Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:37 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 45 acp powder choice 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:37 pm 
"Deceptive Edge" Weasel

Indoor ranges with the exception of Dakotah do not seem to have the ventilation system working well. BVP being the worst in my use of the range.

There are cleaner powders out there. I have used all kinds. I used a whole lot of 231, but then it really started leaving way too much unburnt powder. It got under the ejecter star of the revolvers, and this bunged them up. Universal Clays was a bit better, and then I went thru 32# of Titegroup. Now, I am using VVN320 and that sure does seem to be one clean and soft recoiling powder, the problem is that it is spendy!

DeanC wrote:
I guess it wasn't the clean-up after so much that was bothering me, it was the cloud of smoke near me that was obscuring the target after a few rounds.

Outside I had no problems, a little breeze took care of it, but indoors it was a drag.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:58 am 

I don't have experience with a vast array of powders, but based on advice from friends and perusal of loading manuals, so far 3 have met my various needs nicely. For lower pressure practice and IDPA rounds I use Hodgdon Titegroup in .40, and .45, and for full pressure rounds I love Power Pistol in .40, .45, and 9mm. For full house .357 and 44 magnum loads I've been happy with Blue Dot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:27 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Jeff Bergquist wrote:
I don't have experience with a vast array of powders, but based on advice from friends and perusal of loading manuals, so far 3 have met my various needs nicely. For lower pressure practice and IDPA rounds I use Hodgdon Titegroup in .40, and .45, and for full pressure rounds I love Power Pistol in .40, .45, and 9mm. For full house .357 and 44 magnum loads I've been happy with Blue Dot.

EXCELLENT Choices (not that you need my approval) - I also love blue dot and Power Pistol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:37 am 
Forum Moderator

One more me too for Power Pistol (10mm) and Blue Dot (.41 Mag, .44 Mag). I think Blue Dot does well in large-volume cases; I've always been tempted to try AA#7 and #9, but haven't gotten around to it. I just loaded some 180gr XTPs in .44 Mag last night with 17.1gr Blue Dot -- I expect those to be quite interesting.

I switched to VVN320 for .45 ACP to limit the residue Unique was leaving, but it seemed to be only a marginal improvement. I can shoot 50 rounds through my .45 ACP 1911 and 150 rounds through my 10mm 1911 and the 10mm gun is far cleaner. I just think the low pressure .45 ACP round doesn't burn hot enough to vaporize the powder.

Anyone used IMR Trail Boss through a Dillon powder measure or at all for .45 Colt ("Long Colt")? I just picked up a S&W 25-3 and Trail Boss sounds ideal for the huge .45 Colt cases (which I guess it was kind of developed for).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:40 am 
Longtime Regular

mobocracy wrote:
Anyone used IMR Trail Boss...for .45 Colt

Waiting to hear on this too. I sense a single action .45 Colt in my future.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:54 am 
"Deceptive Edge" Weasel

The bad part of of TG is that is burns hot, but it is thrifty powder to use. Low charge wts. and inexpensive compared to other powders. Think the last 8# jug was a bit under a C note.

Bullseye and Unique are way too dirty. W231 and HP38 are good work horse powders for medium intensity cartridges. I like Power Pistol for high end 45ACP rounds.

Always liked W296 and H110 for 44Mag loads, but they were to fine grained for Dillon PM. I went to IMR 4227 had had good success.

There is nothing like a 357 125gr JHP lit off by a dose of W296! Sierra 180gr 44cal in 44Mag with some W296!

I shoot a lot of hard cast bullets in revolvers, and the W231 (HP38) were just leaving too much unburnt powder. Universal Clays is supposed to be a bit cleaner burning.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:31 pm 

The only reason to use Trail Boss is to keep from double charging when useing extremely light charges such as those used in CAS.
If useing a progressive press a powder check die is more cost effective.
Way dirtier then even Bullseye
Inconsistance muzzle velocity
Expensive the bottle only contains IIRC 9ozs.
More economicaly priced if bought in bulk.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.