Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:47 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How Many "Practice" Hunting During the Off Season? 

Practice Makes Peferct (or NOT)
I practice routinely  53%  53%  [ 10 ]
I don't practice until near hunting season  32%  32%  [ 6 ]
Why waste time with practice  16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 19

How Many "Practice" Hunting During the Off Season? 
 Post subject: How Many "Practice" Hunting During the Off Season?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

Just curious and wondering just how many hunters practice their hunting skills during the "off season"?? If so, what kind of practice do you participate in??

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Unfortunately, I don't really practice much until near hunting season. I will get out in the woods and stalk deer a little out of season every once in a while just for the fun of it, but other than that, not really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:47 pm 
Journeyman Member

In my never ending quest to 'restore the delicate balance of nature', i chase varmints and vermin most of the year.Coyotes, rats, gophers, pigeons, starlings, whatever. Mostly i stick with a .22 to keep my chops up. (ok, i cheat, it's a match grade bench rifle and it'll cut a dime all day). In any case, it keeps me ready for the bigger critters.

NRA Life
JFPFO Life
GOA Life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Coyote - calling, concealment, hunting, tracking, and shooting year around......... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don't do much after hunting season until the golf course opens up. Then I do this:

http://www.jokaroo.com/funnyvideos/airhorn.html

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:42 pm 
1911 tainted

Does prairie dogging count?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

I prefer to keep my skills up by 'hunting' the two legged doe variety. Season is open all year and you don't need a special permit. :twisted:

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:16 pm 
1911 tainted

mo_the_mouse wrote:
I prefer to keep my skills up by 'hunting' the two legged doe variety. Season is open all year and you don't need a special permit. :twisted:

My license for that got suspended about 24 years ago. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:26 am 
Longtime Regular

mo_the_mouse wrote:

Of course you know there CAN be a HUGE penalty for bagging one "in season" right? They can take away your "hunting" privilages and/or fine you heavily! :lol: :lol:

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:21 am 
Longtime Regular

BigRobT wrote:
I don't do much after hunting season until the golf course opens up. Then I do this:

http://www.jokaroo.com/funnyvideos/airhorn.html

VERY Funny!

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:42 am 
Longtime Regular

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
mo_the_mouse wrote:

Of course you know there CAN be a HUGE penalty for bagging one "in season" right? They can take away your "hunting" privilages and/or fine you heavily! :lol: :lol:

Mostly-

True...Very true... But at least I can go spotting if nothing else.

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:55 pm 

I've been out quite a bit the last month or so shooting the .22 with iron sights at the cabin. I checked my zero on the .270 Friday, and it was still nuts-on (1.5" high at 100 yards) from the last time I shot it. I also have a new Marlin 30-30 that I put ghost ring sights on and zero'd, but it looks like I am going to mount a scope on it before the season, so I will go out at least 4-5 more times before rifle opener to make sure that the new rifle is not having any scope or mount issues if it is needed this year (it's the backup rifle).

I plan on hunting with my .44 magnum, so I will also get out 4-5 more times practicing with that as well. The red-dot takes some getting used to, and I am only good out to about 50 yards from a rest, 25 without right now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

My wife and I, our daughter and her husband and their 2 girls were up at the family hunting cabin the last 5 days. Just got back a couple of hours ago.

Deer everywhere. When we drove up there were 3 in the road by our entrance road, and 4 more just past our gate. This was in the middle of the day. Later in the evening there were 7 in the back yard eating the clover we plant there. Mostly does but there was one 10 point buck. You can't take a stroll in the woods without seeing a couple. That will all change on opening day. After the first few shots they get pretty wary.

My guns are sighted in, stands are all up and we're ready to go...

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:32 pm 

I shoot NRA Highpower (200, 300 and 600 yards) in the summer. I probably shoot more in one season than most hunters shoot in their lifetime.

That being said, I'm not sure I'm going rifle hunting this year, I may just stick with my bow.

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:48 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I basically consider hunting a good opportunity to walk in the woods with friends and take time out of life.

I make sure that I can adequately hit with my rifle and that all is 100% functional and safe.... I do not enjoy shooting my hunting guns in the off season - ultralight (5.5 lb 30-06 and a 6lb 270) rifles that kick way too hard for me to tolerate on a continual basis. I do not care for getting the tar beat out of me....

Perhaps I will get stomped on for this - but I do not do a lot of off season practice for hunting.

I have the same 270 and 06 hunting ammo that I loaded like 8 years ago... Still shoots to the same place - every time.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.