Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Powder position and squib loads 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:40 am 

I've had the same problem with Unique in .38 Special. Powder postion does matter with this combination. The first round of a string would always be lighter. This condition is even worse shooting outside during the winter.

Even though Unique has a medium burning rate, I believe it is a harder powder to get ignited, especially at mild .38 pressures.

I switched to Hodgden TiteGroup for my mild .38 loads, and the squibbing totally disappeared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:05 am 
Longtime Regular

I really appreciate all this input, guys. This is one of the things a forum like this is so good for.

Anyway, I have gone back and increased the crimp moderately on 25 of my already-loaded rounds. (Thanks, Pinnacle and others!) I'm using a visual inspection and another tactile one to ensure that there is some increase in crimp: Running a thumbnail over the crimp.

I haven't been to the range yet, so we will see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:32 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Dave Matheny wrote:
I really appreciate all this input, guys. This is one of the things a forum like this is so good for.

Anyway, I have gone back and increased the crimp moderately on 25 of my already-loaded rounds. (Thanks, Pinnacle and others!) I'm using a visual inspection and another tactile one to ensure that there is some increase in crimp: Running a thumbnail over the crimp.

I haven't been to the range yet, so we will see.

Thanks - BUT before we all pat ourselves on the back in triumph over solving this problem - go to the range and see of this is the problem. I have never had this problem with Unique - it is my go to powder. I love the stuff.

Let me know how this works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:58 am 

According to my log book, I tried 3.6gr of Unique behind a 148gr HBWC in a 38sp in 1986. I didn’t note any problems, but I switched to Bullseye in 1987. I did have a squib problem once when I tried to extend the life of my corn cob with a little metal polish from under the sink. Maybe you ended up with some of that brass I threw away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:00 am 
Longtime Regular

Apparently the added crimp works, as do the increased loads -- 5.0 grains of Unique (maximum load in the RCBS book is 5.1). I re-crimped a box and fired about 50 rounds without incident.

I think I will scale back to 4.7 grains, given the newer, somewhat tighter crimp.

Also, John at Gunstop says he uses 4.4 grains and has never had a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:19 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Dave Matheny wrote:
Apparently the added crimp works, as do the increased loads -- 5.0 grains of Unique (maximum load in the RCBS book is 5.1). I re-crimped a box and fired about 50 rounds without incident.

I think I will scale back to 4.7 grains, given the newer, somewhat tighter crimp.

Also, John at Gunstop says he uses 4.4 grains and has never had a problem.

I am thinking that it is all about start pressures and I am glad that we have solved this problem....

Sometimes it is the little stuff.

Post subject: Powder position is a myth
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:11 pm 

Unless you have some load that is SO marginal due to the primer power, slow powder burning speed, and bullet crimp that you're pushing the absolute outside edge of the envelope. There is absolutely NO freaking way you can get this behavior to occur if you are shooting Bullseye, 231, or PB. Never had it happen to me in 35 years or reloading with the above powders. I HAVE had it happen to me with 40 grains of Lil' Gun and a CCI 350 primer in a S&W 500. Unique is pretty reliable, but with light powder loads it's still far slower burning than Bullseye.

In addition, if powder position ISN'T a myth, how can it EVER be possible to shoot a gun with consistently performing loads if the accuracy of every shot depends on how the powder is sitting in the case?? No way, Jose...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.