Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:57 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Anyone handload for the 7mm-08? 
 Post subject: Anyone handload for the 7mm-08?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:18 pm 
Journeyman Member

What recipies have you had luck with if you do?

You can't hit what you can't see.. Play racquetball 200 + MPH

Life Member of the NRA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:59 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I do not load for the 7mm-08

BUT I have always been interested in this caliber - let me know what your experiences are with it - I am very interested to hear about what you can make it do other than the obvious.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:23 am 

I shoot a 7 08 and reload for it. It is a great cal. that has a lot to offer a hunter or target shooter. I will bring some of my pet loads with me and get them to you. I get online at work :D so I do not have them with me.

Just a short sorry....my son in law did not grow up hunting or shooting. He wanted to go deer hunting so I started him with my model 7 in 7mm08. He really liked the rifle from the start and shot well. It was mild and easy to handle. He had shot my .22's and had a good idea about sight picture, trigger control and all the things you can give someone before they have to pull the trigger and learn for themselves. His first hunt ended 35 minutes into the opening day, 5 deer came up the ridge at him and one doe gave him the side shot I had told him to look for, one shot later (about 90 yards in the woods) he had his first deer. Perfect hit in the boiler room, the deer rolled down hill a bit and was his.I have let him shoot my bull barrel rem 700 in 7mm08 and he was shooting groups from the bench just like a long time shooter. His mom and sisters thought he had gone over to the dark side!!! One more good shooter joins the ranks :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:07 am 
Longtime Regular

Dream rifle = Rem Model 7 in 7mm-08. One day, when I grow up, I think I will shoot a Dall Sheep with one of those, or one in .260.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:24 am 

Here are my best loads.I have stayed with 140 gr and not really tried any lighter bullets as I use a .243 with 100's, 70's and 55 gr bullets for the lighter work. I have had good luck with serria 150 matchkings for shooting paper. I used 43 grs of IMR 4350. These shot well, 1 3/8 inch group at 200 yds. 3/4 inch or less at 100 yds. 140 grain seirra pro hunters also shoot in the 3/4" group at 100 using 44 grs IMR 4064. These bullets also shoot well with 43 grains of 4350. My top load is, hands down, Nosler 140 grain ballistic tips, loaded with 45 grains of 4350. They shoot 3/8 inch groups at 100, and are super deer stoppers.

I have shot other bullets and they are Minute of whitetail :D , I have tried other powders and in my rifles they did not do what these IMR powders do. I guess that is the great thing about reloading, finding that great match between ammo and rifle!!! Good luck with your search and if you find a good load, let us know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:53 am 
On time out

I have had good luck with the following.

Fed cases in all,
rem primers in all

Nosler 120 grain BT's for coyotes and antelopes. 43.5 grains of either Re 15 or Varget. Both are amazingly accurate in the R77 that I shoot and the savage 112 that my daughter has. Both of these loads are below maximum, have long case life and are just about 3050 fps.

With nosler 150 CTballistic tips and partitions, I use 49 grains of Re 19 and get nearly 2900 FPS. This is safe in my guns, with no flattened primers or short case life, but is over what some books say and under some others. AS WITH ALL LOADS, WORK UP CAREFULLY AND DOUBLE CHECK YOUR COMPONENTS.

The single most accurate load I have is with H380 and the 139 grain Hornady spitzer, 43 grains of H380 barely make 2600 Fps, but in both my guns will cut ragged holes at 100 yards. Very mild recoil with this load also makes it a great starter deer load for kids or women. Out of the slightly heavy Savage, recoil is the same as a 100 gr .243.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.