Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 175 gr. silvertips 
 Post subject: 175 gr. silvertips
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

Does anyone have a manual that lists a load for these Winchester bullets for a forty caliber?
I have checked Alliant's website which is the powder that I generally use but they have no listing for 175 grain.
I'm aware there are some folks that don't give out load data,that is why I'm looking for one from a manual.

Post subject: Re: 175 gr. silvertips
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:09 am 
Forum Moderator

MNBud wrote:
Does anyone have a manual that lists a load for these Winchester bullets for a forty caliber?
I have checked Alliant's website which is the powder that I generally use but they have no listing for 175 grain.
I'm aware there are some folks that don't give out load data,that is why I'm looking for one from a manual.

I used the Alliant 180gr JHP loads in 10mm with 175gr Silvertips without any problems. The bearing surfaces, length and shoulder location are visually identical, and the mass is less than a 3% deviation.

I also load plain-jane R-P 180gr JHPs with the same charge in 10mm and don't see any noticable difference in recoil, accuracy or function.

I can't see why that wouldn't work in .40S&W as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:14 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I would hate to tell you to use data for the wrong weight bullet....

But it is normally safe to use loading data for a slightly heavier bullet (slightly) than vice versa.... you should be just fine.... Pressures will not escalate. (use 180 gr data for a 175gr projo should be fine....)

There is no data on 175gr....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:41 am 
Forum Moderator

Pinnacle wrote:

But it is normally safe to use loading data for a slightly heavier bullet (slightly) than vice versa.... you should be just fine.... Pressures will not escalate. (use 180 gr data for a 175gr projo should be fine....)

Oh reloading guru!

When does it start to matter? Is it purely about mass, or does bearing surface and increased/decreased case volume matter as much or more?

I have some 200gr JHPs and some 210gr JHPs that I've used for .44 Magnum loads that look a lot different. The 210s are much more similar to 240gr JHPs in terms of bearing surface, and the crimp grooves are nearly parallel, meaning I'd have basically the same interior case volume once the bullets were seated.

Alliant's load data for 200, 225 and 240 with Blue Dot are 17, 15.2 and 14.4, which led me to the conclusion with my 210s, being more similar in size to the 240s, that bearing surface ought to be a significant factor. If mass alone matter, the 225 load ought to be closer to 15.7gr.

For entry-level charges in .44 Magnum, I had a lot of wiggle room and made it work, but I could never find published load data for the 210s and had to kind of compromise between the loads for the closer dimensions of the 240 and the loads for the mass-similar 200s. I think I ended up with a reasonable "target load" of about 14.0-14.5gr Blue Dot. Stompy enough to remind me it's a .44 Mag, but not so much that I couldn't shoot two boxes for fun.

My last batch were 240s (I couldn't get the 210s), but I like the 200s and 210s better. Seem to have a flatter trajectory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:28 am 

mobocracy wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:

Oh reloading guru!

When does it start to matter? Is it purely about mass, or does bearing surface and increased/decreased case volume matter as much or more?

I have some 200gr JHPs and some 210gr JHPs that I've used for .44 Magnum loads that look a lot different. The 210s are much more similar to 240gr JHPs in terms of bearing surface, and the crimp grooves are nearly parallel, meaning I'd have basically the same interior case volume once the bullets were seated.

Alliant's load data for 200, 225 and 240 with Blue Dot are 17, 15.2 and 14.4, which led me to the conclusion with my 210s, being more similar in size to the 240s, that bearing surface ought to be a significant factor. If mass alone matter, the 225 load ought to be closer to 15.7gr.

For entry-level charges in .44 Magnum, I had a lot of wiggle room and made it work, but I could never find published load data for the 210s and had to kind of compromise between the loads for the closer dimensions of the 240 and the loads for the mass-similar 200s. I think I ended up with a reasonable "target load" of about 14.0-14.5gr Blue Dot. Stompy enough to remind me it's a .44 Mag, but not so much that I couldn't shoot two boxes for fun.

My last batch were 240s (I couldn't get the 210s), but I like the 200s and 210s better. Seem to have a flatter trajectory.

Hey you are right - but we are talking about a 40 bullet - and there isnt a hell of a lot of difference here - IF IN DOUBT CALL WINCHESTER AND ASK ABOUT SPECIFIC LOAD DATA - KEEPING IN MIND THAT THE DATA WILL ONLY BE TAILORED TO WINCHESTER POWDERS - I should have stated for this case as there is not a whole heck of a lot of difference in 5 grains and lighter bullets with the same charge as a heavier bullet can make up the difference.

Would I use 180 gr data for alighter bullet (5 whopping grains) Yeah I would use the starting charge for the heavier bullet.

180gr. JHP in 40 using WAP - Start 5.5 gr to a Max of 6.2 gr
170 gr JHP in 40 Using WAP - Start 6.2 gr to a max of 6.7 gr
(All load dats is from Metallic Cartridge Reloading 3rd Edition, M.L. McPherson)

I should stick to the party line here of check all data and use bullet specific reloading infromation - but in all practicallity - unless you are out of your mind and exceed published loads by a significant margin - you should be fine using data from a bullet that is 5gr heavier than what you intend to load.

As for case volume it does matter in MOST cases. My mentor used to load 357 charges in 38's to be cute (something that I would never do nor recommned) without any problems.

Here is an example using 10mm and 40 as a basis for a comparison:

10mm AUTO 170 gr JHP USING WAP 9.1 gr - yields 34,000psi (MAX)
40 Smith 170gr JHP USING WAP 6.7gr - yields 33,500psi (MAX)

Start loads for 10mm are well above the max for the 40.......

What is 500 psi between friends? Not Much difference - you are geting similar pressure with the same basic bullet using a hell of a lot less powder. 2.4 grains of powder is the difference between a good day and a bad one in a small pistol casing. You may get away with it - but not for long using top end loads.

So the moral of the story here is to use data specifically intended for the case/promer/bullet/powder combination that you are using... It took me a long time to get creative and develop loads on my own.

I still go by the book - hard to go wrong with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:50 am 
Longtime Regular

Thank you both for the replies, Mobocracy I guess I don't have to tell you where I got the itch to load silvertips in nickle cases. I have wanted to load these since we went to Burnsville range.
Pinnacle,I know you don't give out data but I had done a lot of searching and couldn't find any info on these bullets so I thought I would give it a try here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:03 am 

I hope that I was able to help

I will give out data from the book - only from the book....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

MNBud wrote:
Thank you both for the replies, Mobocracy I guess I don't have to tell you where I got the itch to load silvertips in nickle cases. I have wanted to load these since we went to Burnsville range.
Pinnacle,I know you don't give out data but I had done a lot of searching and couldn't find any info on these bullets so I thought I would give it a try here.

They do look cool in nickel cases. Make sure you use Federal or other nickeled primers, too, for the complete silver bullet effect.

Just in time for the werewolf season, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:32 am 

mobocracy wrote:
MNBud wrote:

They do look cool in nickel cases. Make sure you use Federal or other nickeled primers, too, for the complete silver bullet effect.

Just in time for the werewolf season, too.

Too funny............

My favorites to load are the Barnes XLC's in 30-06 with Nickel cases - real "purdy"

I have way too much 30-06 loaded up....Time to shoot some of it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.