Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:03 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Considering a red dot. 
 Post subject: Considering a red dot.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:44 pm 

Looking for a red dot for my Super Redhawk. Any suggestions pro or con ?

Post subject: Re: Considering a red dot.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

MOTOBOB wrote:
Looking for a red dot for my Super Redhawk. Any suggestions pro or con ?

What's the planned use?
For accuracy for hunting, I would look at a 4X lighted reticle pistol scope. For fun speed shooting (with a Redhawk.....LOL) my personal choice would be a tasco PDP3 or an Aimpoint (high Dollar).
:) :) :) :)

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

I use mine for deer hunting. It's an Aimpoint and is very easy to shoot with both eyes open. For shots out to about 50-75 yards it's hard to beat. Longer range and a 2X scope with a rest is probably needed.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:37 am 

Ramoel wrote:
I use mine for deer hunting. It's an Aimpoint and is very easy to shoot with both eyes open. For shots out to about 50-75 yards it's hard to beat. Longer range and a 2X scope with a rest is probably needed.

Nice setup!!!! I like the looks of it! I need to look into those aimpoints. My dad had a brandx red dot and it was ok. It took a bit to find the dot if you were in a hurry. How does the aimpoint work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ultimate red dot is a Triijicon Reflex http://www.trijicon.com/specialties/military.cfm But the Chevron is much nicer then the dot! around a 12.5 MOA so you can find it easily, then if you need real precision, use the tip of the chevron (like 1.5 MOA)

No batteries to burn out! visiable in both daylight and pure darkness!
Spendy... but worth it!

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Brauchma, after a little practice the dot is easy to find in a hurry. The neat thing is there is no parallax, the dot can be in the center of the scope or off to the side, whatever. Wherever the dot rests on the target is where the bullet hits. My aimpoint is an older one, the new ones are kind of expensive. There are quite a few good red dots available these days for $125-$150. As long as they don't shift under recoil and stay zeroed, one is much like another.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:21 pm 

I have the same setup as Ramoel on a Super Redhawk 44 mag. With an Aimpoint red dot that has helped kill two deer in two years of handgun hunting. I personally like the red dot, it enables me to keep both eyes open making it easier to see the deer and the dot on target. I agree it is good to about 50 -75 yards but that is approaching my limit on a shot at any rate.

I have around 2,000 rounds with the red dot with no shift or problems with zero.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:55 am 

Ramoel wrote:
The neat thing is there is no parallax

As long as you buy a decent one, this is true. With the $30 BSA (and other re-brands of the same scope, as far as I can tell) you do get parallax. I'm not sure why, but you do. We had a Ruger 10/22 set in a gun vice with one, and by moving my head back and forth I could get at least 8" of side to side movement on the target 50 feet away.

Just buy an Aimpoint or an Ultradot or one of the decent brands, and you'll be very happy. (I like the Ultradot http://www.larrysguns.com/ultradot.asp because you get 4 different dot sizes to choose from with one scope.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Red dots are great for those of us with old eyes. I have an Ultradot and am very pleased with it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.