Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Primers. 
 Post subject: Primers.
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:49 pm 

I was looking in the Speer manual for information on primers. Some calibers called out what primers they wanted some didn't. Are they all physically the same size ? I know someone can shine some light on this topic for me. TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

Basically two sizes small and large, with in those sizes there are magnum, rifle and pistol.

There might be more than that but that is all I have encountered.

If I am wrong I am sure I will be corrected.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pretty much you have a small and a large. both pistol and Rifle.

With in that, you have the magnums as well.

CCI tends to be some of the hardest. This will cause possible misfires. CCI also makes a "Military" primer also. If you have a gas gun like an AR or an M14, this will be really helpful to prevent a slam fire from a floating firing pin, Possibly.

Some primers tend to be a little hotter than others. Partly why some are specified and others don't. A chronograph would be about the only way I have seen a difference in primers be seen.

The best primers I have used are the Winchester's and recently have been going to the Magtech's.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:33 pm 
1911 tainted

farmerj wrote:
The best primers I have used are the Winchester's and recently have been going to the Magtech's.

I'm a big Winchester primer fan, maybe federal in a pinch.

So how about some wisdom on the Magtech primers, why are you switching?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
farmerj wrote:

I'm a big Winchester primer fan, maybe federal in a pinch.

So how about some wisdom on the Magtech primers, why are you switching?

$18.99 VS $23.99+

Have also had issues with Winny's pushing out and with CCI and Magtech's staying put.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:51 pm 
1911 tainted

farmerj wrote:
had issues with Winny's pushing out

Really? :shock:

CCI's are OK, but the only time I have ever had a misfires (a few) was with CCI primers and a vintage S&W revolver, so I am not a confirmed fan. Federal seem a little soft for my magnum handgun loads but I am content with them in rifle loads and pistol target loads. Winchester have done everyting I want, .223 varmint loads, a lot and I mean a lot of .45 acp competition loads, etc., etc.

I have shot Magtech ammo in the past, it does fine but I cannot get past the smell. :x

So the Magtech primers do you fine? Please keep us updated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
So the Magtech primers do you fine? Please keep us updated.

Shot a Garand M1 match on Saturday. Shot the 600 yard line with 175 gr SMK and Magtech primers. They ran great. Flat, even and no problems.

The other set of 175's we used was with Winchesters. For some reason the primers were pushed out. I personally think it had to do more with the pockets being reamed out too large. Not the primers.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:08 pm 
1911 tainted

farmerj wrote:
Shot a Garand M1 match on Saturday. Shot the 600 yard line with 175 gr SMK and Magtech primers. They ran great. Flat, even and no problems.

The other set of 175's we used was with Winchesters. For some reason the primers were pushed out. I personally think it had to do more with the pockets being reamed out too large. Not the primers.

Now you raise more questions. All should be equal unless your reamed the "other set" of 175's more?

Please verify "pushed out"? You mean they look like (or basically looked like) a shotgun primer before it is inserted into the case? If so, interesting, have you head spaced the Garand?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:14 pm 

Heres a pic of a win 6-1/2 that slam fired in my AR.

I've shot a couple hundred of them and not had this sort of a problem. It could be many things, could have been foreign material somewhere it shouldn't have been, I don't know. Although when I did pull the bolt out of the carrier some chunks of carbon dropped out after I banged on it a little.(I hate direct impingment, I need to get moving on my piston setup..)

-I'm told pistol primers are softer. A guy I knew said to load up a few .223 rounds and load them in my AR and hold on tight.... I'm not so sure thats a good idea(he was joking for the most part).

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:24 pm 
1911 tainted

JFettig wrote:

Winchester doesn't make 6-1/2 primers, Remington does though, 6-1/2 Remington would be small rifle.

I don't like Remington reloading products at all, have never used them, but that is because I have never heard anything good about them, except maybe their benchrest primers. But I am stuck using their brass in a .221 Fireball, but not by my choice.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:29 pm 

cobb wrote:
JFettig wrote:

Winchester doesn't make 6-1/2 primers, Remington does though, 6-1/2 Remington would be small rifle.

I don't like Remington reloading products at all, have never used them, but that is because I have never heard anything good about them, except maybe their benchrest primers. But I am stuck using their brass in a .221 Fireball, but not by my choice.

I'll take a picture when I get home ;)

Theres a chance that they are a few years old, I got them from my neighbor who doesn't reload much small rifle any more.

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:46 pm 

The original poster asked about the physical size of primers. Rifle primers are made to seat in a deeper primer pocket than pistol primers. That is to say that rifle primers are 'taller' than pistol primers.

The other physical dimension is the 'large' and 'small' designation. These terms refer to the diameter of the primer. This is generally related to the size of the cartridge.

The diameter of Large (Rifle and Pistol) primers is the same. And the diameter of Small (Rifle and Pistol) primers is also the same.

It would not do to try to use a Large Rifle primer in a Large Pistol application. And vice versa.

The power of magnitude of the primer explosion is called it's brisenence. With pistol primers being weaker than rifle, and magnum adding some force to the discharge of it's respective primer type.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

wdm004 wrote:
The original poster asked about the physical size of primers. Rifle primers are made to seat in a deeper primer pocket than pistol primers. That is to say that rifle primers are 'taller' than pistol primers.

The other physical dimension is the 'large' and 'small' designation. These terms refer to the diameter of the primer. This is generally related to the size of the cartridge.

The diameter of Large (Rifle and Pistol) primers is the same. And the diameter of Small (Rifle and Pistol) primers is also the same.

It would not do to try to use a Large Rifle primer in a Large Pistol application. And vice versa.

The power of magnitude of the primer explosion is called it's brisenence. With pistol primers being weaker than rifle, and magnum adding some force to the discharge of it's respective primer type.

A couple of corrections if I may: Some but not all Rifle primers are taller than pistol, but that is usually the hight of the anvil in the cup, that said if you use a rifle (or a magnum) primer in a pistol load, develop the load very carefully, it can be very dangerous.
The word for explosive power is "puissance" from the meaning power, [Middle English, from Old French, from poissant, powerful, present participle of pooir, to be able; see power].

I don't mean to be picky, but we should be accurate as possible when discussing reloading.
:) :) :)

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:12 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I xannot agree more -

Remember - reloading manuals have recipes for a reason - the reason is - they know a lot mroe than we do about reloading.

" You can get a pretty good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking your head up a bulls ass - but wouldn't you rather take the butchers word for it?"

- Chris farley - Tommy Boy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:56 am 
Longtime Regular

This may be a special case.
From the thread "Rifle primers are harder then pistol"

That would indicate to me that a rifle can put more power on the firing pin.

What do you do when you are shooting a rifle caliber out of a pistol, say .308 out of a Lone Eagle?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.