Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:42 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Have I mentioned Hog hunting? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:59 pm 
On time out

Vas is Los ????

Andrew, that is forbidden!!

actually it depends on where its from, sometimes its better, as free range beef is better than feedlot, but sometimes depending on where they eat, its unpalatable,

The hogs from my father in laws area eat some kind of swamp vegetation that makes the meat almost inedible, and usually, they are just dumped in the fire pit rather than eaten, they kill about one hundred a year in and around his property.

I have killed some further south in Arkasas that were as tasty as the best farm raised pork, but they were growing up on soybeans and veggies, rather than eating swamp roots and dead fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:41 pm 

Deleted

[color=#800040]"The Key To Freedom Is The Ability To Defend Yourself" [/color] You know where to find me - [color=#0000FF]www.definitivefirearmtraining.com [/color]- definitivefirearmtraining@yahoo.com - http://riflesnguns.proboards77.com/index.cgi

Last edited by Chaindriven on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:01 am 

Looks delicious!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:06 am 

Deleted

[color=#800040]"The Key To Freedom Is The Ability To Defend Yourself" [/color] You know where to find me - [color=#0000FF]www.definitivefirearmtraining.com [/color]- definitivefirearmtraining@yahoo.com - http://riflesnguns.proboards77.com/index.cgi

Last edited by Chaindriven on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:36 am 

I was drooling just looking at the pic. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Hog Wild
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:35 am 

My fiance is from SW TX and I went deer hunting(archery) and hog hunting this december/janury and it was a blast. There are hogs everywhere and it is true that if you can locate the land owners some are willing to let you hunt as much as you wish. I would most certainly get a permit to carry allowing you to legally carry in TX especially if hunting near the border as we encountered more than one "border jumper." Most avoid contact(obviously) but with my fiance growing up there and two cousins are BP agents there, they say they would never venture out into the "monte" (bush-like hunting terrain) unarmed. That being said....i am definately going again in May! BTW - feral hogs have a unique taste - noticeably different than farm hogs, but i thought it was good.

Post subject: Re: Have I mentioned Hog hunting?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:38 am 

I think the feral are comparable to farm raised. They aren't as fat but still tasty.

I was down in TX 10 years ago and hogs are all over the place. If you have thought about hog hunting, DO IT. It's fun, not too much work but a lot of walking, and makes a great story that won't empty your wallet.

I suggest you bring good leather boots because of the snakes and brush. Also consider packing Chaps or field pants since everything down there seems to have thorns.

The last time I went I carried a .410 pistol for snakes. You might not need it but it is nice to have. Have a great time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:49 pm 

I used to drive to TX every January to hunt wild boar/feral hogs.

I used my T/C Contender with either the .223 or the 7-30 Waters 10" barrels - I used them interchangeably depending on my mood for the day.

I found that wild boar in the Grapevine, TX region were good up to about 175-200#. Anything heavier than that, and they were starting to get foul, depending on the groceries/crops/??? they ate. The area I hunted did not have swamps, but grassland, sweetgum, conifer, and corn.

I bought my non-game non-resident hunting license in Athens, TX for something like $45 that allowed me to hunt for some limited number of days.

Wild boar is very good meat as long as your boar isn't eating crap and isn't over 200 pounds, IMNSHO.

YMMV

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:24 am 
Longtime Regular

I didn't think you could eat wild pigs. That's why there's so many of them, no meat hunters

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:03 pm 

Pigs, including wild boar, are highly efficient reproductive engines. Pigs can start having offspring at 6 months, and can have 6-12 in a litter. *THAT'S* why they are so plentiful. Do the math - it's scary how much they can reproduce.

Texans, in my experience, shoot them just to kill them since they do so much damage to the land and reproduce so liberally; unfortunately, even that can't put a dent in their numbers.

Hunt them, Kill them, and Eat them and if this becomes another source of great groceries (and rightly so), then , and only then, will we have a chance at keeping them manageable.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:54 am 

Wisconsin has them listed as an invasive species. I've talked to a couple WI DNR biologists and they encouraged me to get out there and kill 'em! Also gave me several general locations where they've been spotted.

Have yet to see any, but I plan to keep on looking. If nothing else, they're something to shoot when the season's closed on politicians. :lol:

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.