Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 .357 Magnum for deer 
 Post subject: .357 Magnum for deer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:18 pm 

I am considering deer hunting with my S&W model 27 .357 Magnum. I am very accurate out to 30 yards with this gun, that is the farthest I have practiced. I know this is a legal weapon for deer but my question is weather or not it is an effective caliber for deer at a distance of 30 yards or less. I do not know anyone who hunts with a pistol so I would like to know your opinion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:23 am 
Longtime Regular

It's as effective as most pistols. Just bear in mind that a pistol's effective range is significantly less than a rifled shotgun or rifle. It'll be just fine. The DNR has also allowed the use of a 30 Cal M1 but they suggest to treat it like a pistol.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:24 am 

I thought 30 yards might be pushing it for this gun even though I can put all 6 into a six inch circle. I think if I can get a 15 yard shot or so it should be more than enough power. I bowhunt also so I am used to getting close shots.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:00 am 

Pick your shot carefully and I think it will be fine. Absolutely make sure you get both lungs. No Texas heart shots here! A person may get by with marginal hits with a high power rifle, but the shot needs to count with handgun rounds. I'm considering carrying my Python along with me on this years hunt just in case I get an opportunity. Oh, and make sure the bullet is built for penetration. The fast 125 grain HPs might not be the best choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:10 am 
Longtime Regular

Although I normally hunt deer with a .44 mag, two years ago I did take a nice doe with a .357 mag just to see if there was a big difference in killing power.

It was a large adult doe so I'm not talking little fawn. I shot it at about 15-20 yards from my stand. I hit it right behind the left shoulder and the way the deer was facing the bullet angled down and forward for a perfect hit in the "boiler room". The deer ran off at top speed for about 30 yards and fell over dead. It never even twitched after it fell. It behaved about the same as the other deer I've killed with the .44 mag. I was using a 160 grain JSP bullet. If all I had was a .357 I would not hesitate to use it for deer at reasonable ranges. I try not to shoot beyond 50 yards when handgun hunting.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.