Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Plated Bullets 
 Post subject: Plated Bullets
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Are plated bullets harmful to barrels? What's the difference between plated bullets and jacketed? I see that Rainer plated bullets are about half the cost of jacketed bullets. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Plated bullets are lead bullets that have about a 0.003 inch copper plating. There are 2 common brands. Rainer and Berry. I like Berry better and I can get them cheaper. (I buy them at Cabela's when they have their special customer discounts. Shipping kills most ordering through the mail.)

A jacketed bullet has a copper outer shell which is probably 0.020 or so thick. The lead core fits inside this jacket. The jacket is formed, the lead core inserted and then the jacket is formed again around the lead core. This is a very simple explanation of the process. More expensive than just plating a swaged lead bullet.

There is a lot of design that goes into the "Terminal Ballistics" of a bullet. Depending upon the designs, the bullet can explode upon impact, hang together for deep penetration with minimal expansion or anything in between. The technology of Terminal Ballistics" has improved greatly over the last 20 years.

The main advantage I feel a plated bullet has over a lead bullet is that it does not leave the cloud of smoke from the lube used on lead bullets. The copper acts as the lube on the plated or jacketed bullets.

I use lead bullets mainly in my 45 ACP except on those days it is calm or humid (or indoors) when the smoke from lead bullet lube hangs in the air. Some people are concerned about lead poisonning shooting and loading lead. I get annual check-ups (because of cancer) and have the doctor do a lead test (only about $25). It has never been anywhere close to the limit. I personally think some people are more susceptable to lead poisionning than others. I know some shooters that have higer levels. I just don't.

Plated and even more so jacketed bullets can be driven at a higher velocity than lead bullets. When driven too fast, the lead strips off in the rifling and the bullet does not spin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:09 am 
Forum Moderator

westhope wrote:
Plated and even more so jacketed bullets can be driven at a higher velocity than lead bullets. When driven too fast, the lead strips off in the rifling and the bullet does not spin.

I think both manufacturers recommend velocities below 1200 ft/sec, although that doesn't seem to prevent a lot of net posters from claiming using plated bullets with high velocity loads, especially 10mm.

I've only heard of jacketed bullets flying apart in relation to real light rifle bullets pushed through barrels with a fast twist -- eg, 1:7 or 1:9 barrels and 40gr and under .223 bullets. I've never heard of a handgun bullet doing this.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.