Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:17 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Gentry finally owns up that he shot a tame bear 
 Post subject: Gentry finally owns up that he shot a tame bear
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpr ... 111042.htm

Quote:
Posted on Tue, Nov. 28, 2006

Gentry admits he shot tame bear

Country star was charged with falsely tagging 'Cubby' as wild

Pioneer Press

Country music star Troy Lee Gentry admitted Monday that "Cubby," the bear he killed on a Minnesota farm in 2004, wasn't a wild beast after all.

Appearing in federal court in Duluth on the day his trial was to start, Gentry pleaded guilty to a charge of falsely claiming the animal was wild. The charge, a misdemeanor, was the result of a plea bargain reached last week with federal prosecutors.

"He's glad to get it over with," said Gentry's attorney, Ron Meshbesher, of Minneapolis. "Obviously, he's saddened by all the publicity in this case, which inferred all kinds of improper conduct."

Gentry, 39, and Lee Marvin Greenly, 46, who owns Minnesota Wildlife Connection near Sandstone, were charged in August with conspiracy and falsely "tagging" the "trophy-caliber" bear by claiming it was shot in the wild. In reality, the tame bear was shot in a fenced area of several acres.

After the indictment, Gentry's Nashville agent shifted the blame for any improper conduct to Greenly, and online fan discussion forums were abuzz with debate over whether Gentry was a bona fide big-game hunter or a wannabe.

Gentry, in a statement released by his management company, said he regrets what happened, but he stops short of accepting any culpability other than relying on Greenly's guidance.

"I did participate in improperly tagging the animal I shot, without realizing the seriousness of what I was doing. For that, I am truly sorry," the statement said. "I relied on the experts around me for guidance, and I regret that today. Not so much because I was fined and punished, but because it appears that I don't have respect for the law."

He says the legal case "has been a humbling experience for me, and one which I deeply regret."

Gentry, half the country duo Montgomery Gentry, had previously declined to speak publicly about the bear shooting. The band's Web site works to craft an image of him and Eddie Montgomery as authentic country music icons.

"We're not trying to candy-coat anything. Who we are is who we are. It's all about being real, being yourself, and playing real music to the people," Gentry is quoted as saying in a biographical blurb.

But federal wildlife officials alleged Gentry's self-professed prowess as a bow hunter was candy-coated and in fact not real. The music star paid Greenly $4,650 for "Cubby," a 600-pound black bear that lived on Greenly's 80-acre business.

Gentry, who lives in Tennessee and has a Minnesota hunting license, killed the bear with a bow and arrow as a video camera recorded the action.

When the kill was registered with the state's Department of Natural Resources, however, he said the bear was killed in the wild.

Meshbesher and the U.S. attorney's office worked out the plea bargain last week, and Gentry entered his new plea Monday morning before U.S. District Judge Paul Magnuson, sitting in Duluth.

In return for the guilty plea, prosecutors dropped a felony count against Gentry.

"It was emphasized by the judge … that he was merely charged with an improper tagging where the bear was killed," Meshbesher said. "The bear was legally harvested.''

Greenly pleaded guilty to two felony counts. He is alleged to have set up illegal baiting stations inside Sandstone National Wildlife Refuge, then helped other hunters kill bears at the stations.

Both men will be sentenced later. Greenly could face up to five years' imprisonment on each count and a $400,000 fine.

Gentry has agreed to pay a $15,000 fine and not hunt in Minnesota for five years. He also will turn over the mounted bear, which Meshbesher said is in Gentry's home in Nashville.

While it may not rise to the collectibility status of Hank Williams' Martin D-28 guitar or a Lefty Frizzell rhinestone Nudie suit, the bear could wind up in the hands of a fan. Forfeited items are usually sold by the government at auction, Meshbesher said.

In a notice posted on Montgomery Gentry's Web site after the indictment in August, Johnny Dorris, whose Hallmark Direction Co. manages the band, lashed out at the "false accusations made against Troy in the indictment."

He said Gentry was "disheartened that he has been falsely accused" and shifted the blame to Greenly, saying Gentry had killed and tagged the bear "per the guidance of his professional guide."

Dorris could not be reached for comment Monday.

Gentry is an avid hunter, Meshbesher said. The band's 10-page contract rider even includes an "Attitude Enhancement" section that said any promoter booking the band in winter should provide for "snow skiing, snowmobiling, boating, hunting and/or fishing."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:35 am 
Longtime Regular

That makes me a bit sick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:39 am 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:

A bit? This flat out disgusts me, I ahve enough issues with the "Game Ranch" concept but this is just plain offensive.

It is unfortunate that all he got hit with was a misdemeanor, the "guide" took the hit for the felonies.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

jac714 wrote:
someone1980 wrote:

A bit? This flat out disgusts me, I ahve enough issues with the "Game Ranch" concept but this is just plain offensive.

It is unfortunate that all he got hit with was a misdemeanor, the "guide" took the hit for the felonies.

Well I found it so distrubing that it actually made me physically sick... but just a bit.

I guess what he did sounds a bit too much like going over to a friends house, shooting a pet and then standing around and saying "Look at me, I am a big hunter".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:19 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Whereas I dont have a problem with a game farm (hey its a free country - we think - for now)

I have a HUGE problem with shooting a bear... I like bears... I really like bears... There is NO point to shooting a bear that is not a hazzard or nuisance...

Bears are cool - the kings of the forest - neat animals when left alone and not interfered with... Just amazing animals.

I will kill and eat anything that walks - everything is potentially a meal to me - except a bear they dont taste good - sort of a sacred animal to me SO

Shooting a bear for no other reason to kill a bear is not admirable... you want to eat it - well perhaps I can see clear to forgiveness a tad....

If any of you are bear hunters and are offended - You dont have the right not to be offended...

Just my $0.02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Bear meat is pretty crappy. Look at what they eat and you'll know why: omnivore = eats anything. I've had bear stew and bear jerky. The stew was really tough to choke down even though it was prepared by a guest gourmet chef brought in to the Mpls Club. The jerky was pretty dang good, but you could probably put enough spice on a dehydrated turd so it would be tasty.

The DNR says that the black bear population is too big and is practically begging people to hunt them. I've been considering it. I'd like to be able to hunt something early in the Fall. Although, it seems like making a big bait pile and sitting over it is not very sporting.

I'd love to have a big bear rug on the wall, but I can live without it.

Ever been up to the Vince Schutte Bear Sanctuary in Orr? It's close to where I hunt deer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:35 pm 

DeanC wrote:
Bear meat is pretty crappy.

I had bear "bacon" once. Now *that* was really good, but I'm not sure how I'd fare with 400lbs of bacon in the freezer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

jhp wrote:
...I'm not sure how I'd fare with 400lbs of bacon in the freezer.

That's what heaven looks like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
I will kill and eat anything that walks - everything is potentially a meal to me -

Beware of others of the same mind..........mmmmmmmm..Pinnacle Burgers :D :D :D

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Ever been up to the Vince Schutte Bear Sanctuary in Orr? It's close to where I hunt deer.

Neat place. Swung by there this spring while visiting the wife's dad and step-mom up on Vermillion. Great way to spend an afternoon.

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:34 pm 

Selurcspi wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:
I will kill and eat anything that walks - everything is potentially a meal to me -

Beware of others of the same mind..........mmmmmmmm..Pinnacle Burgers :D :D :D

Hey it all boils down to this - in a pinch anything is potentially a meal - but bears are not on my menu...

I am still pissed that they shot the bear that ate Treadwell - he got exactly what he was looking for. To be with the bears forever...

Basically I love bears - cute - cuddly - deadly... What more could you ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:12 pm 

Pinnacle wrote:

Hey it all boils down to this - in a pinch anything is potentially a meal - but bears are not on my menu...

I am still pissed that they shot the bear that ate Treadwell - he got exactly what he was looking for. To be with the bears forever...

Well, I don't like the meat, but I sure as heck had a BIG rifle with me in Alaska. I'd shoot a bear in a heartbeat if I had to, but I'm more likely to be probed by aliens than I am likely to "have" to shoot a bear.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:02 pm 

goalie wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:

Well, I don't like the meat, but I sure as heck had a BIG rifle with me in Alaska. I'd shoot a bear in a heartbeat if I had to, but I'm more likely to be probed by aliens than I am likely to "have" to shoot a bear.

The if I had to part is UNDERSTOOD and 100% agreed to - but there is no desire to become an active participant in the sport hunting of Bears and as a hunter I cannot even lend my nod to anyone actively participating in a sport bear hunt.

Goalie - remember If I had to shoot a bear to protect myself - zero problem with that - if there is anyone in the world that I am fond of it's ME.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

This is disgusting on so many levels...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:51 pm 

Pinnacle wrote:
Shooting a bear for no other reason to kill a bear is not admirable...

As a lifelong hunter I agree 100%.

I would only add that killing any animal just to kill it is not admirable.

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.