Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Gentry finally owns up that he shot a tame bear 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Ran across this last night in my weekly Cooper devotional:

The five Gunsite Bear Rules for anyone who may not know them.
• Be alert.
• Do not regard bears as cuddly. They are large, strong, dangerous animals, and upon occasion they can be very fierce.
• Never enter bear country without a powerful weapon and the skill to use it well.
• Do not pitch your camp on a bear run.
• Be alert.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:18 am 

What are y'all? A bunch of tree and bunny huggers?

The guy shot a tame bear. So what? Another BFD in my book. He sure as hell shouldn't be charged with anything, nor should the 'guide'. The 'crime' committed was laziness or, perhaps, vanity. Neither are illegal.

Where's the victim? A dead animal is not a victim!

Much ado about nothing.

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:55 am 
Longtime Regular

No, it's not the end of the world as far as I'm concerned. It's big deal because a very visible, high-profile guy who postures himself as a "real american male" and an avid outdoorsman screwed up and is not all he appeared to be.

Regardless of whether he professes to be a spokesman for hunting, in the ambivalent public's mind, he is.

The deeper problem is it's only a few steps away from this: http://real-hunters.com/bellar-trial-video.cfm

If that doesn't make you sick, I don't know what would.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:14 am 

I have a family friend out in Montana that regularly goes bear hunting, and so I've eaten bear a few times. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's nasty. When I questioned him on it he told me it' largely just depends on what that particular bear eats. Fish honey and berry bears taste good, scavenger and garbage bears taste bad. He also said that bears tend to stick to a particular diet. A bear that eats mostly fish and berries will usually pass on carrion and vice versa.

(disclaimer: this is from a conversation I had over 10 years ago.)

On the other side of things, he once shot a bear in his kitchen while his wife and kids had locked themselves in the bathroom. It was wildfire season and they figured the bear was running from the fire and hungry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:06 pm 

meltedeyes wrote:
largely just depends on what that particular bear eats. Fish honey and berry bears taste good, scavenger and garbage bears taste bad.

+1

The bears we take up north are mostly berry fed and they taste exellent. Like a divine cross between beef and pork. It's the only big game I've had that I enjoy eating and therefore the only big game I hunt.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.