainier, 45ACP 200gr HP's 1000,$68.99/+ship @ Midway
Remington, 45ACP 185gr JHP's 2000, $201.40/with Ship @ B.H.S.S.

Titegroup powder 4 lbs, $53.00 @ Sportsmens Warehouse

Primers........ Federal, you just need to look... about $16.00 - $19.00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:37 am 
Longtime Regular

Powder I pay maybe $18 per pound, or whatever J&S is charging these days. I think a thousand primers, Winchester are about the same, $18 or so per thousand.

I cast my own bullets, so it's hard to put a cost on them. I have not had to purchase any lead so far, so my only cost there is the energy to melt it, and the expense of the melter and molds.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.