Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:17 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Bragging rights - First ever rifle reloads for me 
 Post subject: Bragging rights - First ever rifle reloads for me
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:17 am 
Longtime Regular

I spent the better part of Friday working up some loads for my son's new .260 Rem with my re-loading guru. I've loaded 45acp before, but never any rifle rounds.

Yesterday I went and shot some of the 115 rounds we put together and managed to luck out and struck upon a combination that yielded this 100 yard, 5-shot group which measured .768" from center to center of the widest two. (That's a 22lr casing in the picture for reference)

125gr Nosler Partition, Hodgdon Varget powder

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:20 am 
Longtime Regular

You changed your sight picture. :wink:

Nice group and nice work. Hope to get a rifle set-up myself here before too long to reload with.

What set-up do you use?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:36 am 
Longtime Regular

farmerj wrote:
What set-up do you use?

I don't own one yet. This was my guru's 4-station CH press. We used a Forrester case trimmer, Redding dies and an RCBS scale.

I'm thinking my first purchase will be an RCBS Rockchucker for rifle loads.

But I'm not in a hurry, my guru doesn't reload all that much and he's got his press set up on a nice piece of lumber that makes it portable and easy to clamp to my workbench. It's sort of like borrowing from the library. I also get the benefit of his company and years of experience.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:52 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

NICE work Dean

260 is a GREAT caliber - I think that I will put together one in a very light weight Mauser rifle...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:07 am 
Longtime Regular

Dean C "125 gr Nosler Partition bullets"

I have have always liked Nosler Partition bullets (I think that many of the new bonded core bullets would be good too but have no field experience with them) and use their performance as the standard to measure terminal ballistics of other bullets to. Some people have expressed concern of the open lead at the base causing leading in the barrel. I haven't expereinced it.

I recovered two bullets, one 100 gr (25-06) that passed through the right rear hip (broke the bone), through the body cavity and found just under the hide in the left front shoulder. Largest whitetail I ever shot. Nice 12 pointer. The recovered weight of the bullet was 87 gr. Opened just like they show in their ads.

The other bullet recovered was a 165 gr (30-06). Again, recovered weight was about 90 %. Again, expanded down to the partition, stopped there. Broke a shoulder bone.

Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:58 am 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
260 is a GREAT caliber - I think that I will put together one in a very light weight Mauser rifle...

That's what this one is. Maybe not "very" light weight. The stock is very trim, but the barrel is pretty heavy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:19 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

DeanC wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:

That's what this one is. Maybe not "very" light weight. The stock is very trim, but the barrel is pretty heavy.

Yup

Now I have to Build one. THANKS DEAN...

I will order the tube this afternoon and have her cranked together by the weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

My tube is a Shilen Select Match.

I don't know the contour, but it might be lightweight target because it is a straight taper (I think).

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.