Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Gander MT Eden Prairie has no reloading supplies 
 Post subject: Gander MT Eden Prairie has no reloading supplies
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Let me save you a trip. :evil:

I stopped in to kill some time and pick up a few things while my kids were at a birthday party. All I could find on the shelves were plastic cartridge boxes. I asked one of the employees and he wasn't real sure why they didn't have any. He thought maybe it had something to do with E.P. local ordinances.

I just wrote that off to ignorance. But, I was disappointed. I would have gone to Gunstop, but it was Sunday.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:58 am 

Dean,

I was there soon after their grand opening looking for reloading supplies, too. Upon find none, I inquired at the gun counter. The 'head gunsmith' stated that the Eden Prairie Fire Marshal would not allow explosives (primers, powder, etc) on the premises. As a result, Gander Mountain corporate directed that no other reloading supplies be carried in stock.

He was kind enough to point out that their store in Maple Grove carries reloading supplies. Great. Like I want to run all the way across town instead of buying at stores in Minnetonka or Hopkins or ....

They do carry a nice turkey fryer set-up that should smelt wheel weights rather nicely, though.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Since when is smokeless powder an explosive?

Rifle, pistol, and shotgun ammo is full of "explosives" by that reasoning.
Is it forbidden to sell finished ammo in Eden Prairie, too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:25 pm 
On time out

I smell a foul odor.

Some stores were dropping it because they did not sell enough to warrant the shelf space OR they did not have enough experienced help to offer sales advice.

They sell propane and other flammables, and the USPS lists propane cylinders as the same risk as smokeless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:04 am 

Brewman, while I am disappointed with their policy, black powder is classified as an explosive. So I didn't argue with the store employee.

1911, it's easier to ship loaded ammunition than it's components. Must have been significant experience that informed that decision (military?).

You'd think that there would be better uniformity among Fire Marshall's interpretation of regulations/statutes. Or does that imply that local regulations trump higher-level guidance? I'm not sure that I even want to have that conversation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:17 am 
Longtime Regular

Black powder is an explosive. Smokeless powder is not.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:30 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:

You are correct sir, smokeless powder is a propellant.

Gasoline however IS an explosive and we transport that all around the country without significant regulations or, for the most part, incident.

Go figure :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:42 am 
Longtime Regular

Selurcspi wrote:
DeanC wrote:

You are correct sir, smokeless powder is a propellant.

Gasoline however IS an explosive and we transport that all around the country without significant regulations or, for the most part, incident.

Go figure :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Unless of course you live in Oakland. Tanker fire destroyes freeway overpass,

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... PI1CI1.DTL

Quote:
Isaac Rodriguez rushed into the night from the Oakland sewage treatment plant where he works and found a blinding light -- a curtain of fire engulfing the elevated freeway ramps nearby.

A tanker truck carrying 8,600 gallons of gasoline had overturned at 3:41 a.m. and burst into flames on the 50-foot-high ramp connecting westbound Interstate 80 to southbound Interstate 880. Within minutes, the ramp above it -- connecting eastbound I-80 to eastbound I-580 -- collapsed in the 3,000-degree cauldron.

"It was massive," said Rodriguez, a 53-year-old sanitation supervisor at the East Bay Municipal Utility District wastewater treatment plant. "It looked like a big slab of plastic because it was melted."

But it was no big slab of plastic. The overpass was a critical component of one of the Bay Area's busiest highway interchanges, the MacArthur Maze. The network of connector ramps merges the East Bay's three major highways: Interstates 80, 580 and 880.

The severed highway is a three-lane artery that served about 45,000 vehicles each day, and the damaged two-lane highway below it was used by about 35,000 vehicles, said Caltrans Director Will Kempton. Not since the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 has any other incident caused such major damage to a Bay Area freeway.

Rodriguez, who was called by his supervisors and ordered to evacuate the sewage plant, said that before the collapse, he watched the truck's driver stagger away from the burning mass -- a silhouette in the orange glow of flames.

"I saw movement, and there was a man up there. I started talking to the guy. 'Are you the truck driver?' 'Yes.' He said, 'I'm burned. I got out as soon as I could.' ''

The driver escaped just before the overhead ramp collapsed -- the fire had melted its steel undergirders. When the smoke cleared around daybreak Sunday, one ramp was draped like a comforter over the lower connector.

Only the tanker driver, who suffered burns to his face, neck and hands, was injured. No other vehicles were involved in the crash or fire.

The tanker was on its way from a refinery in Benicia to a gas station on Hegenberger Road in Oakland.

The Oakland Fire Department, the first of numerous public agencies to help tackle the blaze and cleanup, arrived with two engines at 3:55 a.m., according to Capt. Cedric Price.

"We didn't know it was a tanker truck that was involved. As soon as that was established, we immediately upgraded to a large-scale incident response team and added two more engines and two trucks," Price said.

Firefighters soon saw that the upper ramp was buckling, Price said, and by 4:02 -- seven minutes after they arrived -- it had collapsed. The firefighters changed their strategy for battling the blaze.

"With no structures or lives in jeopardy, and with 8,000 gallons of flammable fuel involved, you're basically better off letting it burn itself out," said Price.

Firefighters used only water to control the blaze, which took about two hours, Price said. Had there been lives at risk, firefighters would have used firefighting foam, but the chemicals in it then would have polluted the nearby bay.

"That this didn't happen on a weekday morning might have been the only beauty of it," Price said.

California Highway Patrol spokesman Trent Cross said the driver of the tanker, James Mosqueda, 51, of Woodland (Yolo County), was traveling too fast in a 50 mph zone when his truck overturned.

At the accident scene, Mosqueda seemed disoriented.

"It looked at one time like he was walking toward the truck again," said Rodriguez, who urged the man to leave the truck. "I believe he was in shock."

Rodriguez said he regretted not thinking to send a vehicle up to get the injured man while he and a co-worker stood for some 40 minutes watching the freeway burn.

Mosqueda, an employee of Sabek Transportation in South San Francisco for 10 months, managed to get down and hail a taxi to Kaiser Oakland Medical Center. He was later transferred to the burn unit at St. Francis Memorial Hospital in San Francisco, where his father said he was "doing OK" Sunday afternoon after being treated for burns. The family expected Mosqueda to remain hospitalized for a couple of days.

Cross said Mosqueda has a valid driver's license and there is no indication he was under the influence of alcohol or drugs when he crashed.

Engineers estimated that the flames reached close to 3,000 degrees -- hot enough to melt the green steel frame and bolts of the I-580 overpass.

Jennifer Summers, 36, was driving from her costume-design job in San Francisco home to the Oakland hills when she saw black smoke and realized the freeway was on fire. She quickly pulled off and looped around so she could see what was going on.

When she got out of her car, flames were shooting into the sky over multiple layers of freeway, and she could hear loud crackling and explosions.

"There were bright, bright orange flames and they were huge," Summers said. "There were cars driving through the flames. The first cars slowed down like they didn't know what to do and then kept going. I was shocked."

Summers said dozens of vehicles stopped to watch as the flames grew and the freeway collapsed with a horrendous sound in a torrent of fire and rubble.

"There was nothing you could do," she said. "I'm thinking, 'Oh my God, this is going to be a nightmare, with the traffic problems we already have.' "

No sign of the truck remained by daybreak. A Caltrans worker held up his thumb and forefinger an inch apart to describe how big the tanker was by then.

John Goodwin, a spokesman for the regional Metropolitan Transportation Commission, said the maze is one of the worst spots for traffic in the Bay Area. He anticipates that the impact of Sunday's fire will extend well beyond the East Bay.

"This really strikes at the very center of the Bay Area freeway network," he said, predicting that closure of the two overpasses will "have a ripple effect" across the region.

"It will put more traffic on the San Mateo Bridge, the Golden Gate and the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge," Goodwin said.

This wasn't the first major crash to clog the crucial traffic corridor through Oakland. On Feb. 5, 1995, a tanker loaded with liquefied gas crashed and burned in the MacArthur Maze, killing the driver, injuring 10 other people and creating an all-day traffic jam.

Witnesses said at the time that the tanker, which was changing lanes when it skidded out of control, created a 100-foot-high fireball after it crashed on the connector between westbound I-80 and eastbound I-580, which is immediately northeast of the scene of Sunday's crash and fire.

The 1989 collapse of the Cypress Structure during the Loma Prieta earthquake caused years of detours and traffic problems in the same area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANATOMY OF THE COLLAPSE
3:41 a.m.: James Mosqueda, a Sabek Transportation employee, was heading south along I-880 where it passes beneath eastbound I-580 when the gasoline tanker he was driving overturned and caught fire, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Underneath the roadway:

-- The I-580 overpass was exposed to flames estimated to be about 3,000 degrees. The overpass made of concrete and asphalt was held up by a lattice of structural steel beams attached to concrete columns.

Imminent collapse

-- 3:55 a.m.: The overpass was buckling as firefighters arrived. Steel is known to lose half of its rigidity at 1,000 degrees and begins to melt at 2,750 degrees.

Fallen roadway -- 4:02 a.m.: The I-580 overpass collapsed onto I-880. The driver had walked away from the accident and is being treated for burns to his face, head and neck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HEAT TRANSFORMATIONS
Engineers estimate Sunday’s flames reached close to 3,000 degrees. Here’s a breakdown of heat’s effects.

Molten lava: 3,140°

Iron melts: 2,797°

Steel melts: 2,750°

Gold melts: 1,947°

Silver melts: 1,763°

Steel loses half its rigidity: 1,000°

Lead melts: 622°

Water boils: 212°

Source: "Comparisons" by the Diagram Group and Chronicle research

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:20 am 
Longtime Regular

I said "for the most part"... give a guy a break :) :) :) :) :) :)

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

Selurcspi wrote:
I said "for the most part"... give a guy a break :) :) :) :) :) :)

I just thought it was ironic, I read that article about a minute before reading your post. It was just too perfect a coincidence.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

You should have sent that article to Rosie a couple weeks back.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Actually, compared to the Sportsman's Warehouse
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:54 pm 

NO Gander Mountain store has jack shit for stock as far as reloading is concerned. GM is a nice store, they welcome CCW, but if you're seriously into reloading, they have dies, bullets, and powder for .223, 6 & 7 mm, 30-06 and 308, and 9mm/38/357, 40, and 45, and the selection of even those is limited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:47 am 
Longtime Regular

Agreed Sam, but John at the Gunstop doesn't pass out $10 off purchases of $50 like Gander does.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Well....
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:06 pm 

Discounts are nice, and I spent my $50 on a CCW guide plus some primers, but NEITHER Sportsman's Warehouse or Gander Mountain have 50 caliber or 338 Sierra Matchking bullets. So getting a 45 or 30 caliber bullet for a discount is an option??

PLUS!!!

You can bring your DOG to Gunstop, along with your gun!! Game over!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.