Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:54 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Cost analysis of reloading setup 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:27 pm 
On time out

If you buy a dillon, the dies can be used on a single stage,

I have a old turret top lyman press that is used once in a while for making starter loads etc, but I also have an old Lyman C press, that I now take the range with me. I use the Turret press to size the brass and seat primers with an old lee tool, the head to the range. I can try different powder loads, different seating depths etc with the c press.

However, I might shoot 20 times as many handgun rounds in a year as i do rifle, and When I can empty a gallon jug of brass and turn out a 1000 or more handgun rounds in an afternoon or evening session and still not piss off SWMBO for spending all my time in the reloading room, well that is worth a fortune. Two nights ago, I emptied two 500 count boxes of bullets in the time my wife watched a DVD upstairs. Pay your self $20 bucks an hour for your free time, (mine is worth a lot more than that, but just chosing a number) and all of a sudden, the 100 or so an hour on a single stage press vs the 500 an hour, and your time really pays it self off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

1911fan wrote:
Pay your self $20 bucks an hour for your free time, (mine is worth a lot more than that, but just chosing a number) and all of a sudden, the 100 or so an hour on a single stage press vs the 500 an hour, and your time really pays it self off.

I keep trying to use that logic to get the RF-100 primer tube filler. I usually quit after 500, since I can only pre-load 500 primers -- but you could just keep going forever with an RF-100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:55 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Here is the bottom line from where I sit.

I like to shoot - I like to shoot a lot. I like to shoot ammunition that I make - I like to tailor performance to my liking.

I set up the 650 - load a couple of thousand rounds of ammunition. Is there a cost savings - YES there is on a per round basis for practice ammunition.

I shoot more than the average person. I reload more than the average person. I save a ton of cash annually. Can you reach a shooting point where it costs you more to reload because you simply shoot more - ABSOLUTELY.

It all boils down to how much can you afford to shoot - if you have an annual budget of $500 for ammunition - that is not that much shooting when buying from the store - you reload $500 of ammunition - that is a whole lot more shooting for the same money.

I think that is how this needs to be looked at.

$500 worth of store bought = that is not much shooting.
$500 worth of reloads = a lot more shooting....

We all have a budget that we need to work within. $500 is reasonable for the average shooter per year to spend on casual practice... It is likie anything else - you want to get better - you have to shoot and shoot a lot.

If you want to shoot IDPA every week - that is like 5000 shots per year - that is a lot of $$$$ - reloading could certainly save you a ton of coin - if you shoot anything over a 9mm the savings can be significant. 9mm is one of the borderline calibers on savings.... But there is still a savings there.

but that is my $0.02 worth...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am 
Longtime Regular

The truth be told...

You do not "save" any money by reloading.

The money you would have saved either goes to buying more / better equipment.....

Or more components to shoot more. More bang for your buck. :lol:

So how do you get the most for your money?

Get a C&R ffl or shop the sales at places like Gander, SW, Scheels or Gun stop.

My C&R is making it very difficult to buy local even when I have to pay a hazmat fee for powder/primer. Get a couple here to help fill out one of those, and the local shops have a very hard time to match prices. After all, you are getting it for their price, not retail.

If Pinnacle though he was shooting alot on $500 worth of reloads, he could almost add a 1/3 or more to his shooting to buy under a C&R FFL. On 9 mm bullets, the cost difference is ~$7.25 per thousand. a 4lb tub of Clays has the same difference.

Already at $15.00. Save the tax on $100, another $6.50+ and that is the hazmat charge.

Now, Cabela's want $167 for a 8# tub of Clays. Graf's wants $108 for the same tub. (retail to retail prices here)

Imagine what that $60 difference will get you? I mean a 4lb tub is only $58. at 3.5 gr/ 9mm that's another 8000 rounds to load up :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Now they deliver it to your door. You don't have to waste a day to go to Cabela's to pick it up, save another $20 in gas. Another $40 on lunch :lol: :lol: :lol:

You already saved enough to buy another 2000 bullets. :shock: :shock: :shock:

In the end, what I paid for 5000 rounds of factory last year, I could have bought components for around 10-12000 depending on my shopping. And that would have been on the 9mm luger ammunition

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:06 am 
Longtime Regular

farmerj wrote:
Get your C&R FFL. It will save you about a third of what you have listed in costs.

How much paper work and were does one get it at?
How long does this take to get?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:17 am 
Longtime Regular

See topic 7.62x54R Surplus.

I got mine a couple months ago through the links on this forum. Took less than a month after I sent in the papers. Get the application packet from the BATF (can be ordered on line at BATF). Fill out the packet following the directions (copy to local LEO).

Waiting for reply from Midway for dealer prices for C&R FFLer's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:19 am 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
farmerj wrote:
Get your C&R FFL. It will save you about a third of what you have listed in costs.

How much paper work and were does one get it at?
How long does this take to get?

Took me about 3 weeks to get my original C&R. Not sure how long it took Paul.

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... hlight=ffl

The links are there for how to apply.

www.cruffler.com

Did I mentions that Lipsey's has Sistema 1927 colts for $250? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Printed out the paper work after a quest to find 8.5 x 14. Called the local police and the Chief was very nice about the whole thing. That should be filled out today, and in the mail tomorrow.

Thank you for all the great info!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:32 am 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
Printed out the paper work after a quest to find 8.5 x 14. Called the local police and the Chief was very nice about the whole thing. That should be filled out today, and in the mail tomorrow.

Thank you for all the great info!

Force it to print on the letter 8.5X11. It will just be a little bit narrower. Not a big deal.

They will still take it. :wink:

For the others. The Chief Law Enforcement officer they are referring to, will most likely be your county sheriff. Most police chiefs have no clue what you would be talking about.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Any suggestions for "position" on the form other then "Dark Lord"? Or does that not need to be filled in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
Any suggestions for "position" on the form other then "Dark Lord"? Or does that not need to be filled in?

cruffler

Dog House

broke

Could give them your GPS coordinates.

Leave it blank

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:

Missionary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:46 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

someone1980 wrote:

You thinking of running for governor? I would go with dark Lord just for giggles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:10 am 
Raving Moderate

Old Dude wrote:
someone1980 wrote:

Missionary

ROFL :lol: :lol: :lol:

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:02 am 
Longtime Regular

:)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.