Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Universal Clays? 
 Post subject: Universal Clays?
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:22 am 

I see Universal Clays (UC) mentioned in different places. However on Hodgons website I only see Universal and Clays as different powders. The load data I have seen I think is referring to Universal, as Clays is much too fast.

Could someone tell me what is up with this? I see a reference to “Clays Series” in Universal description.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:25 pm 
1911 tainted

There is Universal Clays, International Clays, and Clays, all in the same family. So some have shortened it to Universal, International, and Clays, which makes things a little clearer.

I have used both Universal Clays and Clays in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 acp. The Universal works best with the heavier bullets in the 45 acp, with a 200 gr bullet I got a lot of unburned powder. Now I use Clays and over a chronograph it seems that Clays has less felt recoil that Universal Clays at the same fps. I still Use Universal Clays in the 9mm, and also for target loads in 41 and 44 mag., very similar to Unique, but not interchangeable.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:53 am 
Longtime Regular

Cobb,

I found a really nice load I like for my shotgun using the Clays.

To keep the powders to a minimum around the house, I would like to load the 9 and .45 ACP with clays as well.

What kind of issues were you seeing in those calibers?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:52 am 
1911 tainted

My prefered 45 acp load is 4.1 grains of Clays under a 200 grain cast SWC. It averaged about 835 fps out of my Baer, which makes the power factor for IDPA. It has less felt recoil as other powders that I have tried at the same fps and has been very accurate. It seems that I do get more leading in the throat of the barrel than others, but I haven't tried to trace it down to see if it is the cast bullets that I get from a local caster, or the burn rate of the powder. The leading may be a concern for many, but that load does everything I want in a 45 acp for games, so I will clean the lead. To touch on Universal, I had a lot of unburned powder when shooting 200 gr. cast bullets in 45 acp.

In 9mm currently I use Universal and have had no problem with it. I have to be honest and say that I haven't shot but a few thousand rounds of Universal in a 9mm, so I can't really form or give an honest opinion. Clays might be a tad fast in a 9mm, but if you stay with the lighter bullets and aren't asking for magnum performance, it may work fine.

I keep my 9mm and 45 acp handloads at gaming velocity, fast enough to make the minimal power factor. I have 10mm and 38 Super, now those I may press a little, but that is what they are more suited for in my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.