Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:43 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Reloading Practice Ammunition 
 Post subject: Reloading Practice Ammunition
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:50 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I know that this may belong somewhere else - but this is a thought that I was having that goes along with the other threads present here.

I have been as many know reloading for some time now and here is how I do it.

I pick a load that best approximates factory carry ammunition specifications for overall length (adjusted at the time of loading) and velocity - adjusted at the time we shoot over a chrony - all of my loads are based upon factory ballistics as compared to known data. (Bullet weight is going to match - velocity is going to be as close as I can manage to get it.)

That is how I pick a load - the one that best approximates factory ballistics without getting creative. This is how I ALWAYS shoot ammunition that best approximates the recoil - and function of any given factory ammunition. I cannot think of better practice for a real encounter.. Shoot what you carry. I tend to like to shoot for practice the same profile bullet as my carry ammunition to ensure 100% function.... I am not going to spend the coin to go out and get 100 rounds of Federal Premium ammunition to go to Front Sight - not in the budget.

I offer this - a 155gr .40 S&W Federal Hydra-Shock fired a XXXX fps... Will feel imperceptibly* different than a 155gr. over the counter JHP loaded to the Same Velocity. (* - OK yeah there may be a difference as we don't often know what type of powder that Federal uses - there may be a difference in impulse - but it is so slight that you would be hard pressed to notice - if you do - you are snobbier than I my friend :lol: )

I know that all of the manufacturers state that the use of hand-loads will void a warranty - that is a CYA deal from the legal department and we all know it - but this also serves as a reminder - DONT GET CREATIVE and where a load calls for 6.0gr. of any powder - don't load 8 and say "well that ought to do 'er" then don't be shocked when something goes way wrong - like I have said before - you may get away with it once - twice - or more - but your luck will run out and the gun or the shooter will get ruined.

Does anyone honestly think that any ammunition caused problem would be looked at with a raised eyebrow at the warranty repair center? Certainly it will. Would the gun manufacturer like to blame you instead of them for a problem? Perhaps, but LUCKILY as a whole gun manufacturers are pretty good about repairs and stand by their products. This is a GOOD thing.

So I think IMHO that using carefully reloaded ammunition that approximates factory loaded ammunition (using published data from a powder manufacturer - or even a bullet manufacturer) is more than acceptable.

Here is the kicker and data is listed using specific components - primers - and cases and even bullets of specific manufacture - DONT GET CREATIVE follow the recipe listed using the starting data as not all guns are alike - and not all bbls use the same specifications for throat, leed, or overall chamber dimms.

Start slow - work up and never exceed published data and you and your gun will be just fine. Another thing that we all fail to remember - sometimes even the factory fodder has problems - I had a Squibb with Remington Ammunition (UMC) something felt wrong - I stopped and inspected the firearm and sure enough - there was a pill lodged in the bbl.... Imagine what may have happened if I had just treated this as a type 1 and shoved another one in behind it?

_______

As some of you may know I am a big fan of the Blue Collar Crew - there is a certain logic there - BUT shooting reloaded ammunition is not evil - but there are some people out there that make "Hold My Beer and Watch this" their personal mantra....

A load calls for 23 gr of powder - you say the hell with the powder manufacturer and increase - OR decrease the load (H110/296) and KABOOM bad stuff happens fast.... 44,000 PSI is a HELL of a lot of pressure to try to contain and any more than that is basically taking a risk that you need not take.

This is what the gun manufacturers are afraid of. the hold my beer and watch this mentality. This is a significant problem everywhere we look.

I do not and have not shot factory ammunition for some time now - say 23 years - hummmmm my guns are still fine.... BECAUSE I am careful and diligent - and when in doubt PULL THAT AMMUNITION - don't take a chance. I have done that a few times :(

Question:

How much additional velocity do you think that you are going to gain by overloading the casing?

Is there a real economy to pushing the limits?

_________

Another aside

I only overloaded ONCE - doing some testing on some NIJ4 Materials - I needed to launch a .30 projectile at 2850 fps with a max of 2910fps - here is the kicker - my 30-06 has a 17.5" bbl and that's all folks.

Load called for 58 gr powder - we wound up using oooh 64gr to meet 2910fps... That was my only HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS moment of my hand-loading career.

Lets just say that those casings went into the hall of shame - we are not going to be ever using those again..... Recoils was shall we say ABUSIVE and flash was just INCREDIBLE...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.