Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 45 acp powder choice 
 Post subject: 45 acp powder choice
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

So - I completed loading my first 500+ rounds of 45 acp. At the suggestion of my re-loading mentor I used Win 231 powder.

This question is mainly directed at Andy because I remember talking to him on the phone, but can't remember which powders he recommended. But would appreciate other suggestions. I think I still have 2/3 of a lb, but will probably reload again since it was kind of enjoyable.

He did seem to think that there were other choices that leave less residue than Win 231.

Which powder do you like for reloading 45acp?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:31 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

UNIQUE and BLUE DOT would also work well and I am learning to love POWER PISTOL all alliant powders.

Power Pistol happens to burn really cleanly at least in 9mm. You get a lot of bang for the buck out of it too.

I have been using a lot of unique as I have about 20# of that stuff around here to burn up. Unique is a great powder as well. Bullseye and 231 are about the same thing - fast and dirty - unique packs all of the punch but a little slower and a lot cleaner - blue dot is a slow powder but it burns well and is IDEAL for small capacity pistol loads and should also work well in 45 ACP.

As far as 40 S&W Goes - BLUE DOT is the king of the hill IMHO

9mm Blue dot works EXTREMELY well - but Power Pistol is a little more economical and a twitch bit cleaner.

Here is a hint Dean - try to make sure that there is no excess oil on the gun that you plan to shoot Bullseye or 231 in - seems to gum up a lot less......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:38 pm 
1911 tainted

Hodgdon's Clays, not Hodgdons's International or Universal Clays, just plain old Clays. Edited to add that this is for a .45 acp, not 9mm or 40 S&W.

Last edited by cobb on Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:39 pm 

Hodgdon makes good stuff as well.

I just prefer Alliant......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

I use Bullseye. Like was already mentioned, it's plenty dirty.
Some day I might venture out and try another variety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:44 pm 

Try a magnum primer and a good heavy crimp...... Seems to help out those fast powders a little.

BUT BEWARE of the pressures - Mag primers are NO JOKE...... Theya re significantly more powerful than a standard primer.

Bullseye is a good base place to start - but I do not like it for progressive reloading - too easy to double a case whereas BD or another similar powder will be OBVIOUS if you double charge a case. Bullseye is an accident waiting to happen IMHO.....

You double a case with Bullseye - go buy another gun..... Simple solution.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:21 pm 

I have both Win-231 and VV N-340 for .45ACP; son #1 and I are going to try the 231 in .40S&W soon. The VV is just a bit hotter, offering another 40-60 fps.

The 231 is a bit sooty but a little powder goes a long way. I figured something like 1400 rounds per pound!

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

JonnyB wrote:
The 231 is a bit sooty but a little powder goes a long way. I figured something like 1400 rounds per pound!

That's what the oracle at the Gun Stop told me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:32 am 

The all knowing Oracle (Walton) knows best -

You can get a pretty good look at a T-Bone steak by putting your head up a bulls ass - but Wouldn't you rather take the butchers word for it?

231 / Bullseye are not optimal for achieving velocity - they expend all of their NRG too fast - more of a punch rather than a push - go to a slower powder to get better velocity.

Power Pistol seems to offer the best compromise in relative burn rate VS. Pressure and Economy -

Same goes for blue dot - it just takes more to get the job done.

Look at the figures for Blue Dot and also watch what you get per the chart for start load pressure... You want the most velocity at the lowest possible pressure. Then check your fired brass and primer for pressure signs - work up carefully and ALWAYS follow the book.

Don't take poetic license with load data - good way to at the very least ruin a gun - and at most - ruin the shooter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:01 am 
Longtime Regular

I suppose I should have stated my goals are (not necessarily in this order)

o Economy
o Ease of clean-up
o A decent practice round (similar to Win White Box or Blazer Brass)

I'm not working up SD or hunting rounds.

I'm loading 230 gr RN cast bullets (http://redriverbullets.com/) into range pick-up brass.

I also had about 50 200 gr SWC's.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:58 am 

Economy - Bullseye
Ease of Cleanup - Power Pistol
Equavalent to WWB - Bullseye/231 More than likely as it is the cheapest option.

So there you have it - by a 2/3 majority - Bullseye/231 wins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:41 am 
Forum Moderator

John Walton at the Gunstop gave me some Vihta Vouri N320 as a cleaner alternative. It's somewhat cleaner, but I don't know that low pressure rounds like .45 have a super hot/clean burning powder alternative.

I've just learned to live with it mostly, or shoot my 10mm guns which seem to burn everything -- including Unique -- a lot cleaner, although I use Power Pistol for 10mm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:53 pm 

Back when some friends of mine and I were shooting our 45's on a weekly basis I set out to find a clean burning pistol power. WW231 works well but is nasty stuff to clean up after, you might as well be burning coal.

I've never liked cleaning up after any Hercules (Alliant) powers either. IMR 700 & 800X powers are clean burning but as flake powers they don't meter well.

The best, or at least my favorite powder for the 45 ACP to date is Hodgdon Universal Clays. I use to load 5.5gr with a 230gr LRN bullet for a mild target load and 6.0gr with a 230 JHP for a full power Bowling Pin Killing load.

YMMV, it would be best to check the loading data as burn rates and max loads may have changed.

Remember start low and work up!

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: 231
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:18 am 

I have loaded 1000's of 9mm and 45acp and shot them all using 231. It works great and I would not worry about cleaning the gun....it has to be cleaned anyway and I do not see my weapon being any worse off then any of the other guys after a 300 rd shoot at the range. I have to think dirty is dirty and cleaning is just part of it. So add one more to the list for 231. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:20 am 
Longtime Regular

I guess it wasn't the clean-up after so much that was bothering me, it was the cloud of smoke near me that was obscuring the target after a few rounds.

Outside I had no problems, a little breeze took care of it, but indoors it was a drag.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.