Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What's in season? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:44 pm 

i love shooting porcupines i shoot porcupines all the time at my cabin we take a walk through the woods just looking for them. they eat holes in our deer stands. a good day in the woods is taking out at least 3 porcupines!
parap1445 knows alot about this :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:48 pm 
1911 tainted

Quote:
Unprotected Birds
........ chukar partridge....

Didn't know that. I have a dog training permit to use pen raised pheasants out of season, but they have to be marked, on private property if they are shot and a receipt to accompany them. I would think that I could buy Chukar's locally, wouldn't have to mark them, cheaper to buy, could use public property less hassle all around fro training dogs.

Gotta check into that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:56 am 

I managed to bag a female skunk Saturday evening and a striped gopher yesterday.

.22 rifles rule for pest control.

Do you realize just how small a skunk's body is, compared to the outline of all that furry coat? There's less there than you think there is. I managed 4 hits in 4 shots. The first two were body hits - keeping my distance and she was moving. The third was a front shoulder 'anchor' shot. Number four was insurance. She appeared to be dead but a head shot seemed appropriate before I moved in with the shovel to carry her to the grave site.

I dug a 30-inch-deep hole to put it in, so the dog wouldn't easily dig it up.

The gopher was a one-shot stop. A .22LR hollow-point tends to mess them up pretty badly.

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:24 am 
1911 tainted

JonnyB wrote:
I dug a 30-inch-deep hole to put it in, so the dog wouldn't easily dig it up.

You hope. :lol:

I hit a deer several years ago with my car, got a tag from a sheriff deputy, spread a tarp in the back of my station wagon and threw it in whole. Got home, dumped it in my bean field and gutted it. I buried the internals in what I thought was a plenty deep hole. Next morning I discovered I had wasted my time digging that hole to bury the guts, the hole was back and the guts partially missing and my mutt dog at the time was working on some of the left overs. :(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:05 pm 

I really hope!

If I keep her away from the spot for a while, the chances she'll be interested will, I think, diminish.

One thing in my favor is the dog's breeding (or lack of). She's a border-collie and (something like a) Boston Terrier. Neither are known for their hunting or superior noses. She tends to use her eyes and ears more than nose when we're out walking.

One thing worse than a skunk is a partially decomposed yet still musky skunk.

:shock:

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:48 pm 
Journeyman Member

para45lda wrote:
i love shooting porcupines i shoot porcupines all the time at my cabin we take a walk through the woods just looking for them. they eat holes in our deer stands. a good day in the woods is taking out at least 3 porcupines!
parap1445 knows alot about this :D

As Para45lda knows - the rule on my land is: porcupines MUST be killed!
Definition of a porcupine; Loathsome vermin fit only for extermination

Member-North American Hunting Club
Veteran - US Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:01 am 
Longtime Regular

When I was a kid, all I had was a Diana .22 pellet rifle. I could go on and on about what a masterpiece of German engineering that was but...

Our main targets were crows and pigeons. Pigeons made an unholy mess and crows would root through garbage cans or peck out the foil seals of the milk bottles left on a doorstep (among other things).

After a while, the crows got really savvy and when they saw us come out of the house with a gun (or even a hockey stick), they would take off. My friends and I took to wearing raincoats to hide our guns. That was the only way we could get to cover so we could shoot them. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

You could hunt coyotes, but if you want to keep the hide this is an awful time of year for it.

I generally go in the January time frame. It's post pheasant so I don't have to worry about pheasant hunters screwing things up, plus the fur on the hide is nice and thick and hasn't gotten a chance to get all matted up yet.

That and they are hungry as hell by that time of year.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.