Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:33 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Best All Around Hunting Dog? 
 Post subject: Best All Around Hunting Dog?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:32 pm 

A hunt everything kind of canine. Your two cents worth?

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

In my limited experience, really good training is paramount. And female dogs tend to be more obedient and better companions.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Best All Around Hunting Dog?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

boomingmetropolis wrote:

How good is a Shihtzu? :shock:

I have one and have never considered hinting with him. :D

He can't even find a bunny when it stops cold in it's tracks. :lol:

[edit to add]

He loves chasing geese off the beach, but when they flock out onto the water he likes to stop and eat their droppings. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:43 am 
Longtime Regular

Look for long legs, short hair, and no penchant for running.

I sometimes take one of my three Cavalier King Charles Spanials with me when I grouse hunt ... their long hair soaks up gallons of water, the short legs make it difficult to brush-crash, ... no complaints in the running department though, they stay pretty close which is what I like: A dog that works about 20 yards out.

Golden retriever might be the best all-around dog possible, but Kudos to some of the pointers and setters as well. German shorthairs that I have seen tend to be runners so I'd not consider one myself, though I'm sure good training would make a big difference.

Dachsunds I had an older brother that took his miniature dachsund hunting every year for about 8 or 9 years. The dog didn't do much but enjoyed the trips :wink: Kinda like what I do with my cavalier's ... I'm just bringing my friend along even if he isn't an all-star.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:03 pm 

DeanC wrote:
In my limited experience, really good training is paramount. And female dogs tend to be more obedient and better companions.

:lol:

Post subject: Re: Best All Around Hunting Dog?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

JDR wrote:
boomingmetropolis wrote:

How good is a Shihtzu? :shock:

I have one and have never considered hinting with him. :D

He can't even find a bunny when it stops cold in it's tracks. :lol:

[edit to add]

He loves chasing geese off the beach, but when they flock out onto the water he likes to stop and eat their droppings. :roll:

I have found they make great bait for some of the larger preditors. :shock: :P :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:57 pm 
Delicate Flower

Lab or Golden :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:01 pm 

If you go by the numbers, the Lab is the most popular. I've never duck hunted so I have no need for a retriever.

I've owned Brittney's for more years than I can count. I believe hunting upland game over a well trained pointer with friends and family is one of lifes true pleasures.

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
If you go by the numbers,

Well, if you're going by the numbers of prey taken in a day, you'll want a Jack Russell:

Quote:
About 900 rats taken from a game farm in England with a pack of terriers and a smoker.
[/url]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:54 pm 

jdege wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:

Well, if you're going by the numbers of prey taken in a day, you'll want a Jack Russell:

Quote:
About 900 rats taken from a game farm in England with a pack of terriers and a smoker.
[/url]

Note to self: Next time I go Rat Hunting (phat chance) I need a Jack Russell Terrier.

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
I believe hunting upland game over a well trained pointer with friends and family is one of lifes true pleasures.

+1

Love hunting Pheasents with my Gordon Setter, Picking burs out after the hunt over a few beers is very relaxing.

I think Pheasant hunting is one of the best all around hunting trips! Sleep in late, wake for a leisure breakfast depart for the 10:00 or noon opening time, walk through some wonderful prairie landscape with your dog having a great time, done by 4:00 for a bur picking, beers, and a steak dinner around 6:00 then "socialize" into the evening.

Sure puts an early rise for duck, goose, deer, and elk to shame. Even though I enjoy those, but they just are not the same.

Mostly-

Interesting using a dog to hunt rats... we use to use a pellet gun... didn't have to walk the pellet gun in the off season... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
jdege wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:

Quote:
[/url]

Note to self: Next time I go Rat Hunting (phat chance) I need a Jack Russell Terrier.

LOL :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Rip Van Winkle wrote:

It's not just rats. Or not even rats in particular. Jacks were bred for fox. And in North America, they're hunted against both red and grey fox. But also against coon, possum, groundhog, and rabbit.

Of course, these are real hunting dogs - as in it's the dog who's doing the hunting.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

A little bitty terrier shaking the bejiggers out of something almost as big as itself is a sight to behold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:06 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

A buddy of mine has a great Chocolate Lab - normally I have seen chocolates that are dumber than a bad of hammers - but this one is great. Obiedient and very friendly and great with kids....

I used to hunt phesants with my German Shepherd (85# Female...) She could sniff anything out and she used to pounde on them to get them to fly... (Hand Raised Birds)

Now if I could just teach my little cat to hunt... We would be in business..

Buy a male dog - females tend to be higher strung and a hell of a lot more protective and territorial... Males are better IMHO

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.