Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Class Tonight 
 Post subject: Class Tonight
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:44 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Well we have our three contestants

Someone1980
glock+ipod
and
MNbud

guys - bring stuff that you have questions about - lets see if we can figure it all out.

See you at about 7pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

It occurred to me that I don't know jack about reloading so I was reading some basic guides last night.

Lots of steps and equipment involved and it seems that unless you shoot expensive calibers, shoot A LOT, and enjoy it as a hobby, it may be more hassle/expense than it's worth.

Did I more or less sum it up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

No.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks for answering my question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

You are welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

macphisto wrote:
It occurred to me that I don't know jack about reloading so I was reading some basic guides last night.

Lots of steps and equipment involved and it seems that unless you shoot expensive calibers, shoot A LOT, and enjoy it as a hobby, it may be more hassle/expense than it's worth.

Only you can place value on your time.

There is no question that reloading can save you money if you shoot regularly.

If you have more time than money, and meticulous, repetitive processes don't make you crazy, then reloading might be a good bet.

If, on the other hand, money is of little concern, and you're busy, impatient or careless, then reloading probably wouldn't be a good choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:17 pm 

macphisto wrote:

Minimal investment gets you started on the road to reloading a lot of calibers. get together with a shooting buddy to cut costs further....

Saving 50% on ammo is certainly worth it - you can shoto the same as you normally do and save money - or shoot twice as much for the same money...

Choice is yours.

There are a lot of other benefits to reloading as well. This is how you get a real understanding of the intimate workings of these little devices we all tote around. It makes you read and understand manuals - pressures - signs and symptoms ...

Not to mention - I like the hobby of creating something so elegantly complicated on so many levels of chemistry and physics in my home. Neat stuff.

But this is coming from a guy who could watch a good carpenter (substitute any skilled trade) all day long do his thing just for the learning experience....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:18 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
macphisto wrote:

Only you can place value on your time.

There is no question that reloading can save you money if you shoot regularly.

If you have more time than money, and meticulous, repetitive processes don't make you crazy, then reloading might be a good bet.

If, on the other hand, money is of little concern, and you're busy, impatient or careless, then reloading probably wouldn't be a good choice.

Or just buy a dillon 650!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Assuming you own the empty cases, shoot inexpensive lead bullets, you can reload 9mm, 38spl, 40, or 45 (and others) for about $3 to $4 per box.

A dillon 550 and the goodies needed to get started will cost you about $450 or so for the initial setup. So you can do the maths to work out your ROI for your first caliber.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:24 pm 

Selurcspi wrote:
Assuming you own the empty cases, shoot inexpensive lead bullets, you can reload 9mm, 38spl, 40, or 45 (and others) for about $3 to $4 per box.

A dillon 550 and the goodies needed to get started will cost you about $450 or so for the initial setup. So you can do the maths to work out your ROI for your first caliber.

All part of tonights discussion.... Hey if you bring over a fifth of Dickel #12 you too can use the Dillon 650 (my direct supervision of the process deteriorates along with the Dickel #12 - the sories get worse. and more colorful,,, you may get a hug with me stating my undying love for you........ Just a note of Caution........) :lol:

Smile.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Selurcspi wrote:

Or we can let plblark get started doing the math again and watch Pinnacle blow a gasket in frustration ;-)

I believe Pinnacle said that you don't saver money reloading, you just end up shooting more for the same money. I'm pretty sure that'd be the case with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
Selurcspi wrote:

All part of tonights discussion.... Hey if you bring over a fifth of Dickel #12 you too can use the Dillon 650 (my direct supervision of the process deteriorates along with the Dickel #12 - the sories get worse. and more colorful,,, you may get a hug with me stating my undying love for you........ Just a note of Caution........) :lol:

Smile.....

If you do wear a bib for the last part, he tends to drool...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:47 pm 

grayskys wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:
Selurcspi wrote:

Smile.....

If you do wear a bib for the last part, he tends to drool...

Yeah :oops: I do....

The math works like Plblark says if you have no self control....(and I will not blow a gasket.)

you can load 100 rounds of really good 9mm for like $8 (this would be JHP's) assuming that you could manage to scrape up 100 pieces of 9mm brass (hell I can walk down DuPont Ave and get many times more than that - while using my reloads at the same time..... :P )

go out and buy 100 rounds of really good Defensive JHP's (sold 20 per box at about $12-14 / box and spend $60-70 retail)

Now assuming that you practice with what you carry - that is a hell of a savings..... remington JHP's are $5.85/box of 100 (bullets only) cases are free - primers are like <$0.02/ea powder is $0.013 (5gr load @ $19/lb) NOW THAT IS AFFORDABLE PRACTICE........

Can you argue with that? ( I am sure that there is someone here that could... and that is fine......) Math don't lie.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:57 pm 

Quote:
you may get a hug with me stating my undying love for you........

Well had I known that, I would have tried harder to switch my schedule around... :lol:

Post subject: you may get a hug with me stating my undying love for you..
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm looking forward to tonight, even though I already reload there is always something new to learn. I have never seen a progressive machine in operation.

"you may get a hug with me stating my undying love for you........ Just a note of Caution........) Laughing"

Now rember it was a very long time ago that I was a submariner and times have changed.
:D :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.