Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:13 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Any kits to buy? 
 Post subject: Any kits to buy?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:08 pm 

Hi all, looking to get into reloading, and was wondering if there was a kit to get almost everything I need at one time/in one package. I'm looking to reload .38 sp, .380, 9mm, .40, .45, and 10mm handgun. No rifle/shotgun stuff yet. Thanks!

Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:56 am 

Hey Red, I was able to get a heck of a buy on Ebay on a almost new Dillon 550 and it came with the full set up for 45 acp, 9mm and .38/ .357. It was a great deal, and made it easy to start reloading. I had used a single stage press for years and never could keep up with what I shot just from the .45. Dillon has all that you need to add other Cal. and they have super custormer service. I bought a 2nd 550 on ebay (used) just to keep set up for .45 and I needed to replace some parts and Dillon sent them right out and I had told them I bought the machine on Ebay. They still sent me the parts NO Charge. There are lots of ways to go, but this worked for me. Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:03 pm 

Thanks GunnerBMG, I'll check ebay out, but doesn't ebay/paypal (if they find out/catch it's gun stuff being sold) stop the sale and keeo the money, as it possibly violates their TOS? I've read/heard horror stories like that before...just checking.

Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:56 pm 

I too got my start with an ebay purchase. I got a Dillon Square Deal B set up for .45acp, a CV-500 brass tumbler, Dillon balance scale, inertial bullet puller, primer flip tray, many extra parts and primer tubes, and 1300+ .45acp cases for $400. Everything I needed to start loading except powder, primers, and bullets. Since then I've added a couple hundred bucks in purchases from Gunstop and now can reload .45acp/.45super/.460rowland, .40s&w/10mm, 9mm, .357 magnum/38 special, and .44 magnum/special.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:23 am 

There really arent much for full-service kits available.

It is REALLY daunting at first to figure out what you NEED to get, and what might be just nice to have.

Best advice I have is buy a reloading manual (speer, nosler, ABCs are what I use and all are good.) You should then have a good idea of the equipment you need just to get started, and what you can buy later on.

I started on the Lee classic turret and have now moved to a hornady LNLAP. For big handgun ronds and rifle the turret cannot be beat, either for simplicity or price. Total setup for my turret was I think ~$140 +reloading components. I just use my LNL big runs of 357, 9mm, 45acp cause thats the bulk of what i shoot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:20 am 
Longtime Regular

Red XIII wrote:
Thanks GunnerBMG, I'll check ebay out, but doesn't ebay/paypal (if they find out/catch it's gun stuff being sold) stop the sale and keeo the money, as it possibly violates their TOS? I've read/heard horror stories like that before...just checking.

Red

I think it is just gun parts that E-Bay has a problem with. I have bought a lot of my dies and reloading components from E-Bay and never had any issues. I find you can save a lot of cash this way,just be sure you know your prices.I have seen people pay as much for used Lee reloading dies as they could have gone to Cabelas and bought new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:08 pm 

Will do all, I have a quick-guide type thing from midway, and the Traister Complete Reloading Guide. I plan on doing more reading/checking too. Thanks!

Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have had great success with my Lyman kit. I too was starting from scratch and wanted to go the kit route to get started. I picked up one these,
http://tinyurl.com/ypzdon when Cabelas had a reloading sale.

I really like the turret for doing handgun loads.

I have used it for;
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
.45 ACP
.308 Win
7.62x54R
.303 British
8x57mm Mauser

It is a great way to spend a cold Sunday afternoon indoors.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Gun Stop
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:20 am 

You could run down to Gun Stop and have John set you up. He's the local reloading god and while maybe not the very cheapest way to go vereses ebay, certainly the most reliable and trusted.

If your willing and able to get some help from an expereinced reloader you could also go to Cablelas for the majority of the stuff, but you'll need some asssistance putting it all togther.

If you want to chat off line drop me a PM with a number and I can talk to you about it. I've been reloading for years and would be happy to help you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:25 am 
Journeyman Member

+1 with Kona, I have the same Lyman(older kit) orange press with manual scale. So far I've done about 1000/9mm and 300 44mag with it and I like it. Got some 454casul in the tumbler for my pops now, so I'll have to get a set of dies for that along with my new 40. Altho If I do some IDPA shooting this summer again, I've been thinking of looking for a progressive.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.