Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Shortest pheasant hunt yet. 
 Post subject: Shortest pheasant hunt yet.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:30 am 
1911 tainted

Decided to get out this morning and do a little pheasant hunting with my dog Pete, left home a little before 9 am to hit a county ditch that has a lot of growth along the edges.

Hit the spot a little after 9 am, walked a couple of hundred feet and up flushed a rooster. Dropped him on the other side of the ditch, Pete did his job, he went for a short swim and brought the rooster back to me, an older cock with nice spurs. Started to walk again after the rooster was safely tucked in my hunting vest and Pete starts to get birdie again and starts to track, a short distance later, up flushed a hen. After calling Pete off, he is still acting very birdie and starts to work this small area, back and forth and then starts to work in one general direction. Up flush 2 young roosters, I am pretty sure they are both roosters, but I can plainly see that that second one is. Up comes the shotgun, I fire and I miss. A quick follow up shot and the young rooster tumbles, but I can plainly see that the birds head is up and one wing is working, I know he will be running when he hits the ground. I mark the spot where the rooster falls and of course Pete beats me there and starts to work the area a bit, then with his nose to the ground takes off in a bee line. I trot behind and have learned not to doubt him when he wants to go a certain direction after a bird is downed, no matter if I know, or should I say that I think I know the bird is in another direction. After a couple of hundred feet, I see the rooster jump straight up in the air about 3 or 4 feet trying to fly, his problem is that it is only a foot or two in front of Pete. Pete brings back this rooster to me and I am done for the day.

This is my shortest pheasant outing yet, from the time that Pete and I left the Jeep and the time that I was stashing the second rooster in my vest, it was less than 15 minutes.

Some days we are just blessed and lucky, but a dog can be the deciding factor. If it wasn't for Pete, I would have wet legs and would have never gotten that second rooster that I wounded.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.