Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:08 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Reloaders Part II 
 Post subject: Reloaders Part II
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Recently there was a thread about pistol reloading.

I cast my own lead bullets using wheelweights that the local tire shop gives me in exchange for me patronizing their business. Knowing the owners doesn't hurt, either.

For those who reload pre cast bullets, where do you get them?
Any local casters you'd recommend? Or reasonably priced online or mail order?

For those who do cast their own- how do you acquire your lead, if you don't mind sharing. I'm not looking to muscle in on your sources, just looking for alternatives in case the wheelweight arrangement I have falls through.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

Cast & Blast Bullets

Leo Dwyer 507-334-8974

Doesn't have a web site.

J&S Guns in Burnsville sells them. Ahlman's in Morristown sells them He will sell them direct too. He lives a little west of Faribault. He casts bullets, reloads ammo and does gunsmithing (he does all my S&W revolvers to clean up the triggers also good with 1911's).

I've used his bullets for years (7,500 to 10,000 annually) mostly 200 gr. SWC 45 ACP. He casts many others. He has good equipment. I did a statistical annalysis on diameter and weight of several cast bullets makers before I chose him. His had the lowest standard deviation on these two parameters. He casts, lubes and sizes all bullets.

He runs the IDPA matches at the Faribault Rifle & Pistol Club. I help him run these matches.

Automotive wheel weights are not the proper hardness for bullets. They need to be alloyed slightly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:48 am 
Longtime Regular

I have been using Meister Bullets. GS in Minnetonka sells 'em, so does Sportsmen's Warehouse in Coon Rapids. There are other brands around, too, I see Laser-Cast a lot.

Lately, though, I have been moving to plated bullets. No leading, and not much more expensive. Berry's is carried by the new Cabela's in Rogers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

chunkstyle wrote:
I have been using Meister Bullets. GS in Minnetonka sells 'em, so does Sportsmen's Warehouse in Coon Rapids. There are other brands around, too, I see Laser-Cast a lot.

Lately, though, I have been moving to plated bullets. No leading, and not much more expensive. Berry's is carried by the new Cabela's in Rogers.

I tried some plated bullets for .45ACP and wasn't all that happy, having only loaded jacketed up that point. They required a lot more attention in seating than jacketed (I got a bunch smooshed), which means a lower production rate.

They also don't recommend loading them over 1200fps, which means I can't use them for 10mm, since most 10mm loads are real close to 1200fps.

And all-in-all, the savings isn't all that great; Midway sells Rainer plated for about $70/1000 for 10mm 180gr and there are at least two brands in the mid-$80s for jacketed. For the money, I'd sooner load faster and not have to worry about jacket seperation.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.