Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Where can I put my reloading equipment? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:27 pm 

On any one workday I can make anywhere up to about 50,000 rounds of shotgun shells a day. Some slugs, and every size shot known to man in both steel and lead.
The number one way to get lead poisoning is through your face.
There are a few things one needs to do in a loading room situation in order to avoid injesting lead
#1 (and this is no joke!) NEVER allow food and drink in your loading room. That ham and cheese with a coke and chips can kill or maim you over time if one habitually eats or drinks while loading ammo or immediately after doing so without first observing rule #2.
#2 WASH YOUR HANDS.
Dont load any ammo and then handle ANYTHING that goes into your mouth. Believe it or not, one of the main ways people have accidentally poisoned themselves over time is loading ammo and then stepping outside for a smoke break. Toothpicks, applying lip balm, or even putting a stick of gum in your mouth without washing your hands can be a big mistake made over time. Oh--and a nail brush is your friend. Trust me on this.
#3 Air compressors kill.
Got a dirty work area? No problem! Have it cleaned up in a jiffy! Er...wait.
Unless you are wearing a dust mask, forget the compressed air line as a means of cleaning up the loading bench. Lead dust may not travel far from your work area, but breathing the dust from spent primers is not healthy.Forget the air hose or canned air. Get a broom and a bottle of 409 and a rag.
As far as clothing goes--unless you are constantly exposed to lead dust clouds I wouldn't worry about seperate laundry loads. Cast your own bullets? Coolness. Keep a seperate pair of coveralls in the garage to wear while casting. Don't let children chew on your laundry. :wink:

That should cover all the main bases. Those three main rules cover all the bases. Then there is my personal rule:
#4 TEACH a child the rules of lead safety and then teach them to reload.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:14 am 

Lots of good advice here so far, I do not have a lot to add other then have fun and I load in my basement. I have a gun room....the gun safe, the Dillon's and I have a ball. I have never had any problems. Loading ammo is almost as much fun and shooting it!! :D almost!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.