Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:29 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 howzabout a reloading section? 
 Post subject: howzabout a reloading section?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

I spend more time on this forum than on any other, so it'd be nice if I could also take my reloading discussions and questions here, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'd be up for that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

I started a thread on that earlier:

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=655

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:16 am 
1911 tainted

Who will be the first to point out the evils and legality of carrying handloads for self defense???????????

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:52 am 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
Who will be the first to point out the evils and legality of carrying handloads for self defense???????????

This is always a fascinating topic, I think. I don't carry my own loads -- anywhere but to the range, that is.

I've heard arguments both ways, mainly against. and while I have to agree that any justified shooting is a justified shooting, I am coppering my bets in this respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Someone told me that Bill's banned the shooting of reloads... Is this true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

With my reloads I'm not concerned about any liability on my part- either lethal force is indicated or it's not, IMHO. But most of my reloads are LSWC bullets, hardly what I'd choose for a self defense round.
If anything, my reloads would be kinder and gentler. I reload to the low end of power and pressure, and use nice non hollow point bullets.
I've experienced about the same rate of failure to fire on store bought ammo vs my reloads. One or two primers every few thousand don't fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ask and ye shall receive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:

Thanks.

Now as far as asking- How's about a nice 7 series Beemer? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
Someone told me that Bill's banned the shooting of reloads... Is this true?

Not that I'm aware of, unless you mean using reloads in the rental guns.. that's a no-no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Brewman wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

Thanks.

Now as far as asking- How's about a nice 7 series Beemer? :wink:

Here ya go.

Well, on the forum, at least, I'm generous. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

cobb wrote:

From what I've read, this is a complete myth backed with absolutely zero cases. It's also not really very logical -- let's say I load up some ultra-mankiller 9mm ++PPPP++ rounds; in an otherwise legal shooting why would that count against me but simply shooting a more powerful factory round in a larger cartridge, like 44 mag, wouldn't?

IMHO the best argument against carrying handloads is reliability, but I find that to be somewhat dubious as well; with small exceptions in a gun new to me, my reloads have been as or more reliable than any factory ammo I've shot, and this includes reloaded 10mm cases where the headstamp is wearing off the case and the rim is getting clawed up by the extractor.

I think you can load carry handloads if you do it right -- use factory-new brass, stay well within published loading data (for weapon reliability) -- crimp sizes, case length, primer type, powder measures, bullet choices, etc, and load up enough (~500 rounds) to shoot to ensure reliable function. Ideally (and I haven't found where I can do this), chronograph them as well so you know they're performing as expected.

I carry factory Silivertips in my Glock 29, but only because it's as ballistically good as anything I'd load myself and at the time I bought them, I didn't have any new cases, bullets or the time to load them.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.