Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 How often to change media 
 Post subject: How often to change media
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

I thought this might be worth its own thread. I have been using the same media for cleaning now for about a year. It is clearly darker than when I started, but still seemingly doing its job.

Question: Will it just gradually take more and more tumbling to achieve the same level of cleaning? Or is there some other indication that its useful time has passed? I guess I could spring for some new stuff, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

When I bought mine I asked John Walton @ the Gunstop when to change it and he said "When it turns black". I've tumbled about 3-4k of mainly nickel cases about 60/40 10mm/45 ACP and mine is a darker shade than when I started, but doesn't seem less effective.

I figure a this pace I might never change it or do it as a once every 18 months situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

If John Walton says so, then it's so. He is as knowledgable as anybody I know in this sport.

Still, I think I'll change the media after it gets to some shade short of black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Please forgive the off topicness of this, but this discussion reminds me of a scene in the movie "This Is Spinal Tap". The band is discussing the release of their new album "Smell the Glove", which had a cover so disgusting that in order to get stores to accept it, they had to make the whole cover just plain black- copying the idea behing the Beatles White Album.

As the band members discussed just how black this album cover was, one member said "When you look at this, you ask yourself just how much blacker can this get, and the answer is "none more blacker"", or something to that affect.

I now return us to our regularly scheduled topic on media:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.