Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Dillon 550 owners 
 Post subject: Dillon 550 owners
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

What is the distance between the top of the shellplate and the bottom of the toolhead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

The way mine is set up today the distance is 3.920 inches.

Out of curiousity why do need that particular piece of information.

Not that it really matters.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:37 am 
Forum Moderator

jac714 wrote:
The way mine is set up today the distance is 3.920 inches.

Out of curiousity why do need that particular piece of information.

Not that it really matters.

I'm wildcatting a 650 to load .50AE. Dillon does not officially support .50AE on the 650, only the 550.

Thus far it looks like it will work, but its a bit of tinkering to get it right. You have to use the N shellplate and station 1 adapter (from the .44-40 kit), #4 locater buttons (same as .44 Mag), the magnum rifle casefeed adapter (to use the XL body bushing, same as the supported .500 S&W Mag), and the XL powder die and .50AE powder funnel from the 550 kit.

The last item is why I asked -- in order to get case mouth belling, I need the powder die screwed in within a hair's breadth of the shellplate because the .50AE powder funnel is so short; that shortness made me wonder what the height was on the 550. The .500 Mag can get away with it on the 650 because the case is much longer; the .50AE is much shorter, requiring the die screwed in pretty far.

The 650 must have a pretty tall height, since I've noticed when using non-Dillon dies you usually have to screw the sizing die way, way down. The Redding 10mm dies I have I have to either use the Dillon 1" lock ring or put the Redding rings on the underside of the toolhead since there's barely any die thread left on top of the toolhead for the lock rings.

The belling fallback for .50AE is to just use the normally unused RCBS belling die in station 3 and just use the Dillon parts for powder, but I'd rather have it all on station 2, and it looks like it will *just* work.

At $.50/shot *reloaded*, I'm not sure why I'm so driven to use a press capable of 1000 rounds an hour, but I guess that's why its a fun hobby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

I am currently set up with shell plate #1 (.45 ACP)

Good Luck.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.