Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Class Tonight 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:11 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Trust me - when we emerge from the shop - we WILL NOT be a couple....

count on that one.....

remember to bring over things that you have questions about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
Trust me - when we emerge from the shop - we WILL NOT be a couple....

count on that one.....

remember to bring over things that you have questions about.

The mind boggles at the number of possibly hilarious comments I could post.

For some reason I will take pity on Pinnacle and wish him a good class. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:44 pm 

Awww Come on now - dont chicken out Grey....

You can do it.............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

Geez... You try to be nice to some people and you are called "chicken"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Okay, maybe I've got a case of sour grapes.

I have to admit that I'm attracted to the idea of shooting for less money and the satisfaction of rolling my own would be great. However, I live in an apartment so space is very limited. I also don't have the money for expensive startup equipement.

Anyone have any experience with hand presses? Would a kit like the one in the link below be worth my time and money?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=702138

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:52 pm 

grayskys wrote:
If you do wear a bib for the last part, he tends to drool...

Man was that fun. Good stories, no drooling, and learned a lot of very cool stuff.

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:58 am 

glock+ipod wrote:
grayskys wrote:
If you do wear a bib for the last part, he tends to drool...

Man was that fun. Good stories, no drooling, and learned a lot of very cool stuff.

Thanks.

I am glad that you guys could make it - there are a million more things that we can cover - last night was just a small taste of reloading pistol and going over the tools that you use and understanding what they are for.

Reloading can be as simple as what we went over last night or as elegantly complicated as you care to get. Last night was basic.

Pistol reloading is simple - rifle gets a little more complicated - I wanted to go over that - BUT we simply ran out of time- everyone looked tired - I know I was at 10:30 At some point I want you guys back for the next steps..... Sometime soon.......

Some of the things that we covered were;
Equipment selection and cost
Basic tools required - and their operation
Dies - what type work best (types of crimping)
Pitfalls and problems.
Priming and primer handling
Working in a straight line
Working from a gauge
Die Set Up and adjustment (duplication of the first round.)

That is a lot of stuff for 3 or so hours.....

It takes time to learn to reload - it has taken me about 20 years.... And I still have a lot to learn.

The offer is still open - 3 at a time seems reasonable....

BTW - thanks very much for the Tequilla....... You really didnt have to do that - but it is much appreciated.......

Rothman - I have a few more +P 38's for ya.... Come and get em.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:04 am 

macphisto wrote:

I have to admit that I'm attracted to the idea of shooting for less money and the satisfaction of rolling my own would be great. However, I live in an apartment so space is very limited. I also don't have the money for expensive startup equipement.

Anyone have any experience with hand presses? Would a kit like the one in the link below be worth my time and money?

Step out of your comfort zone and give reloading a chance.

Lets look at it this way - we can set you up with a press mounted to a 2"x12" with a powder measure stand and the rest of the set up that will fit in a small box that can be clamped onto a table or any other sturdy surface for not a whole lot of $$$$

Loading handguns is simple. I think that we may be able to put something together for you - for about

Well see for yourself.... http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=820810

There is nothing wrong with this type of set up to start with. Is it the fastest way to go - nope - but you can make good ammunition with this kit - it has all of the basics - just buy dies and you are good to go with the tools. There are a few little picky things that you will need but nothing major...

for the cost of a few boxes of ammo - you could get started. Keep in mind that Lee stuff may not tbe the BEST - but it is perfectly functional and serviceable equipment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:57 am 

I'd like to be the first in line for next week's (Thursday?) class, if there is one. I was working nights this week, but next week I'm on days. Further ahead, hard to say what my schedule will be, but I am definitely interested, and I finally have a little free time in the evenings.

TK

-Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Thanks Pinnacle, I had a great time. I have been reloading revolver ammo for a number of years and just recently started loading for semi-automatics and was unsure of the procedure for properly setting up a taper crimp die. We went through the whole procedure and I feel great about the information I left with.
It also was great to finally see a Dillon progressive press in operation.
As for the gentleman that is debating getting started reloading,I would not go with the $13.00 hand reloader when for eighty dollars you can get set up properly. I don't shoot enough to say I'm reloading to save money, it is just another very satisfying portion of shooting to be loading a cylinder or loading a magazine of ammo that you have built from components. You would do well to get in on a night with Pinnacle and decide from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:20 am 

MNBud wrote:
Thanks Pinnacle, I had a great time. I have been reloading revolver ammo for a number of years and just recently started loading for semi-automatics and was unsure of the procedure for properly setting up a taper crimp die. We went through the whole procedure and I feel great about the information I left with.
It also was great to finally see a Dillon progressive press in operation.
As for the gentleman that is debating getting started reloading,I would not go with the $13.00 hand reloader when for eighty dollars you can get set up properly. I don't shoot enough to say I'm reloading to save money, it is just another very satisfying portion of shooting to be loading a cylinder or loading a magazine of ammo that you have built from components. You would do well to get in on a night with Pinnacle and decide from there.

Glad that you had a good time - reloading and just shooting the breeze with people of similar interest is always rewarding. The reason that I like to share what little I know about reloading is that it is a great way to spread understanding of our hobby. There is no better way to gain understanding of what is happening within that round. It all goes together.

The part that frustrates me is when I get asked - "Well how much adjustment do you use - what is the proper setting...." I dont know all the time - it is mostly by feel and repetition - hopw does - enough to get teh job done sound?

Take it slow - sneak up on it..... You can hardly go worng....

I think that Rothman and I are going to produce a video of "How To Reload" and post it here sometime.

I would like nothing more than to see more people reload - good for the sport....

Dont try the lighter trick with loaded ammo.... Forgot to mention that...... :roll: Try Dykem or a Sharpie to set that up..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
Dont try the lighter trick with loaded ammo.... Forgot to mention that...... :roll: Try Dykem or a Sharpie to set that up..........

??? :shock: ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:

You have to be a reloading insider to get it...... :D :D :D

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:02 pm 

Selurcspi wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:

You have to be a reloading insider to get it...... :D :D :D

We have to have some secrets..... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

macphisto wrote:

Try this thread on Buying a press to start with.

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2414&start=0

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.