Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Who reloads pistol ammo? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:05 pm 

cobb wrote:
Brewman wrote:
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've used one of those mallet inertia pullers for my oopses without any problems. Those include mis-seated primers, rounds I wasn't sure got correctly charged, etc...

That makes two of us. :)

Make that three.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

OK, my problem is I have some with primers (no powder or bullets) that I can't use. (Let's not delve into why--it wouldn't make me look very smart!)

The solvent idea sounds great. What solvent? I just want to render them harmless and toss them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

gunflint wrote:
I reload for a .41 magnum. I used to think that it saved money but really reloading just allows you to shoot alot more for the same money. :wink:

I find this to be very true! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Old Dude wrote:
OK, my problem is I have some with primers (no powder or bullets) that I can't use. (Let's not delve into why--it wouldn't make me look very smart!)

The solvent idea sounds great. What solvent? I just want to render them harmless and toss them.

Gun-cleaning solvent works. So does -- bet you didn't think of this -- putting them in the chamber of a gun and pulling the trigger. Wear ear protection!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Old Dude wrote:

A good soaking with WD-40 would work. (What CAN'T it do???)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

It occurs to me that just using a ram primer could shove a high primer into the correct position. If the round ignites in the open, yes there would be some fire and sound, but unchambered rounds don't fire, per se, they just "pop". Haven't you ever tossed a cartridge into a camp fire? You should be safe as long as there's nothing flammable nearby.

As for backwards primers, they can't even do that. Just pull the bullet.

When live ammo makes its way into the range waste bin, and it goes to the smelter, there's so much heat and flame involved in the smelting process that the power of one primer and a few grains of powder is barely discernable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

I recently discovered the little reloader's shop in Hopkins, on Shady Oak Rd., very nice little resource. Normally I go the the place in Excelsior Blvd., in Glen Lake, or the Sportsmen's Warehouse in Coon Rapids. I hav been to Wolf's Den in Hugo a couple times, too. And the wife and I checked out the new Cabela's in Rogers, where I bought some bullets, too.

Any other local places I should check out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle,

What is the place on Shady Oak called?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:06 pm 
1911 tainted

chunkstyle wrote:
I recently discovered the little reloader's shop in Hopkins, on Shady Oak Rd.

How about a little more info, like the actual name and street number. :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Old Dude wrote:

I believe we use Hoppe's #9 for destroying live range sweepings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dave Matheny wrote:
Old Dude wrote:

Gun-cleaning solvent works. So does -- bet you didn't think of this -- putting them in the chamber of a gun and pulling the trigger. Wear ear protection!

<Sound of heel of hand slapping against forehead>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
chunkstyle,

Ammo craft. Just north of main street, on the north side of an old strip mall. 4314 Shady Oak Road, on the west side of the street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

chunkstyle wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
chunkstyle,

Ammo craft. Just north of main street, on the north side of an old strip mall. 4314 Shady Oak Road, on the west side of the street.

How does it compare to Gunstop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Oh, it's smaller, and less complete. But it adds variety to our choices. He had some Norma bullets I can use that are no longer made.

He seems to aim toward shotgun reloading, but has some stuff for metallic cartridge, too.

Last time I was there, I got some powder and a few accessories, as well as the Normas.

Last edited by chunkstyle on Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:03 pm 

Been using an inertial bullet puller for 20 years without a problem. As for primed cases, a drop of oil in the bottom of the case will neutralize the primer. Even oil occurring naturally on skin can apparently destroy a primer, so we never handle a primer except with tweezers.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.