Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:56 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 My new hunting rifle is almost ready 
 Post subject: My new hunting rifle is almost ready
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:29 pm 
1911 tainted

I have always been a fan of big bores, rifles in 45-70 and 375, handguns in 45 or 454 and 475 Linebaugh.

I have had this for over a year and am finally getting it put together. A Remington 700 Classic action in .35 Whelen, birth year of 1988. A new factory Remington stock, which as of yet I do not know if I have to glass bed or not for accuracy. I think it is a little over scoped, but I have a Leupold 3X9 Vari-X II mounted, but would think a good quality 2X7 would be more fitting.

Plan to use this as a backup to my handgun when deer hunting northern Minnesota this year.

Ignore the messy bench in the background. The rifle behind is a Winchester Light Weight in 22-250 with a Leupold 4X12 Vari-X III that I use on critters. I'm getting that ready for pheasant hunting trips that we run across yotes and foxes.

Last edited by cobb on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Nice rifle. I used to take a rifle along for backup to my handguns too but I no longer do that. I do have to pass on deer that I could easily hit with a scoped rifle but there are enough deer that another usually comes along.

My son in-law got a nice 8 point buck on our land last weekend with his bow. One bad winter and there are so many deer that there will be a mass starvation. I hope to fill 3 tags this season and do my part to thin the herd.

We make a lot of jerky that never lasts very long...

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:01 pm 
1911 tainted

Ramoel wrote:
I used to take a rifle along for backup to my handguns too but I no longer do that. I do have to pass on deer that I could easily hit with a scoped rifle but there are enough deer that another usually comes along.

I have taken 6 deer with a handgun, and had to pass on a few also. I kinda quit hunting with a handgun a few years ago when my son started hunting with us, I wanted a rifle with me as a backup, just in case. This year my son isn't going with us, he doesn't want to miss work because he is saving up for a new guitar and amp and a deer hunting trip will put off the guitar and amp maybe another month. I understand his thinking, he has priorities that I think are in line for a working person. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Cobb wrote:

Quote:
this as a backup to my handgun when deer hunting northern Minnesota

OK Cobb, I've seen you shoot too often to know that if 5 well placed rounds from a 475 Limbaugh won't stop the deer you hunt, I would look for something a LOT bigger as a back-up rifle than the 35 Whelen. (Something in a 50 BMG, 20 mm or 37 mm.)

Looks like a nice project gun.

I think a 3 x 9 is a little too much for MN too. I went with a 2 x 7 on my 30-06 and a 1 -3/4 x 5 on my Ruger #1 in 45-70. I can think of only once I ever used either over the min. power. I like big bores too. I have a 3 x 9 on my 25-06 and it is too much for northern MN.

Good luck & have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:34 pm 
1911 tainted

westhope wrote:
I think a 3 x 9 is a little too much for MN too.

The reason I went with the 3X9 is that I was at an auction years ago and picked up a few scopes new in the box for about half of what you could even buy them for on the internet. So that is what I had left, and that is what got mounted.

You all know that the planning and the trip is maybe the best part of the hunt. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:42 pm 
1911 tainted

westhope wrote:
OK Cobb, I've seen you shoot too often to know that if 5 well placed rounds from a 475 Limbaugh won't stop the deer you hunt, I would look for something a LOT bigger as a back-up rifle than the 35 Whelen. (Something in a 50 BMG, 20 mm or 37 mm.)

Dan, I hope I get a chance at a deer that big. :shock: :shock: :P 8) :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Looks like a really nice gun! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:02 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

NICE rifle...

Nice Caliber....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:18 am 
Longtime Regular

I don't hunt in a rifle zone :( Because of that, I'm more into rifled slug barrelled shotguns. I did learn that Hornady makes an SST slug that seems pretty accurate and for a 2 3/4" slug, it has some kick. Cobb, I'm kind of jealous of the new rifle. Hell, I'm scrimping and saving for a CMP M1 Garand.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:36 am 
1911 tainted

Edited to try and lighten up the pictures so that they will be easier to see. My bench area has plenty of lighting, the problem if I turn it all on, what ever I take pictures of is nothing but glare and shinny spots.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:38 pm 

Nice rifle Cobb. I've always had the hankerin for a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen. I thought it would make a nice brush gun, but since we don't bust the brush like we use to, it's slipped off the radar.

And btw guys, it's Linebaugh....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:06 pm 
1911 tainted

Pred wrote:

Damn, I always get John and Rush mixed up. :oops: :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
Pred wrote:

Large hole in the business end. Expells copious amounts of hot gas at high velocity! Who could keep them straight? :shock: :wink:

Sorry couldn't resist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:44 pm 
1911 tainted

ironbear wrote:
cobb wrote:
Pred wrote:

Large hole in the business end. Expells copious amounts of hot gas at high velocity! Who could keep them straight? :shock: :wink:

Sorry couldn't resist.

:D :D :D Good one. :D :D :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:29 pm 
1911 tainted

And holy house of fire, does it shoot. :shock: :D :D 8) 8)

As you can see from the targets below, I spare no expense. :roll:

I use to work on large mainframe computers and have 3 boxes of green bar continuous form paper that a customer was throwing out. Works great to staple up and put paste type target dots up. For handgun I use bright colored, 4" X 5" address lables that were being thrown out. I think of it as being friendly to the enviorment and recycling a product that is no longer usefull. :P

This was my final 3 shot group at 100 yards, all were under an inch and I had 2 that went at the honest 1/2" , this from a hunting rifle, impact 2 inches above center of bullseye.

I think I will drop the elevation a notch, I really don't need to be 2 inches high at 100 yards, but I do have one stand that I shoot over a field in northern Minnesota and I can stretch that shot about as far as I want to. But in that stand, I usually have a 7mm mag as a back up to my handgun.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.